The Official 'Trying to Find a Specific WAD' Thread

mod edit: This is the thread to ask about specific pwads that you remember (e.g. you played them years ago or have heard/seen information about them) but can't locate. Maybe you can't remember the name, or searching based on what you remember has not proved successful. Give us much specific information as you can to help identify the wad, and maybe someone will be able to assist you.

Do not use this thread to ask for warez, or wads that can't legally be distributed.

Do not make general requests for certain types of maps (e.g. a map with lots of cyberdemons). These should be made in other threads and will be removed from this one.

Now back to the original post:
------------------------------------------------------------

Do you people know where this custom doom map can be found. I seem to have played it 3 or 4 years ago but I can't remember what it's name was. I think I have lost the file ages ago. But I do remember some parts of the map. This is what the map included:
- I think the story was about an experiment that went wrong.
- It involves major laboratory scenes as well as some outdoor too.
- It included totally different monster/weapon sprites.
- The player started (I think) inside a garage-like room then into an open yard.
- There was at some points a 3D-model Imp with no animations apart from trying to attack the player, and a 3D-model guy (I think he was red). It will explode when he touches the player.
- The sky was clear blue.
- The mod was for ZDoom.
- This also involved major ZDoom features like 3d-floors and slopes.

Could you please identify this zdoom maps because it's almost impossible for me to find one on the Internet without knowing it's name! Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post

Instead of making a whole bunch of "looking for a certain WAD" threads, maybe we should just have one big one where everyone comes to ask for help. So, if you need help finding a WAD, post a description here, and maybe someone can assist.

Naturally, I'll start: I'm looking for an older WAD. I seem to remember playing it roughly around the same time Boom was in production, so it was released probably prior to 1999 or 2000. I remember it starting on the docks--lots of water around you--outside a warehouse-type structure. Inside the warehouse, I want to say there were lots of UAC crates, and the primary enemy force seemed to be SS Nazis for some inexplicable reason.

Anyone recall a map like that? And, if not, just post your own description for a map you're looking for.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm looking for a DM wad from 94-97 (or thereabout), that used the music from Descent, had a blue sky IIRC, and the whole map was for the most part made up of steps that started high and went downwards across the map.

Share this post


Link to post
Megamur said:

Instead of making a whole bunch of "looking for a certain WAD" threads, maybe we should just have one big one where everyone comes to ask for help. So, if you need help finding a WAD, post a description here, and maybe someone can assist.

For this to work the thread should probably be made sticky as people are not looking for wads often enough for it not to become buried and forgotten.

Share this post


Link to post
Hellbent said:

For this to work the thread should probably be made sticky as people are not looking for wads often enough for it not to become buried and forgotten.

That would certainly come in handy, though I don't know how to sticky threads.

Share this post


Link to post
Megamur said:

That would certainly come in handy, though I don't know how to sticky threads.

I believe it's up to the mods to deem a thread worthy of stickying.

Share this post


Link to post

Well I´m looking for a wad that is maybe 15 years old or more, where maps felt linked to each other, the beggining of one being the end of the previous, some thing I remember were:
- Gallows
- a streetlight (not sprite)
- in the last level, icon of sin said something like: "release me" and it was located inside a building

Share this post


Link to post

That thread reminded me that a friend of mine has been looking for years for an old silly mod that replaced sprites / sounds, had a couple new maps. Some of the "features" I remember:

* BFG was a chicken that fired eggs.
* Rocket Launcher was on the side of the screen as if you were holding it on your arm, I think it also had a huge crosshair.

Share this post


Link to post
Touchdown said:

That thread reminded me that a friend of mine has been looking for years for an old silly mod that replaced sprites / sounds, had a couple new maps. Some of the "features" I remember:

* BFG was a chicken that fired eggs.
* Rocket Launcher was on the side of the screen as if you were holding it on your arm, I think it also had a huge crosshair.


Bleh, this old shit:
http://www.doomwadstation.com/smiley/

Takes a bunch of crap maps from the archives, steals some resources and mixes them with shitty new graphics, and kicks it out the door for unsuspecting players.

Share this post


Link to post
BaronOfStuff said:

Bleh, this old shit:
http://www.doomwadstation.com/smiley/

Takes a bunch of crap maps from the archives, steals some resources and mixes them with shitty new graphics, and kicks it out the door for unsuspecting players.

Yeah, but it had become somewhat a cult classic. I remember hearing about this when I was a kid.

Share this post


Link to post

I believe that would be Boom's deep-water effect. Not sure when that review was posted, 1999 maybe? Dark, confusing times.

Share this post


Link to post
DuckReconMajor said:

What is "undernukage"?

I'm not sure. It sounds sexually suggestive.

Share this post


Link to post

lol if it was sexually related I would have gotten a hell a lot more Google search results. I'm guessing Ed is probably right, just some term for deep water that didn't catch on.

Share this post


Link to post
BaronOfStuff said:

Bleh, this old shit:
http://www.doomwadstation.com/smiley/

Takes a bunch of crap maps from the archives, steals some resources and mixes them with shitty new graphics, and kicks it out the door for unsuspecting players.


That's it, thanks. :)

Share this post


Link to post

Seeing that this thread is here, I am looking for a ZDoom WAD. It is basically just all the Doom, Heretic, and Hexen (Strife too maybe) weapons exposed under Doom with new sprites.

Anyone know what that is?

Share this post


Link to post

I have little detail about this WAD. I have seen it around 17-18 years ago. It was only a demo I have seen on a PC in a computer shop when I was around 7. The only thing I remember is a fairly large dark room with the chainsaw on a pedestal which was the only thing lit there. When the player picked it up Zombiemen either spawned in surrounding the player, or the walls of the room raised revealing them. Later on I remember the player going out in the open. The sky was the first Earth sky from Doom 2, there was some grass and stairs going down with a Shotgun guy killing the player.

I know this is very vague, but this was literally the very first time I saw Doom and I would deeply appreciate it if someone somehow recognized it.

Share this post


Link to post
GhostlyDeath said:

Seeing that this thread is here, I am looking for a ZDoom WAD. It is basically just all the Doom, Heretic, and Hexen (Strife too maybe) weapons exposed under Doom with new sprites.

Anyone know what that is?


Daniel's Xtraweap series or Zweap series? Those certainly had them.

Share this post


Link to post

Someone named Geniac had a list of WADs he'd played with parsimonious descriptors. Most of the ones that interested me I was able to find, but castheng by "James XIII" still eludes me.

Share this post


Link to post
buttspit said:

Daniel's Xtraweap series or Zweap series? Those certainly had them.


It is Xtraweap. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post

It had a lot of novelty shit and I had lots of fun with it.

Share this post


Link to post
kmxexii said:

Someone named Geniac had a list of WADs he'd played with parsimonious descriptors. Most of the ones that interested me I was able to find, but castheng by "James XIII" still eludes me.

The author sent it to me earlier this year. It wasn't zipped so the WAD timestamp is when I downloaded it. The text file is a copy of the email with descriptions of all the maps.

http://www.mediafire.com/?8v819qqh785509x

Share this post


Link to post
Mad Butcher said:

The author sent it to me earlier this year. It wasn't zipped so the WAD timestamp is when I downloaded it. The text file is a copy of the email with descriptions of all the maps.

http://www.mediafire.com/?8v819qqh785509x


Whoa, ask and you shall receive! Amazingly, it looks like he actually filled it out to a megaWAD? Thanks a million!

Share this post


Link to post

I've been looking for a particular Doom II wad for ages. I remember that some of the maps were variations of the originals, there was a Tricks'n'Traps for instance which looked roughly the same until you got into it. There were also original maps, one of them I remember well because it had around 6 or 7 yellow doors as well as a blue and a red. You start the map in a circular area surrounded by half a dozen tall open lifts.

I've been through most of the well-known megawads without success so far. I'm hoping there must be someone out there who remembers this megawad.

Share this post


Link to post
RjY said:

Darch: I am almost certain you are looking for Cleimos 2 (part1, part2)


That´s the one, thanks a lot! What a rush of nostalgia to play this again! This was the first pwad i got my hands on, I don´t know how we´ve got this, there wasn´t even internet here yet.

Share this post


Link to post

Another one I'm trying to recall. It was one of the earliest MegaWADs to use Boom features. (Or maybe it wasn't a MegaWAD. Maybe it was just a few levels. But it replaced more than one map, at least.) Boom gimmicks aside (such as the aforementioned "undernukage"), it was fairly "vanilla" overall, using standard enemies and weapons and such. The biggest alteration I recall was that the green teleporter fog was replaced with a black/gray smoke sprite. The sky texture may have been blue, as well.

Share this post


Link to post

Does anyone have a copy of this? Basically, it's a project which recreates the Doom 3 maps in a classic style and I lost the .WAD in an ill-prepped HD format about a year ago. That download link on WIP leads to some bullshit filesharing site that demands a proprietary (probably spy/spam/malbot-ridden) client and I'm just not going there.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now