Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reinchard666

Reinchards high resolution textures and sprites - demo available

Yes, the new one looks better, but far away from perfect.
I redesign STARTAN3, becouse the old one pissed me off. This one is not finished, but I try make something as close to the original as possible. Tell me what you think about this one (is not complete yet, and no tile, so here are ingame screens):

I think the old one is better. Maybe you could include both textures and let the player choose?

One more thing, will you also make hi-res sprites of the of the weapons and enemies as well?

These are genuinely starting to look like they were what the originals were downsized from. Definitely best high res textures I've seen for Doom.

Flynn Taggart said:

It looks way better than the old one. Also will you be doing skies?

actually, would it be possible to include fancy new animated skyboxes for the skies? so that, for example, you could have a few different layers of the chinese mountains, with various layers of fog/mist that blanket them and slowly move.

That's actually almost (if not the exact) same thing Doom Acension is doing with their skies. Altough I think doing a fully animated skybox that stays truly faithful would be time consuming. (Although I haven't messed with anything above Terragen Classic unregistered for skyboxes)

Mechadon said:

Oh yea, hi-res tekwall! Looks pretty neat so far. Looking forward to that one since it's one of my favorite stock textures :D

I'm guilty as well for raping the tekwall texture in my maps. :P
Whenever there's a small spot in my maps that I can't find a texture for, I use either shawn or tekwall.

I start working on some hires version of hud sprites based on models. I start making shotgun based on dakota toy, with some more realistic materials. Thats what I'm showing now is very, very early wip. But there is a few problem if you ant use real model based on that toy, becouse sprite in game is strongly modified - I recognize this, when I look closer to the reloading sprites and when I try render scene from first person view. The main problem is shape of barrel. I'm sure that Adrian Carmack must modified them in some way, becouse cylindiical shape of barrel looks different from first person perspective. Thats what we see in the game is more angular. In addition there is some strange artefact attached to the side of shotgun barrel - I pointed this in picture below. For now I still working on this model, materials and bone - animation for hands, which is very frustrating.

Original shotgun that id use:

My model based on this and on some pics from Perkristian (this one look more like version from alpha):

Model with modified barrel:

Strange shape of barrel:

Awesome to see you're working on HUD sprites- Can I make a suggestion? I've never seen someone try to implement heat discoloration in a minigun or chaingun sprite. I think it would make it look really neat!

Reinchard666 said:

Oh, and here is new version of startan3 texture:

Sorry, don't like it at all now. That "parched leather" detail overlay looks totally out of place IMO.

You can always use version from dhtp :P
But seriously, maybe I release two versions of startan, becouse this one with detail work well for me in game, but I respect the opinion of other players.

Any ideas about this thing in shotgun sprite?

DaniJ said:

Sorry, don't like it at all now. That "parched leather" detail overlay looks totally out of place IMO.

I feel the crackling does look out of place, it makes it look like a different material than the material StarTan was intended to be based on by the original artist.

I like crack overlay of the STARTAN3. Although to make everyone happy, you could tone it down so it isn't so pronounced to some people. Are you gonna put it on the older STAR textures? And about the shotguns, the one with the round barrel looks better.

Its not really the presence of the low frequency detail I dislike (though tbh you'd be better placing that sort of thing in a detail texture...), its the pattern of it.

For being in WIP, It's looking good. Although the original shotgun doesn't have those vertical things on the barrel and it looks like it's outward/tilted up too far.

With some extra glances I think it might be fine without that reflective look. It just makes the gun look like it's made of plastic.

Ok, today I went back to work on the textures and did brown96, but I have mixed feelings about final effect. I don't know, maybe too much dirt?

Version 1 (tiled)

Version 2 (not finished, and less similar to the original)