Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reinchard666

Reinchards high resolution textures and sprites - demo available

Reinchard666 said:

I will try to do something with this picture. I have some ideas, but I don't know if I can do this properly. The first thing that should be clarified is what exactly is on that picture? Some time ago I think there is some kind of greek god, but when I saw shield on his arm I realize that must be knight in armor. But then I look at colors and green stains and now I think ther is a stone statue. Maybe someone from the community can paint this?

I'm sure that you must have seen this judging by the detail in your picture but, just in case, here is the Shadowcaster texture that shows it in a little more detail than the Doom2 texture does.

It is also perhaps worth pointing out these two features that are in the cropped down picture but, perhaps, shouldn't be:

I just wanted to nit-pick a few things I have spotted that have kinda bugged me.

STONE2 and STONE3's rows of bricks aren't evenly sized compared to the original. If you go to the 2nd room of E2M1 and look where the two textures meet together you might see what I'm talking about. (same goes with the switch variants)

The horizontal lines on BROWN1 and switch variant are not aligned correctly compared to the original. You can see this in the E1M6 blue key maze where the switch is.

STARGR2 still needs to be updated to match the other STAR textures.

Also, COMPUTE2 and COMPUTE3 have 2 different looking computer panel parts (COMPUTE3 looks grungier) but they are the exact same on their original textures.

I spent a lot of time matching gaps between the stones to fit it perfectly to the original and in my opinion they are perfect. Try dwonsize my texture and paste them next to original. About E1M2 second room - I think there is something wrong with texture alingment. You can see it even in low resolution if you look closely, but it is not nearly as much as shown in the high-resolution. Maybe I can work on it but it's plans for the future.

Here you can see that both stone2 and stone3 textures are that same (not perfectly tiled yet, but gaps are the same):
http://i.imgur.com/J3sNonD.jpg

I agree completely with the rest of your comment.

For some time I'm working on flat1_1 because I can't watch at the one from the dhtp. I tried to match the colors and gamma and I think my version is close to the original.

Unfortunately, in the game both textures looks completely different, my version look too dark as you can see here:

I agree that the colour could use a little work but overall it doesn't look anything like as bad as your screenshot seemed to show.

I think your gamma is too bright in that picture. The other textures and sprites look a little brighter than usual in that picture. (But I don't really play Doomsday engine a lot so I don't know)

Also the that texture looks awesome. The grout and grime makes it look so real. Plus I noted that you also still need to tweak COMPTILE, DOORSTOP and SUPPORT2 and there are two computer screens on PLANET1 that need to be swapped.

Re: Texture gamma in Doomsday

Which version of Doomsday are you using? I tested this under the latest version 1.9.10 and observed no issues with texture gamma.

Reinchard666 said:

I have good old 1.15.6...

a.k.a 1.8.6 (1.15.6 is the version of the JDoom plugin included with 1.8.6). It's a version I am pretty familiar with and I've never experienced such gamma issues with hi-res textures.

That said one should consider updating as 1.8.6 is over 8 years old.

Note that in 1.8.6 hires textures were not affected by texture gamma correction. So if you are using DOOM's texture gamma correction (like the aforementioned screenshot and Flynn Taggart suggests) then that would explain it.

Looks great. The trim on the banners looks a little dull as the original had it a more golden color. Also the trim on the original appeared to be braided like this:

As Flynn rightly pointed out, there are problem with brown96 and brown144 in E1M4. I'm change brown144 to be much more like brown96:

http://i.imgur.com/Avtzbyq.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ZcZiTS4.png

Both textures are now tiled together, but there are little misalignment in the map, but this is also visible in original low resolution.

About the trim - for now I leave this as is, maybe I tryt do something with color.

Much better. Although the green parts can look a little out of place as BROWN144 is also used as the texture for outside areas. and the edit to BROWN96 looks great, too.

The grey borders look 'blurry' for some reason.

Perhaps it's because of how sharp the circuits look. I'd say the circuits are the issue rather than the borders though.

It's also debatable as to whether the coloured blocks are actually suppose to be lights.

Da Werecat said:

CEIL3_5 should have tiny rivets on each plate.

Snip

While I agree with this statement, I do think that Reinchard's version without the rivets looks more futuristic in a way and more appealing in a lot of mapsets where the flat is used in general. All while still looking faithful to the original.

Also, I think the circuits on DOORRED look too bright compared to the others.

Sorry for the double post. Since I was tired of seeing COMPTILE stick out like a sore thumb in a handful of mapsets, I adjusted the panels to look more like their original coloring.
It's just a temporary fix until you come up with a new version. But the panels blend in with the other COMPx textures much better.
http://i.imgur.com/es89DjX.jpg

Thanks Flynn!
Today I'm workin on floor0_6. On start I have something like this:

Unfortunately, the original texture has a very low contrast, so I had to adjust the contrast in my texture too. So, second version looks worse, but I care about the similarity. For now I have something like this:

Looks great. I personally like the less-contrasted version as it looks worn and withered.

Also I fixed PLANET1 so the left and right monitors at the top display the correct images. (they were swapped)
http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/2448/planet12.png

And I also slapped together an ASHWALL texture since it's just two FLOOR6_2 flats stuck together.
http://i.imgur.com/DI4ukDn.png

I dont know how I missed this thread all this time, but this is the greatest set of textures ive ever seen. I hope it gets completed in full eventually, and I especially hope this work will extend to Doom 2, and Final Doom. And in my deepest dreams: The PSX Doom textures :o (Which are REALLY simplistic. PSX Doom's amazing lighting and atmosphere, with its textures with this much detail? Almost perfection..)