Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

My map-in-progress will include a barrel replacement. What should it be?

Title pretty much says it all. My map is hell themed, so I want to basically create a graphic roughly the size of the standard Doom barrel, that is a demonic take on an explosive object. I like the idea that the demons left these strange artifacts lying around that will explode if shot at. Any ideas?

Lost Soul nest?

Visually, I'm thinking like a ribcage with something glowing inside.

Or you could take one of the Mancs' arm cannons and stand it on its end. Makes sense that they'd blow up.

Or big eggs. Or half-solid bubbles of lava. That would make use of the extra frames.

"Visually, I'm thinking like a ribcage with something glowing inside."

I like that. I think it would be creepy to have this disembodied rib cage with an unidentified explosive inside of it. Seems pretty evil.

"Or big eggs."

I've thought of designing something eggy. I keep seeing this almost Giger-esque egg thing with little pods on it to keep secured to the floor, looking all threatening.

Yeah, the whole egg/pod thing is cool, but what would indicate that there's an explosive inside it? Or something that would explode when something contacted it?

GoatLord said:

Yeah, the whole egg/pod thing is cool, but what would indicate that there's an explosive inside it? Or something that would explode when something contacted it?

The egg pod thing reminds me of the Protozoid Slimers in Duke Nukem. Maybe if you leave the egg things for too long an Imp could emerge?

I'm NOT modifying the barrel's behavior in any way. I'm just trying to come up with a cool replacement graphic.

Huy Pham used red rocks in Deus Vult II I believe.

If you do make something new would you allow me to use it? I will have the same issue when I re-attempt a one-man megewad next year.

I was just thinking of re-colouring the existing barrel a dark red but I like some of the suggestions in this thread too.

Anyone is allowed to use this replacement graphic after it's made. I suppose that means I should make a .wad containing the new barrel after I release my map. Based on suggestions and my own vision of what the demonic version of an explosive device would be, I'm liking the "ribcage with something glowing inside" idea a lot and the egg/pod thing is cool too.

I really like this Giger painting. Minus the chick's head, that design is kind of what I see in my head, although having a creepy face somewhere on it might look cool.

Do the ribcage thing, there's already plenty of games with eggs and the like.

Almost anything mentioned here sounds like things that have been seen before millions of times, such as the pods from Heretic or the barrel equivalents from Diablo 2.

mouldy said:

how about a demonic shrub?

Please, please define a 'demonic shrub.'

Maybe some kind of *dons sunglasses* burning bush?

(I'm not making fun of you; I just found the image humorous.)

Mr. Chris said:

A nasty pulsating cyst maybe?

Yeah this sounds good, then you finally have an explosive suitable for hellish maps.

I'm thinking something along the lines of those floating exploding green pod things in Heretic. Just remap green to red, and there you go.

I have no interest in editing existing material. I'm trying to make something completely from scratch.