Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So after reading that thread about which of us actually finishes megawads, I've decided to start a thread for people who want to simultaneously play through the same megawad and share their experiences.

I would like a list of all the megawads in the archive by release date if possible so we can start from the beginning. Just for fun :)

E: We could do episodes too if there aren't enough.

What does everyone think of this?

I think it'd be better to put what wads to play to a vote rather than starting chronologically. I mean, I wouldn't mind playing an old wad from '94, but I could see it getting extremely stagnant playing through multiple wads from the same era.

I also propose we should plan our first or second megawad to be CC4, since a lot of other people will be playing it at the same time, so it'll be really relevant. Plus I wanna gush over some of the design.

I like this idea! Someone pick a WAD, quick! I also purpose we all play a level (or maybe 2) a day, so that we can all comment on the same levels at about the same time.

Yeah, it'd probably generate and maintain a lot more interest to pick wads more selectively rather than attempting to go through the archives in chronological order.

Given that CC4 is still in beta, it would probably be better to hold off a while on that. Even moreso since a bunch of people have already played it.

Like I said in the other thread, this seems like a cool idea.

I think we should start with something fairly unknown. The fact that not many people would have played it already would give people a good taste of what its like to go through the wads for the first time together.

What about doing Hell in Hell?

Memento Mori (1996)
Memento Mori 2 (1996)
Icarus (1996)
Requiem (1997)
Eternal Doom III (1997)
STRAIN (1997)
Hell Revealed (1997)
Cyberdreams (1998)
Batman Doom (1999)
Demonfear (1999)
Herian 2 (1999)
10 Sectors (2000)
TVR! (2001)
Alien Vendetta (2002)
2002: A Doom Odyssey (2002)
Scythe (2003)
Doom 2: The Rebirth (2003)
Community Chest (2003)
Hell Revealed II (2004)
Community Chest 2 (2004)
Vile Flesh (2004)
Scythe 2 (2005)
Kama Sutra (2005)
Congestion 1024 (2005)
NewDoom Community Map Project (2006)
Community Chest 3 (2007)
NewDoom Community Map Project II (2009)
Whispers of Satan (2009)
Plutonia 2 (2009)
Doom 2 Reloaded (2009)
Claustrophobia 1024 (2009)
Speed of Doom (2010)
Epic 2 (2010)
Claustrophobia 1024 2 (2010)
Plutonia Revisited (2011)
Reverie (2011)
Jenesis (2011)
Khorus's Speedy Shit (2011)
1994 Tune-up Challenge (2011)
Community Chest 4 (2012)

May be missing a few that I forgot.

Many people have done MM or Requiem already, as well as HR/2 and Scythe/2/X.

Anyone up for Speed of Doom or Vile Flesh?

There was A.L.T. that was released earlier this year, BFThud, Helinhel, Destroy Hell, Beyond the Hell, Super Sonic Doom, Longwad I and II and maybe even a few more beyond that.

Let's update that list so we know all the megawads that aren't in the "megawads" folder too. As I said, we could include episodes that have significant length too. Make sure we're including Ultimate/Doom 1 wads too.

I say we start with something from early on though whatever we do.

If it's a vote I'll go along with BF_Thud! as I've heard it mention a bit on these forums and intended to give it a whirl at somepoint.

Also, I think discussion on one map per day is good because it allows people to catch up, even if they are a week behind. Also, it means all the maps all maps get some focus of discussion.

There are still no links for the stuff from early 2012, and wasn't there a megawad that wasn't a complete 32 maps but was like 32 hrs in pain too? The Last Revenger needs a link too. Base Ganymede needs a link.

It looks like we're still forgetting Doom 1/Ultimate doom wads.

But it looks like BFThud will be our first wad play.

Ooooh, count me in guys. I just need to finish off the wad I'm playing (for the record, Realm of Chaos, an old Macintosh Team levelset that I played way back, revisiting because nostalgia) and then I'm game.

Got another idea for this. What if me make this a kind of elite dooming club that encourages the completion of megawads? Kind of like how mountaineers have their clubs for people who have done all the highest peaks, all the 8000 meterers and such. Okay so here's the idea:

The Megawad club will be open for joining for anyone who has completed at least one megawad on the final list, and he/she will be a member.

Then when you've completed 5 megawads, you reach another rank. Get through 15, another rank, 30 another rank, 50 another rank, and all of em', the top rank. Something like that.

Maybe ranks for those people who complete certain types of megawads like a set of honors for those who do all classic style wads, or for those who do all slaughter style wads, and so on.

I'll start a thread in the demos forum for proving completion of megawads.

I disagree. Not the point of the Megawad Club really, is it?

Said point being that some people lack the drive and follow-through to go all 30/32 levels of a Megawad and the social aspect would be a good incentive to do so.

Me? I've finished a few recently (since 'coming back' to Doom) and just wanna talk levels with folk. No interest in 'proving' or demoing at all.

Ultimate Doom megawads from idgames database:

NJ Doom - 1994
Heroes - 1995
Invasion - 1997
Final Fantasy Doom - 2000
Niveles - 2000 or 2003
Nightmares of Loki 1999 - rerelease in 2003
Hell Medley - 2003
RAGE Doom - 2004 (presumably)
Knee Deep in ZDoom - 2007
Wonderful Doom - 2007
Newmaps - A Chex Quest Mod - 2008
The Ultimate NMD - 2009
Doom the Way Id Did - 2011
Base Ganymede: Complete - 2012

So we're starting with BF Thud since we have 4 votes for that? And I think about a map a day is a good idea, since people that miss a day or two won't fall behind badly.

You forgot Vengeance. I think there are a few more from both lists that for some reason aren't in the "megawads" folders too. We'll fill those in as we go though.

Do we want to include episodes, i.e. Death Tormention, for the Doom 1 section since there aren't that many right now?

Look, can I put a vote in for 2002:ADO? I never played all of it back when (did E1, E2 and most of E3 if I recall) and it's on my 'list', so to speak.

Episodes would be good to list too, it's just hard to find a lot of them (or at least the unknown ones).

@ComicMischief I too haven't played 2002ADO, but maybe we'll do BF Thud first while you finish Realm of Chaos?

I think something everyone has to keep in mind is that not everyone is going to get to the wad of their choice, so just try and be patient. We'll get around to a lot of them eventually.

I actually like the idea of just going down the list in chronological order. That way there's less focus on what we're playing next, and more on the actual WADs.

I didn't notice that Realm of Chaos is actually in the list. Heh, should I stop and do it when we get around to it? I mean, chronological order is fine for me.

Also, WHEN ARE WE DOING THIS THING YOU GUYS?

We can do it perfectly for August, since it's conveniently close and all

First day of August works. If we have a lot of votes to go chronologically, we could do that. I just thought it be more convenient to put what wads to play to a vote, but if everyone wants to go down the line we might as well. Although, like I said, I think it'd be cool to play through CC4 together when it gets officially released, especially since we could get a lot of people to join us.

Chronologically, NJ Doom is the first, since all the maps were originally made in '94. Are we starting with that, or BF Thud?

Also, depending on the size of the level, we might be able to play two a day. BF Thud has small/medium levels and rarely goes over 100 enemies, so it'd be ideal for 2 maps a day.

Heh, I like this idea for some reason. Might be neat to keep up with things. ;)