Final version right here!
You've waited a long time. It's finally happening. Thirty two delicious dishes. Twenty four hours. No lightning rounds.
The ingredients for our gourmet event will be unveiled for our Iron Mappers at midnight, Eastern Standard Time. This will be a two part event, with the normal 24 hour mapping period, several "tastings" scheduled in the coming week for map testing, and another 24 mapping session the following week to iron out any bugs and apply the special ingredients to turn our maps into works of true art.
Rules will be posted Midnight, Eastern Standard Time. Be right here.
What is 32in24 for those who have never heard of it?
We make 32 Doom 2 maps in 24 hours. We get together, have a good time, and compile them. Most of the time there are more than 32 maps too. Any mapper can contribute and learn. Don't be shy. These are speed maps, and the process is designed to give you feedback and allow you to grow and progress in your skills.
This is the twelfth numbered iteration in the series, and we've hosted other events as well. Anyone can feel free to join us on IRC at #32in24 in the OFTC.net server, where the mappers chat about their process.
If you are a mapper for this session and are interested in livestreaming your mapping process, some people from other communities have shown interest in seeing what it's like to make a Doom Map! Let us know if you'd like to host a live stream and we'll get the buzz up.
This show's secret ingredient is CAPTURE THE FLAG! Esselfortium has whipped up a special batch of CTF friendly textures for us. Remember, many of these maps may someday see play in the International Doom League, so bring your A-game, but don't be afraid to experiment too.
This marks a YEAR of ODAMEX NITRO who we produced 32in24-11 with last year; we'll be testing the maps again in a session this upcoming Saturday, so even if you're not mapping, come on down!
Rules and tips:
- Mappers will have 24 hours to make a playable version of their map for compilation in the wad. Submit as many maps as you'd like, but they must be in a PLAYABLE STATE for the first run through. You will have a chance to revisit them after play testing in a second 24 hour period in exactly one week!
- The only resources you can use for textures and flats in the game are those present in doom2.wad and 32in24ctf-tex.wad ( http://essel.spork-chan.net/wasd/32in24ctf-tex.zip ) You may feel free to provide your own music for maps in the form of a midi file included in your completed map post.
- All completed maps should be posted in this thread with a URL, the map's name (feel free to be silly) and the music desired linked. Make sure all maps play on MAP01, and link the midi file seperate from the wad, makes the compiler's life easier.
- Maps must work for all mainstream CTF sourceports: Odamex, ZDaemon, and Zana... Zando... Zandronum! If you're having a hard time with this, ask for help in the thread. The maps must all be in BOOM FORMAT.
- This is CTF. Most maps should be symmetric, or flipped so balanced on each side. If you make it a-symmetric, make sure the thing is balanced amazingly.
- Detail is good, but GAMEPLAY IS KING. CTF players want to move smoothly and easily... little bumps all over the floor for the sake of detail will just make it a worse experience. If you're going to use this technique, use height transfers. We also need the maps to run on average computers, so don't go too crazy with linedefs.
- Size; no need to make these maps massive, competitive CTF is played with relatively small teams. But on the other hand too tiny can make turnaround for caps too quick and gameplay frantic. Try sticking to a "medium" sized map. This can also help with performance.
- Map Rotation - We're going to try to showcase the most smoothly playing maps earlier in the wad, as graded by our testers, but also may mix things up by visual style, map size, etc, as well, just in the hopes of making it an interesting playing experience all throughout the rotation. Joke maps will probably be put at or near the end. If we get more than 32 maps and your map is above 32, that doesn't necessarily mean it's bad. Hopefully our testing will ensure that all of the maps play great and you'll make changes in the second session that will bring it on par with the greats.
- Be a good guy and don't revise in the middle of the week if you can help it. Wait for the feedback to come in and the next session to start!
- Have fun!
CTF Standard Thing IDs:
5080: Blue Start
5081: Red Start
5130: Blue Flag
5131: Red Flag
These will work with all engines!
Go forth and map. Completed maps will be chronicled in this post or Essel's if I inexplicably disappear.
Skillsaw - This Aggression Will Not Stand, Man - http://www.mediafire.com/?6071ojs5eqqy08h - Midi: http://www.mediafire.com/?4cmfuee4l68z4t2
The Mionic Donut - Splatterday Night Fever - http://www.speedyshare.com/kH4eD/splatter1.wad
Solarn - Face to Face - http://www2.zshare.ma/2qttzkxeyiz1 - http://www2.zshare.ma/ikor5a4bfkff
Jimmy91 - Sauce Port - http://speedy.sh/PgArn/sauceport2.wad
nub_hat - Water Purification Facility - http://www.mediafire.com/?dzorkd23j8xcud0
The Green Herring - The Battle of Snake Canyon - https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6650582/32...n24-12_TGH1.zip - https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6650582/32...masher_E1M2.mid
XutaWoo - Just Out of Reach -http://dl.dropbox.com/u/67863651/xutas32in24-12.wad - http://jimmy.the-powerhouse.net/MID...the%20Blood.mid
Mechadon (with shai items) - A Roboticized Lizard Comprised Entirely of Wooden Moving Parts, Neurokinetic Circuitry, and the Heart of a Moldy Bald Eagle - http://cb-sc.com/doomstuff/32in24/lookwoodtextures.wad
Rottking - Lost Facility #28 - http://rottking.unidoom.org/32in24-12rott1m.zip - http://rottking.unidoom.org/fury3_24-d_remix.mid
Luca95 - Gray Mainstream Map - http://www.mediafire.com/?2d5bjjjz03jgpki
AlexMax - Scary Flaggers and Nice Caps - https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1446507/wads/alex12-1_2.wad - https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1446507/wa...Sprites_1.1.mid
TheMionicDonut - Hamburglar Hill - http://www.speedyshare.com/vd9tB/HHill.wad
Llewellyn - Bridge to Nowhere - https://dl.dropbox.com/u/26269208/mapin2.wad - https://dl.dropbox.com/u/26269208/Reactor.mid
zap610 - Danny Tamberelli's Manboobs - http://www.speedyshare.com/evy5T/32in24-12-610.wad
skillsaw - Mark it Zero - http://www.mediafire.com/?xso90k55zv6f5cm - http://www.mediafire.com/?oo1vb33uhwhq1ue
Young Cyberdemon / Devon - Late in Britland - http://www.2shared.com/file/MhY-s-o...24mapdevon.html - http://www.2shared.com/audio/_viF1d38/D_Suspense.html (ogg music? We aren't going to use non-midi.)
Pavera - Close Friends! - http://www.mediafire.com/?5n0byya1ogt1r1a
Clonedpickle - Tong Dat Catte - https://dl.dropbox.com/u/84200934/32in2412cp.wad - https://dl.dropbox.com/u/84200934/D_MDRSH.mid
BloodyAcid - Some Tourist Attraction - http://www.mediafire.com/?tmxntm1deok81hw - http://www.vgmusic.com/music/consol..._-_Hellfire.mid
IvanDobrovski - Eye of the Tiger - https://dl.dropbox.com/s/b083rgqxki...ivan01.zip?dl=1
Wartorn - Meatwad Goes to the Superbowl - http://shanghai.the-powerhouse.net/...12_Wartorn1.zip
ArmouredBlood/Tango - Water Defecation Facility - http://www.mediafire.com/?hwdd0bi83e465re - http://midi.thehylia.com/midifiles/...-s-stage-2-.mid
40oz - I've got two words for you and they're not happy birthday - http://jbserver.com/forums/attachme...n24ctf-40oz.zip
Whoo - Generica - http://www.speedyshare.com/3KW8Q/D-RUNNIN.mid
Watermelon - Cereal Crates - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/87656485/MAP03.wad
Processingcontrol - Right Angle of Destiny - http://www.mediafire.com/?7nihdux0c9ibczm
The Green Herring - Go to Hell, Do Not Collect $200 https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6650582/32...n24-12_TGH2.zip
ClonedPickle - A Complete Disregard of All That You Love - https://dl.dropbox.com/u/84200934/32in2412cpbad.wad - https://dl.dropbox.com/u/84200934/D_WHERE.mid
Esselfortium - Seclatus - http://essel.spork-chan.net/wasd/essel-12-2.wad
Time of Death - The Tooters - http://timeofdeath.wrvids.com/doom/thetooters.zip
Xaser - Kingdom of Naughty Aeronautics - http://ionline.vectec.net/doom/xa-32in24-12.zip
Xaser - WTF CTF - http://ionline.vectec.net/doom/xa-32in24-12_2.zip
Stewboy/Tango - Thanks Zero. I'm Okay - http://www.mediafire.com/?hhy50nsy3e2mbib - http://midi.thehylia.com/midifiles/...on-stage-4-.mid
Dusk - Green Vaults - https://dl.dropbox.com/u/66055976/32in24-dusk1.wad.zip - https://dl.dropbox.com/u/66055976/d_vaults.mid
Dusk - Flag Island - https://dl.dropbox.com/u/66055976/32in24-dusk2.wad.zip - https://dl.dropbox.com/u/66055976/d_flagis.mid
Kassman - Mudman Wonderland - http://www.speedyshare.com/H82HV/32in24-12kass.wad - http://www.jmjwebdesigns.com/Client...l_BobLasnek.mid
TheMionicDonut - Obvious Filler Map - http://www.speedyshare.com/ayxXR/Filler.wad - http://midi.thehylia.com/midifiles/...off-da-wall.mid
Last edited by Shaikoten on Aug 30 2012 at 19:49