Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shaikoten

32in24-12 - It is here. Ready your buns... for burgers.

The Green Herring said:Make sure you download this and not the other one posted earlier. If your WAD is dated at 11:21 PM, you have the right one.

For future reference, it's just not wise to have different versions of the same WAD floating around with the same name. It only ends up causing headaches on multiplayer ports. Usual practice is to drop a hyphen or underscore on the end of the filename, in the case of any "post-final version" modification ;>

Cybershark said:

For future reference, it's just not wise to have different versions of the same WAD floating around with the same name. It only ends up causing headaches on multiplayer ports. Usual practice is to drop a hyphen or underscore on the end of the filename, in the case of any "post-final version" modification ;>

Sadly we had this issue for 7 as well. Hopefully the older one hasn't proliferated enough for this to be a huge issue, we'll see though I guess.

Think I noticed some bugs:

It appears that AlexMax's map (the Skrillex one) has an inconsistent name between the transition screen and the automap. Also, I can't load up map 24 at all in Zandronum. I get an error that says 0xBEEFCAFE or something lol. This was in single player if that makes any difference.

Huh -- that's worth reporting as a Zandronum bug. The trouble is that MAP24 is missing a Player 1 start, but that's supposed to result in a console error message, not a beefcafe crash. Something is hella borked. :P

Hey, 32in24 yeomen: I was looking through old 32in24 threads to add more links of dubious usefulness to the wiki, and found this. Did it survive in some way? MionicDonut made a map and apparently that's all that happened.

Gez said:

Hey, 32in24 yeomen: I was looking through old 32in24 threads to add more links of dubious usefulness to the wiki, and found this. Did it survive in some way? MionicDonut made a map and apparently that's all that happened.

i made one too but nothing ever happened with it

Oh yea I remember that. The 32in24 that never was? I guess I was too lame to make anything for it. Though I do remember Brink's shot being super amazing. Everything he makes is super amazing.

TheMionicDonut said:

This Monday:
32in24 goes for the Mordeth!

This guy is leading the Mordeth race, I think.

Also, please for the love of panties could the next 32in24 be single player.

A Halloween Special for Volume 13 would prove amusing

HumanBones said:

Christmas theme!

Coming this Halloween*:
32in24-13: YEDS Saves Christmas.

*Not actually coming this Halloween

TimeOfDeath said:

Also, please for the love of panties could the next 32in24 be single player.

I think SP maps are too involved to be done in a 24 hour window, unless there were some limitation like 1024. (And yes, I know the 24-hour deadline has been ignored since 32in24-5.)

Bucket said:

I think SP maps are too involved to be done in a 24 hour window, unless there were some limitation like 1024. (And yes, I know the 24-hour deadline has been ignored since 32in24-5.)

Disagree, SP map in 24 hours is not that hard at all.

Bucket said:

I think SP maps are too involved to be done in a 24 hour window, unless there were some limitation like 1024.

well, maybe people could team up and make half a map each, then stitch the most fitting pieces together. and mek would make the other 16 maps.

I think the dm/ctf layouts people normally make for these 32in24's would also be cool with monsters tossed in.

I like your idea dew. But maybe one person only focuses on building layout/architecture and the other person only focuses on thing placement?

I suppose this is as good a time as any to ask: I need to talk to Texture artists for use in upcoming 32in24s. If you have any recommendations, send them my way. Always on IRC in #32in24 on OFTC, #unidoom on Quakenet, and #jetsons on Dalnet.

Shaikoten said:

Sadly we had this issue for 7 as well. Hopefully the older one hasn't proliferated enough for this to be a huge issue, we'll see though I guess.

Did it happen with -7? I just remember it being a real problem with -4.

Anyways, I just think the regular multiplayer modes have been done to death.
New (2way) CTF is still marginally exciting to receive but, after ~20yrs of Doom, I don't think anybody gets overjazzed about seeing another random 40 DM maps released.

Personally I'd like to see some Domination maps made next time, but I realise that's not gonna fly on Oda for some time. So what about 3wayCTF, or 1flag? Can Oda cope with those yet? Or is it likely to, anytime soon? And, lol - as 32in24 is prettymuch at the mercy of them - then if not, why not?!

Also, slopes. All major multiplayer ports can now handle them, so why are 32in24ers still being forced to screw around with fake ones? :/

The problem with those gamemodes (and some of them are pretty great) is that they aren't played on a regular basis. They aren't played really at all. I suppose some of them suffer from lack of maps, but to me it seems like the community is mostly disinterested in new gamemodes. Creating a Domination 32in24 could either be really ambitious or a total failure. At least with DM/CTF you know people will be playing those quite a bit.

Heh, reminds me of IGPack. That was an amazing collection of awesome maps for a great gamemode that never got played. :(

HumanBones said:

The problem with those gamemodes (and some of them are pretty great) is that they aren't played on a regular basis...
..At least with DM/CTF you know people will be playing those quite a bit.

Hardly. They'll get exactly the same treatment - the occasional airing on community event nights, but otherwise forgotten, save for one or two of the CTF maps which may eventually resurface in the IDL pack.

People just have little interest in much that's new, so it doesn't matter what gamemode it's for. Besides, I suspect that a large percentage of the mappers that contribute don't even care so much whether what they made gets played - it's just done for the personal satisfaction of completing a speedmap.

I do it to spite Zambonium players with complex maps to hurt their brains.

Also, slopes arent available in the ZDoom format, at least on DB2. Boom is pretty much the most advanced type without going into features which will wonk out on odamex.

If there was a 1024 32in24 I would definitely contribute a few maps.
Although since they can be relatively quick to make maybe it would end up as 2 wads, like claustrophobia did?

Cybershark said:

Hardly. They'll get exactly the same treatment - the occasional airing on community event nights, but otherwise forgotten, save for one or two of the CTF maps which may eventually resurface in the IDL pack.

Part of that problem is that I only see one 32in24 hosted on ZDaemon at this time. None on Zandronum, and five on Odamex. I do know they played frequently on the latter, so perhaps server hosts need to be more "forceful" when it comes to new things.