Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ella guro

Doom 2 in name only (tentative title)

Eris Falling said:

No

I'm temporarily stumped. Shoot me a copy via PM if you'd like another pair of eyes to do some debugging.

GreyGhost said:

I'm temporarily stumped. Shoot me a copy via PM if you'd like another pair of eyes to do some debugging.

Thanks a lot :) PM Sent

Sorry that it took longer than I initially promised. This is actually only part 1. I'll send part 2 along in under an hour (f'realz this time).

Haven't watched it to the end, but noticed a critical error - it is possible to fall of a ledge behind a crate in the green base and get stuck forever. Fixed :D. Sorry for all the miniscule updates. :)
Also there's totally a secret that takes you on a ledge in the outdoors area.

edit: oh snap, you totally found that yourself a bit later. Oops.

Hellbent said:

Sorry that it took longer than I initially promised. This is actually only part 1. I'll send part 2 along in under an hour (f'realz this time).

-videos-

Nice, very good desing. Now wondering how "the focus" inspired this map. =P (It doesn't matter actually, just curiosity).

LkMax said:

Nice, very good desing. Now wondering how "the focus" inspired this map. =P

Thanks. I looked up the word for alternative meanings and found one that means an underground area where an earthquake originates. Basically, an epicenter, but below ground. An exploded reactor and all the cracks were only natural to do :) The outside area i just thought would fit the music, and then both the green base and the dark basement were loosely based on the original's texture themes.

Edit: watched Hellbent's videos. You sure liked the dark basement area :) that part's going straight into my "favourites" on YT. Watching it was very fun and i may return to the end of part 1 whenever i start feeling like crap about my doom mapping. :D (although now i do feel that that whole place was more original and nice-looking than any of the maps in my personal project). Too bad you didn't find the other two secrets. One was outside and one in the green base (and yes it is kinda indicated).

P.s. also, would you balieve it didn't click for me until just now that you can just drop into the lava in the room with the backpack and arrive to the exit completely skipping the whole lava maze? That should stay in of course, maybe as a speedrun trick or something, but that wasn't really intended, a brain-fart on my part :D

Dang, i wanna watch it but then again i kinda want to LP this whole wad when it's done. I won't be able to test the incoming standalone maps, but this is a type of project that i'd want to experience properly (minus my own map(s) of course). So sorry peeps, i probably won't have any useful or encouraging feedback for your maps before it's all finished.

Also it's damn cool to have your first actually released doom map be complimented and LP'd, AND also having it be a contribution to a cool project. :D

Glad you enjoyed the LP Antroid :)

Here is my FDA of Eris Falling's Map07:

Not much commentary on this one I'm afraid.

Hellbent said:

Glad you enjoyed the LP Antroid :)

Here is my FDA of Eris Falling's Map07:
*Hellbents search for health*

Not much commentary on this one I'm afraid.

On YT you described it as an orthogonal nightmare.
Good nightmare or bad? :P

EDIT: Something that has occured to me is that there are no candelabras at the top of the initial staircase, thus resulting in random lighting. Will look into that.

SECOND EDIT: MAP07 with candelabras (they weren't present on UV]

It just occured to me that i may have subconsciously ripped off map01 of Deus Vult. I think it had similiar lava cracks near the end (not bothering to check though...). That's why that idea came to me so quickly and clearly, probably :D

I'd like to claim MAP10: Refueling Base. Probably it will take a long time to do because I'll be busy after September, but I think I don't have to hurry. =)

So that means that the only map left unclaimed (besides 29) is The Inmost Dens. How come...

If I wasn't a mapping newb (seriously newb, MAP07 was my first ever) I would've taken it myself truthfully, one of my favourite maps in the IWADs.

Eris Falling said:

On YT you described it as an orthogonal nightmare.
Good nightmare or bad? :P

[...]

In a good way. ;)

Hellbent said:

In a good way. ;)

Lol thanks :P I originally wanted to get Arachnotrons teleporting onto those islands with the Knights/Barons after picking up the red key. Unfortunately, I couldn't alert them to cross the line. Oh well, it's hard enough already I suppose.

Eris Falling said:

So that means that the only map left unclaimed (besides 29) is The Inmost Dens. How come...

Pencil me in for that one, then. If this project has no deadline, I can finish MAP30 for this one, MAP05 for my own, then get on Inmost Dens after that. It's a good balance, I think. :)

Very very early shot about MAP10. It will based on a central outside area with ships and giant barrels.

Katamori said:

Very very early shot about MAP10. It will based on a central outside area with ships and giant barrels.

That's looking good so far, but I think I see some misalignment on the STONE texture, left side of image.
Also on the STONE closest to the 'camera'. It might just be my eyes but it looks shifted up by 2 or 3 pixels.

Aren't those fences gonna sink into the ground in vanilla? (I mean the rest of the texture is gonna be visible through the floor).
In case you're interested, a trick to fix it would be making an added sector vaguely like this, only have the corner of it be like one unit far from the fence instead of far like in the screenshot. It is fairly unnoticeable like this. In your case, i guess, you might have to make that sector diamond-shaped (and 2 units thin) and have the fence just kinda hovering there.

Edit: also, not to nitpick or sound like an asshole, but i always slightly hated when people use that pipes texture like that, just cutting it with no border. Same when people do this with the tekwalls, actually...

Map 26 is coming along! Heres a doombuilder shot:

I made much of the north-eastern section of the map today, and it is relatively incomplete. Hopefully I can finish it up within the next week or so.

I have to say though, this is probably the most fun I've ever had making a map, so I'm real happy to take part in this project!

EDIT: Also, Antroid, the fence won't cut into the ground if one of the sectors is a different brightness than the other (hopefully that makes sense)

Don't worry, Antroid, I made the fence well =)

About the pipes: I feel that this texture is great to simulate giant barrels or things like that. Probably, it's a bad habid I got from simple design maps.

Katamori said:

Don't worry, Antroid, I made the fence well =)

About the pipes: I feel that this texture is great to simulate giant barrels or things like that. Probably, it's a bad habid I got from simple design maps.

May be. I guess it would be possible to twist one's perception of the texture enough to make it resemble a complicated-looking surface rather than an array of pipes, but i think the latter's what it's supposed to be originally so it irks me a bit. But well, there seem to be very few people as bothered by it as me, so don't feel any pressure about it :)

(actually what i'd totally do is add a middle texture to the barrel's outward linedefs as a border, like that one beige step texture, make them "lower unpegged" so it falls on the floor, and then either keep the player from looking at it from above or have some freaky extra-sector-with-untextured-sidedefs shenanigans to give an illusion of a floor at the appropriate height. Still can't have the player walk on that, tho.)

Also i'm sincerely wondering how the heck else did you make the fences not glitch out, gonna have to wait and see i guess :)

Also#2: btw yay, got some cool ideas about map29 that i'm happy with, gonna try and make a solid chunk of it tomorrow.

@ella guro: so in my Map 13, I don't have to worry about monster or weapon restrictions? I'd assume everything would have made its debut in the levels preceding by then... also, I've shot you a PM, if you could respond to that it would be great!

Antroid said:

Aren't those fences gonna sink into the ground in vanilla? (I mean the rest of the texture is gonna be visible through the floor).
In case you're interested, a trick to fix it would be making an added sector vaguely like this, only have the corner of it be like one unit far from the fence instead of far like in the screenshot. It is fairly unnoticeable like this.

Another trick to hide sunken fences is having imperceptibly different light levels on each side (say 192 on one side an 191 on the other).

Olympus said a few posts earlier:

EDIT: Also, Antroid, the fence won't cut into the ground if one of the sectors is a different brightness than the other (hopefully that makes sense)

Beat you to it! ;)

Katamori: i marked you down. also you don't really need to show shots of something you're working on when it's this early on. i could barely tell anything from the shot!

glenzinho: yeah, by map 13 there will be no real restrictions

i'm sorry to say that i spent way too long today trying to figure out how to make a 3d bridge in doombuilder, but at least it (sort of) works now!

GreyGhost said:

Another trick to hide sunken fences is having imperceptibly different light levels on each side (say 192 on one side an 191 on the other).

192 and 191 actually would be a perceptible difference in vanilla and many other ports, because anything from 176 through 191 is drawn as 176.

Likewise, anything from 192 to 207 is drawn as 192, so for your example, using 192 and 193 instead would have the intended effect :)