Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

Dungeons and the like

I am looking for old-skool style-Dungeon style wads or Indiana Jones style wads. I just found a pretty neat not-quite-dungeon wad but one with some nice classic doom style design and action.

If you know of any quality 90s style wads particularly with a dungeon theme or Indiana Jones influence, please post in this thread!

http://www.doomarchive.com/download.asp?FileId=2708

General Rainbow Bacon said:

Well, I was working on one. I guess I could resurrect it and release a few maps.

yaaaay!

It might be just me, but I cant really say I`m getting dungeon and Indiana Jones feelings from those screens. Just...what?

darkreaver said:

It might be just me, but I cant really say I`m getting dungeon and Indiana Jones feelings from those screens. Just...what?

Right, that's why you need to help me out!

Well, I was working on one. I guess I could resurrect it and release a few maps.

Finish Alpha Paradox!

darkreaver said:

Right, that's why you need to help me out!

EDIT: @GRB: I love it!

@ kmxexii :

It's actually done, I'm just waiting for Kyka to look at it some more. If someone else wants to playtest, add details, let me know though.

But....it's not a dungeon.

Don't mind me; I'm just a friendly reminder.

Howzabout Epic by Eternal? It isn't a dungeon, but there's a nice Egyptian feel that might be similar to the Indiana Jones vibe you're looking for.

Here is the vibe I am going for.

That and GSTONE all day long.

Obsidian said:

Howzabout Epic by Eternal? It isn't a dungeon, but there's a nice Egyptian feel that might be similar to the Indiana Jones vibe you're looking for.

The first level was very well designed. But the MI music and the goofified former humans and the imps that look like they were fashioned from the accumulation of unchanged diaper contents sort of turns me off. I'm going for real simple 90s style dungeon wads. Nothing overly fancy. Simpler is better.

Been playing a lot of '94 Doom wads lately, some are quite good. Just played a pretty fun, simple one with some nice gameplay balance. A bit of a tactical wad, especially while you're trying to get your footing in the beginning. Have funs!

Click on the image to download.

Note: this wad is nothing special to look at and the author didn't seem to know about lower unpegged and could have improved lighting in places, nonetheless, it's a well designed.

You should type idmus24 after the wad loads for fitting music.

Thanks for the wads Hex and DK. Honestly, I liked the second map in the one you linked Hex, the most. It had interesting architecture and layout.

The Dungeon map you linked DK was a bit orthogonal, but otherwise a decent map. I played on skill 2 as I like the more stealth/exploratory type dungeon maps. Arcadia remake from Bioshock is a good example.

traversd said:

Heretic Hellbent?

It'd be fun to play through heretic again with doom weapons. I played it when it came out and liked it, but for some reason never been back. I revisited it once, but only got to about level 3 of the first episode. I never bought the full game and never played the other episodes. :-/ I like Prince of Persia type dungeon as in the images (and the map GRB posted).

Thanks! I'll check these out soon.

BTW, E2M5 of Kansame's.wad is also a pretty neat map. How come you didn't recommend it? It's pretty annoying from a pistol start, but I like the design and layout. It's pretty neat. But what I wouldn't do for a klondike bar.. I mean, green armor.

It's more of a castle-themed map than dungeon, which for me implies an underground complex of tunnels, caverns, etc. (basically what you explore in most roguelike games).

But if you like that, there's at least one castle map in NJDOOM2, and similar themes (MAP16 is a ruined city). The hell episode also has a lot of interesting stuff. Actually I recommend playing the entire megawad, because even the early maps have a lot of merit. If you want a more classic, Doom 1 feel, the original release was actually various maps, then 2 episodes (later merged into a Doom 1 megawad), but the Doom II version has a couple extra maps. It's all on /idgames, and this /newstuff chronicles explains better, in case this sounds confusing.