Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

Jenesis Parts 1 and 2 removed from /idgames?!

While making some long-overdue updates to my website, I looked through /idgames for all three versions of Jenesis so I could link to each one. When jenesis1.wad and jenesis2.wad wouldn't show up in any searches, I use some direct links to their locations on the database, and I got an "id not valid" error when looking at where they ought to be located. It looks like they've been taken off the /idgames database.

This rather irks me. I didn't receive any notification that this would be done, and no one asked me if I'd be okay with it. Did the fact that they were more or less the same maps (old versions, of course) outweigh their archival value? Really? :/

Possibly this (from the archive's rules):

3.  If this is a compilation of other things that are on the site 
    already, the individual files cannot also remain in the archive.
    Tell me what files to delete.

If I get something that looks like a compilation, and you don't
    give me an email or .msg file explaining what to do, the compilation
    will be REJECTed.
Anyway, Ty is the guy to contact if you think this should be handled differently. There's nothing the Doomworld staff can do to change this.

Stuff disappears from the archive all the time.

It's a bit annoying to have to verify old idgames link to make sure they still work.

When a file gets deleted from the archives, an orphan database entry is left behind. Recently I went through and got rid of all of the orphaned entries.

Jimmy91 said:
Did the fact that they were more or less the same maps (old versions, of course) outweigh their archival value? Really? :/

It's a good policy. You're looking at it in an individual way related to your WAD, but imagine wanting to play new wads, grabbing one randomly and then finding out you played an older buggier version instead of the newer fixed one. Browsing would be more annoying in general because you'd have to wade through different versions of the same things.

One solution is to propose an "archived" section of the archive where people may upload older versions. Anyone going in there, probably for historical purposes or maybe to watch a demo recorded with an old version, will be more or less aware that they're looking at potentially buggy stuff that's already in the main sections of the archive.

I remember trying to look at from the two WADs from the Doom Wiki page but they gave me the "id not valid" error. I always thought the archives would keep the WADs forever but it's scary to know that they can get deleted from the archives thanks to Gez's info.

Gez said:

Stuff disappears from the archive all the time.

I have about 1.8GB of that stuff on my hard drive. My Web host doesn't approve of file archives so I'll be experimenting with self-hosting once this neighborhood's wired with optical fibre.

Jimmy91 said:

While making some long-overdue updates to my website, I looked through /idgames for all three versions of Jenesis so I could link to each one. When jenesis1.wad and jenesis2.wad wouldn't show up in any searches, I use some direct links to their locations on the database, and I got an "id not valid" error when looking at where they ought to be located. It looks like they've been taken off the /idgames database.

This rather irks me. I didn't receive any notification that this would be done, and no one asked me if I'd be okay with it. Did the fact that they were more or less the same maps (old versions, of course) outweigh their archival value? Really? :/

there were some unique maps as well. i found the final Jenesis1 to be the hardest of the three final maps; much harder than the final Jenesis3 Map.