Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Obsidian

Compound 32 - My new map!

http://www.mediafire.com/?anjj217umerqsi9

I've been doing my best to boost my map production lately, basically meaning that I've got tons of dumped maps on my computer - I feel like I've got ADD sometimes. Anyway, I started making a new map, and I had the grid on 32. All of a sudden, I had a rush of inspiration: I decided to make a 32 grid map, just like in 32 Inch Nails! As well as this being my first 32 grid map, this is my first map in Boom and my first use of the 666/667 tags. Enjoy!

Map Name: Compound 32
Map Slot: MAP07
Format: Boom
Number of Monsters: 32 (intentional X-D)
Difficulty Settings: Not implemented
Single Player: Yes
Multiplayer: No
Deathmatch: No

And now some pics:

Starting area.

Ye Olde Conveyore Belte.

Nukage treatment.

Opinions?

Nice map, especially the assembly line part. And mancubus teleport part, fantastic. Only bad thing was that this map is very hard, I had to skip the last revenants and archviles to win the game.

EDIT: a quick question. Sometimes I can play maps with zdoom, but usually I have to play trough doom builder 2. I've tried with skulltag too but it just goes to the doom 2 menu and when I start a new game it goes to doom 2 level 1. What should I do?

Simp0 said:

EDIT: a quick question. Sometimes I can play maps with zdoom, but usually I have to play trough doom builder 2. I've tried with skulltag too but it just goes to the doom 2 menu and when I start a new game it goes to doom 2 level 1. What should I do?

Use ZDL as a launcher, it can start on whatever map you put in. Either that or just put in "MAP MAPXX" in the console. (XX being the map number)

Simp0 said:

Only bad thing was that this map is very hard, I had to skip the last revenants and archviles to win the game.

Hehe, I can never resist throwing in an Archie or two. They're the ultimate sadistic cherry on top. X-D

You have to give some people a bit more time, as most won't jump to immediately play a map.

But I played it; here's some feedback.

Ammo and health are are pretty rare. Like Simp, I ran past the revs and didn't even trigger the AV, just hitting the switch and getting out of there. Also, the supercharge was nice, but I would've savescummed the whole level if I never found that. Would be nice to have just a touch more health and ammo so you're not punishing players for relatively small mistakes.

The manc hunt is pretty neat, something I don't think I've seen done before. Some of the rooms were too small to fight them in though, like the yellow key and main room, forcing the player to resort to corner/door abuse. The best fight though was the arach and 2 pinkies in the dank basement area... that was really tense and fun to do with just the SG. Conveyer belt was neat, but didn't add much to any fight.

Other than that, there were just a few odd things, like how far back the blue key switch was (and why even include one next to a door?) and when you have the red key pedestal instantly raise. I don't like the instantly raising stuff because it's more of a direct trap, one the player doesn't even see coming, similar to monsters popping out of the floor. Instead pull the trigger back a little, and let it raise up normally, just extending out of the players reach. Oh, and there's a ceiling design in the starting area that you use with a different texture, but it's too hard to notice/doesn't stand out, so it would be neat to indent it upwards into the ceiling. And finally, in the conveyer belt room, the manc door and the entrance both have similar archways/door textures, and I often confused where I entered from. Some slight differentiation, like a light nearby or different architecture would've helped.

This is more frustrating than fun, so I gave up. FDA:

http://dkk.slickproductions.org/files/doom/denis/compound32_db_fda.zip

Needs more health. Needs more ammo. You can't see out some of the windows (particularly the one near the stair builder, where seeing the stairs build would be nice, even if they're completely obvious when you leave the room). That grating floor is ugly and I'd rather see a normal flat being used instead of it.

Yikes, looks like I need to work on difficulty. X-( Thanks for the feedback though, I'll do my best to apply it.