my wad : doom 0 (alpha) (im also new to the forum)

http://www.mediafire.com/?6sp11h7i4v6spnq

(music and gfx belongs to their own makers)

made with doom builder 2 and slade
to play this wad you'll need skulltag and opengl
maps map01-map16
map16 doesnt countain any monsters because its unfinished

(still in progress)

history:the uac made a new training virtual game to let you know the weapons (including the skulltag weapons)and ssg
while your doing the progress of the game zombies infected the lab and you escape from the whole town

problems: i cant path the gfx sprites (stickman hands with doom weapons
without hands made by : Kilkakon

please rate and report bugs

pictures: http://www.up2me.co.il/images/47928090.png
http://www.up2me.co.il/images/48613026.png
http://www.up2me.co.il/images/13367812.png

Share this post


Link to post

I would upload this to a site that doesn't require the user to have an account to download it.

Share this post


Link to post

For some reason the Mediafire link doesn't work, so I'll give feedback on the pictures.

*Using the Wolfenstein SS monsters is probably a bad idea. Most mappers dislike using them due to their presence cheapening the overall experience of the map.

*The texturing looks kind of basic. I also noticed that you used a floor texture on the walls, which usually isn't the best of ideas.

*The lighting looks relatively uniform. Use real life as an example to learn from: eg inside would be slightly darker than outside, light sources would have a small area of brightness around them, etc.

Then again, it's possible that the gameplay could blow all these things out of the water. :) Let me know when the link is fixed.

Share this post


Link to post
Obsidian said:

For some reason the Mediafire link doesn't work, so I'll give feedback on the pictures.

*Using the Wolfenstein SS monsters is probably a bad idea. Most mappers dislike using them due to their presence cheapening the overall experience of the map.


i just like them cause they fire fast and dont drop any weapons


and i fixed the download

Share this post


Link to post
joe-ilya said:

i just like them cause they fire fast and dont drop any weapons


I can understand that. Tell you what, look on the Idgames Archive for the Possesed Marine resprite. It makes the Wolfenstein SS look like an enemy Marine.

Share this post


Link to post
Obsidian said:

I can understand that. Tell you what, look on the Idgames Archive for the Possesed Marine resprite. It makes the Wolfenstein SS look like an enemy Marine.


can you make me a sprite of zombieman that holds pistol to replace
zombieman?

ill replace the ss nazi to the original zombie man with the weapon "default"

i call it cause that's how marine looks in the whole game

Share this post


Link to post
joe-ilya said:

can you make me a sprite of zombieman that holds pistol to replace
zombieman?

ill replace the ss nazi to the original zombie man with the weapon "default"

i call it cause that's how marine looks in the whole game


Afraid not. :/ I'll give your map a playthrough though.

Share this post


Link to post

Hmmm....you definitley need a bit of practice. Here's some advice: if you're a good Doom player you can usually make good Doom maps. Try play some of the more popular wads like Scythe and Whispers of Satan. Examine the gameplay and decoration and learn some of the tricks of the trade.

Share this post


Link to post
Obsidian said:

Hmmm....you definitley need a bit of practice. Here's some advice: if you're a good Doom player you can usually make good Doom maps. Try play some of the more popular wads like Scythe and Whispers of Satan. Examine the gameplay and decoration and learn some of the tricks of the trade.


thanks for the tip but i played those

Share this post


Link to post
joe-ilya said:

thanks for the tip but i played those


Have you? That's good news. :-) Try opening them up in your mapmaking program and examining them: what gives them their sense of atmosphere? What makes them memorable? That sort of thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Obsidian said:

Hmmm....you definitley need a bit of practice. Here's some advice: if you're a good Doom player you can usually make good Doom maps. Try play some of the more popular wads like Scythe and Whispers of Satan. Examine the gameplay and decoration and learn some of the tricks of the trade.


I second this. I'll try to be sympathetic because I'm sure we ALL remember how crappy our first few wads were (not that this wad is crappy). Actually, I'm pretty sure there was a "Worst Wad of the Year" award given out one year that was for everyone's first map ever made.

Anyways, I'm going off topic. Definitely open up some wads that you enjoy playing into the builder and examine the different linedef actions and overall design of the map. Get a feel for what would be the most enjoyable for you as the player. If something seems to be too difficult for most to progress or just seems to drag on, do NOT keep it that way. Make changes that make the wad seem more fun to play.

Another important aspect of a good map is the placement of enemies and weaponry. Don't start the first map having the player fighting more difficult monsters with nothing more than a pistol and a shotgun. Make your "Thing" placements gradually upgrade as the map progresses.

Lastly, always listen to criticism. Hopefully, no one on the forum will attack you for anything that they think you did wrong. Rather, we're here to help you maximize your map's potential enjoyment factor.

If you ever need some pointers, PM me. I've learned 95% of what there is to know about mapping, so I should be able to give you some help if you need it.

Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now