Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Keeper of Jericho

Five Rooms of Doom: (32/32) - now on idgames

I'm uploading my map right now. Like I said, its a bit hard, but I could finish it on normal difficulty. Couldn't finish it on Ultra violence, so I'd like to know if some people here can finish it on UV who don't play as sucky as me. :)

Download here: http://www.speedyshare.com/BR4Tz/five.wad

Also, I noticed that when I tried to play the WAD by simply opening the WAD file, it couldn't find the textures for some reason. Only when I played it with Doom Builder did it work fine. I'm sure I'm just fucking something up on my end here, but I thought I'd mention it either way.

Agentbromsnor said:

I'm uploading my map right now. Like I said, its a bit hard, but I could finish it on normal difficulty. Couldn't finish it on Ultra violence, so I'd like to know if some people here can finish it on UV who don't play as sucky as me. :)

Download here: http://www.speedyshare.com/BR4Tz/five.wad

Also, I noticed that when I tried to play the WAD by simply opening the WAD file, it couldn't find the textures for some reason. Only when I played it with Doom Builder did it work fine. I'm sure I'm just fucking something up on my end here, but I thought I'd mention it either way.

It couldn't find the textures because the wad file inludes only your map, you didn't use slade to put the textures in your map's wad.
When you open your map with doom builder your map's resources are doom2.wad and probably the texture pack's wad, thats why you can see the textures when you open the map via doom builder.
P.S: you used a wrong action on the red key's door, I could open it before getting the red key.

I played both "Vile's Lair" and "The Overkill", and I must say it's another two fine maps added to the project! Here's my two cents on them:

"Vile's Lair" has some great visuals, and is a good old slaughter map. It kind of resembles Plutonia's map 11 "Hunted", due to the massive amount of arch-viles, but there's a good amount of ammo to kill all hordes. The outside area kind of reminded me of the classic "Tower of Babel" from the original Doom, especially with the two Cyberdemons. I am a bit puzzled by the fact that most action takes place inside, while the wide open outdoors host only two cyberdemons and lost souls. And unless I played the map the wrong way, the final wave of Arch-Viles on the walls outside can be ignored completely. Still, it's a fine map with great visuals. We'll have to think of a suitable music track, though. With some polish during beta-testing, I'm sure it'll be a great addition to the project.

"The Overkill" was really enjoyable, too. Interesting mix of rock, tech and hell, and I liked the music. The one point of critique I could give is that on UV, it's really tough, especially when you have to take on three barons and an arch-vile with just a shotgun. There's also not enough ammo to kill all monsters on UV, because the arch-viles resurrect monsters faster than you can kill them with only a shotgun. Still, with some polish on the gameplay, this'll is a great map.

I also decided to place Dragonsbrethren unnamed tech base in map slot 8, because for some reason I felt it fits there. If you want me to move it to another slot, just give a holler, Dragonsbrethren! Let me know if you find a name for your map, too.

So, that's seven completed maps. That makes 7/32. We've passed the 25%!

Map 20 is nameless again, I wasn't pleased from the final product once I finished it so I'm starting to build it from scratch once again.

i made some little changes an some bugfix to my map, but before i re-release it i need to know... boom support mapinfo lump? do you know who made the "Rivals" midi? katamori hit the spot with it, e1m5 "suspense" does not fit in the atmosfere of the map, even if i like it.

edit: played both vile's lair and the overkill.

the overkill: there is a visual glitch on the room you start in, and also an imp is stuck in a pinky so they are both unable to move, regarding the viles, you need to trap them into another chamber in order to reach the super shotgun, and this is a bit triky. also the rocket launcher is quite useless with only 3 shot :S, the hmp seem to work fine, at least is into my range :)

vile's lair: i couldent pass over 2 walls of arch-viles, i really suck at slaugter maps, so i can't give a real feedback on it :|

ForeverViLe said:

Map 20 is nameless again, I wasn't pleased from the final product once I finished it so I'm starting to build it from scratch once again.

nooooooooooo, i really liked the screenshots :S

RE_RE_EDIT: new fixed (i hope so) link:

http://www.mediafire.com/?vp0u3l2yuke2slo

now the map should be working: added some more monsters at the final area in UV, since it was ridiculously easy to do. you can skip all the cybra however. added "rivals" as music, i must figure out who made it. replaced waterfall with icy things.

Keeper of Jericho: Its true, have more action inside than outside, maybe i will change it, i have an ideas :), Ann im srry but i dont understand what final wave of arch-viles u mean, The arch-viles in the upper zone outside?
And respect the music, i dont have XWE to change it, so if anyone want put it is welcome. While i created the map i was thinking in baron`s lair (map06 of plutonia)
Gebstadter: I test ur map , and maybe u can change the order, for example, put the teleport behind a door key and get the blue key after, but the map is good man :)

Some recent eyecandy from MAP17

Oh yes, the hallway again... pretty boring, eh?

Individual links work fine, but the image tag for me on those images are broken. Look nice by the way!

I don't think that I'll finish map 20, I have an idea for a map but it should belong to episode 3 so I'd like to work on map 24 instead of map 20.
It's still nameless and it will have that old doom caves theme (like "the living end", "the final frontier" and "diehard".

ForeverViLe said:

I don't think that I'll finish map 20, I have an idea for a map but it should belong to episode 3 so I'd like to work on map 24 instead of map 20.
It's still nameless and it will have that old doom caves theme (like "the living end", "the final frontier" and "diehard".

Will do. =) *changes*

I've started working on map 24, I'll probably make it a bfg slaugther map :D it would remind some classics like "the living end", "diehard", "the final frontier", hr map 24 and av map 26.
WIP screenshot:

I'll probably finish my e2 map before wednesday. It's gonna have lots of boom features. I already did a conveyor belt you have to activate to grab the key, secret resulting in megasphere teleporting to the room and possibility to jump off the outer edges and drift away into the void (now just teleports back to starting point, I'm planning to include damage/death on higher difficulties). I wish it would be possible to create really low friction so player would slide uncontrollably until he bumps into wall/slides on normal friction sector.

i think that i may claim map 30, i dunno if it will be a good map, but i want to try.

Joseph Lord said:

i can take map27?

i think you can take it...

http://www.mediafire.com/?vq77zzor3iboemr

Here's my unfinished piece of a map. The question is, WHY THE HELL THE TELEPORT WITH TAGS AND DESTINATIONS WON'T TELEPORT?! The one behind yellow key bars. It already happened to me multiple times with doors in vanilla - a line doesn't work just because it doesn't. Please help.

It's on map13 slot.

Scypek2 said:

http://www.mediafire.com/?vq77zzor3iboemr

Here's my unfinished piece of a map. The question is, WHY THE HELL THE TELEPORT WITH TAGS AND DESTINATIONS WON'T TELEPORT?! The one behind yellow key bars. It already happened to me multiple times with doors in vanilla - a line doesn't work just because it doesn't. Please help.

It's on map13 slot.

It teleports just fine for me in ZDoom and PRBoom. Under what conditions is it failing to teleport? (Also, neat voodoo-doll scripting on those bars.)

in my case i had to fix several sector errors before being able to play it (but it is a wip so nevermind), and after... the yellow key can't be reached, and even if i get it (by cheating) the bars won't open, the sectors and the linedefs have different ids, and also i don't think that sr-door(yellow)_open_stay(fast) can be applied to bars at all... you may try to use a locked swicht to lower these bars OR make them Floor (16px) - Ceiling (16px) so that they can be recognised as (little) doors by the game itself...

@Gebstadter
under whatever conditions. I've loaded zdoom multiple times, used silent teleport (but still the one with destination thing) and it just did nothing. It refuses to work in BOTH ways. All five lines.

i don't know what to say... the version you posted just work fine, maybe is an error with your version of zdoom? mine is the latest.

Oh, here's your problem: the teleport destinations aren't flagged to appear on all skill levels. They don't appear on "easy" so if that's where you're testing then you'll have problems.

Cacowad said:

in my case i had to fix several sector errors before being able to play it (but it is a wip so nevermind), and after... the yellow key can't be reached, and even if i get it (by cheating) the bars won't open, the sectors and the linedefs have different ids, and also i don't think that sr-door(yellow)_open_stay(fast) can be applied to bars at all... you may try to use a locked swicht to lower these bars OR make them Floor (16px) - Ceiling (16px) so that they can be recognised as (little) doors by the game itself...

As far as the engine is concerned, the bars are locked switches that open a door in a remote sector to let a voodoo doll on a conveyor belt through. That voodoo doll then passes over a linedef that lowers the bars. It's a neat trick.

My map's still coming along. Pretty much just wrapped up the third room, which I was feeling uneasy about when I was starting out with it, but now that the main "gimmick" is in place, works out a lot better than I thought it would. Just added some extra light sources for some light variation (a large room filled with monsters at light level 128 is a bit too dark, I suppose, so I added some ceiling lights at 192 to mix it up a bit) Can't decide if it's too hard or not, though. I am a little concerned that a secret passageway I tossed in would count as a separate room, but it wouldn't be especially hard to remove it if it did.

Some screens (GLBoom+ 2.5.1.3):
Starting room
Starting room, from outside/second room
Third room (I swear it feels less dark than this)

Shadow Hog said:

I am a little concerned that a secret passageway I tossed in would count as a separate room, but it wouldn't be especially hard to remove it if it did.

You don't have to worry about that, as secrets don't add to your total room count.

Gebstadter said:

As far as the engine is concerned, the bars are locked switches that open a door in a remote sector to let a voodoo doll on a conveyor belt through. That voodoo doll then passes over a linedef that lowers the bars. It's a neat trick.

scypek, you are quite a genius (or quite an expert mapper), maybe i was too much impatient when testing the bars, i'm learning a lot here.

screenshot from E3 MAP30 "frozen", yes i am doing an another map just for the project...
main area done, now i will start detailing here and there...

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/69/screenshotdoom201211042.png/

say hi Romero!