Five Rooms of Doom: (32/32) - now on idgames

I'd like to claim an empty map spot. I have begun laying out the structure for what will be a small, relatively simple map. I am guessing I will need roughly 3 months to complete it.

Share this post


Link to post
Egregor said:

I'd like to claim an empty map spot. I have begun laying out the structure for what will be a small, relatively simple map. I am guessing I will need roughly 3 months to complete it.


Okay. Does map 3 sound good for you?

Share this post


Link to post

Sure! I've got a speed-rough draft that I believe is 5 rooms but before I go any further I'd like you to verify that it qualifies for the project. Here are the 5 rooms as I see them:

1. outside
2. upper hall with monster closet
3. central red key room
4. lower east hall (exit room)
5. lower north hall (blue armor room)

-the upper hall contains a large monster closet with a switch in it, I am not sure if that counts as a room unto itself, though the first post said monster closets are okay.

please give me feedback and let me know if this map qualifies for the project.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?kq2e5x5bakcadxp

Share this post


Link to post

Hey there, just popping on to say i am still working on my episode 1 map. If map 09 is the only available slot than may i take it?

Share this post


Link to post

I believe the basic layout of the map is done, finally (at any rate, you can theoretically play from the beginning of the map and reach an exit).

Still need to work on the Thing layout. As it is, the map's a lot harder than I was expecting. Need to balance out the whole thing with more health and ammo (or less/weaker monsters here and there, I dunno). Also still have to put in some opposition on the paths leading from Room 2 to Rooms 3 and 4 before I can say it's done-done - and even then, that's just for one difficulty (I guess this'll be Ultra-Violence).

Also still need to decide on music and a name. I have a few candidates for music in mind, but no real good idea for a level title...

Share this post


Link to post

eonfge: i gave a really quick run on your map,good use of height variation, but i found that unplayable without jumping, even straferunning i couldn't return in certain areas after i took the blue key. ammo was enougth even for an ammo-waster like me.

i will replay it when i will have some more time.

Share this post


Link to post

Eonfge: The map is very fun and brisk, but the really active part is when u get the blue key. When i see the BFG and i could get it only with a jump, recently then, i noticed that the map have a large distance in the difficulty between play it with jumping and play it without it.

Share this post


Link to post
Joseph Lord said:

Eonfge: The map is very fun and brisk, but the really active part is when u get the blue key. When i see the BFG and i could get it only with a jump, recently then, i noticed that the map have a large distance in the difficulty between play it with jumping and play it without it.


He, thanks for your positive feedback. As far as I know, the map is for Boom Compatibility and as such, jumpging is not allowed. Of couse, it's one of those things that kinda change depending on source ports, so people better play honestly ;)

I have to more into it. I'm also not really sure how well Boom supports rocket jumping, so those are some tricks I might have to look into a little better. An interesting argument, so thanks for mentioning it.

Share this post


Link to post

Tried it in GLBoom+ 2.5.1.3, and I gotta say, that is friggin' hard. I basically gave up before the blue key, because I was getting tired of having nowhere to turn to as a safe haven. I was able to pick off all the enemies up to the yellow door (through strategic ducking behind what little cover there was and far too many reloads of a save after death), but after that... getting slaughtered by Hell Knights if I rush in, getting slaughtered by homing Revenant missiles if I try to take the Hell Knights on slowly, getting slaughtered by Hell Knights, Pinkies and Lost Souls if I rush in when a gap opens up. And this is on HNTR (I know you said there wasn't any difficulty balancing, but there seems to be a little bit of it, seeing as the Revenants present in HMP are replaced with Hell Knights in HNTR). Ugh. I look forward to the proper lower-difficulty balancing you're implying is coming, or otherwise blasting through this with friends in Zandronum in the full pack, where death tends to be a slap on the wrist for us. Otherwise, I might return to my save there later...

One thing that really DOES need addressing, though: the little room you come down from has no Upper textures on the outside. It was rather jarring to see the flats extending so far, honestly. Also, there was a little sill filled with single rockets near the red door; I can't grab half of those. Unless there's supposed to be a way to actually get up there, you might want to look at it.

Share this post


Link to post
Shadow Hog said:

Tried it in GLBoom+ 2.5.1.3, and I gotta say, that is friggin' hard. I basically gave up before the blue key, because I was getting tired of having nowhere to turn to as a safe haven. I was able to pick off all the enemies up to the yellow door (through strategic ducking behind what little cover there was and far too many reloads of a save after death), but after that... getting slaughtered by Hell Knights if I rush in, getting slaughtered by homing Revenant missiles if I try to take the Hell Knights on slowly, getting slaughtered by Hell Knights, Pinkies and Lost Souls if I rush in when a gap opens up. And this is on HNTR (I know you said there wasn't any difficulty balancing, but there seems to be a little bit of it, seeing as the Revenants present in HMP are replaced with Hell Knights in HNTR). Ugh. I look forward to the proper lower-difficulty balancing you're implying is coming, or otherwise blasting through this with friends in Zandronum in the full pack, where death tends to be a slap on the wrist for us. Otherwise, I might return to my save there later...

One thing that really DOES need addressing, though: the little room you come down from has no Upper textures on the outside. It was rather jarring to see the flats extending so far, honestly. Also, there was a little sill filled with single rockets near the red door; I can't grab half of those. Unless there's supposed to be a way to actually get up there, you might want to look at it.


Thanks for your comments.

Truth to be told, I first started by placing all monsters with balanced counterparts for lower difficulties, but I stopped it because I also had to balance out the ammo and such. So yes, the first 5 minutes or so has HMP monsters.

I know that some of the tricks or unit set-ups in the maps are 'hard' and I intend to scale those down depending on the difficulty. Although truth to be told, I do think its close to fine for UV. The sill is actually a secret that requires some jumping. Might forgot to mark it as such.

I appreciate your comments and I shall really make improvements on it. I've almost finished the map to have a satisfying ending and then I'll scale the difficulties.

Share this post


Link to post

Oh, I thought I mentioned this, but apparently not:

I loved the aesthetic. :)

And yeah, I expect somebody more used to speeding through high difficulties will have much less problems than somebody like me who tends to play on HMP and takes his time with most fights. Definitely looked like the idea was to start as much infighting as possible, anyway.

Share this post


Link to post

Carnage Canyon v1

http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q512/jeff_king1/Screenshot_Doom_20121206_184216.png

http://www.mediafire.com/?14vyscy64g987lc

This is a significantly updated version of my map03. This map is meant to be kind of a chaos map, with a constant barrage of enemies. I am still unsure if this map technically qualifies as 5 rooms, so Keeper of Jericho, please let me know sooner rather than later. It is about 2/3rds finished. It has not been balanced. It plays on the 'too hard' side of the spectrum right now. I doubt there is enough ammo to finish. Comments and critiques welcomed.

Share this post


Link to post
Egregor said:

I am still unsure if this map technically qualifies as 5 rooms, so Keeper of Jericho, please let me know sooner rather than later.


I checked it, and you're good. You can safely continue your good work. =) Played the map, too, and I really dig it. I had just enough ammo to kill everything on UV, with 76 bullets left. Really enjoy the architecture inside the canyon, I think it's a fresh way to indicate the colour of which key opens which door. Really fun. Good music, too! Probably could use a bit more health and a super shotgun or something, but don't take my word for it. I'm not a very good playtester.

Share this post


Link to post

Bump bump!! Come on people, still a couple of maps to go before this can go beta!

I'm rounding up a few school assignments, and then I'm off to complete my second map!

Share this post


Link to post

Currently my interest to mapping is very fickle, includes all my other projects. It's just passing, though.
Here's my working alpha. Just remember to load the texture pack, too! This is the same I sent to KoJ, but I don't know if he received it at all...
Download from Dropbox.

Share this post


Link to post
CorSair said:

Currently my interest to mapping is very fickle, includes all my other projects. It's just passing, though.
Here's my working alpha. Just remember to load the texture pack, too! This is the same I sent to KoJ, but I don't know if he received it at all...
Download from Dropbox.

Don't worry, I got it! =)

Share this post


Link to post

Work in progress screenshot of my map 820000P:

[picture no longer working]

I focus on Grey/Brown/Orange/Red colors

Share this post


Link to post

I'm finally at home after 2 weeks in my unit's base (I'm usually at home once in two weeks only in the weekends), I hope that my maps are working fine without any bugs because I'm rarely at home so I don't have the time to see what's going on with the project.
All the maps that I've played so far are amazing, LF> the beta :D

Share this post


Link to post
CorSair said:

Currently my interest to mapping is very fickle, includes all my other projects. It's just passing, though.
Here's my working alpha. Just remember to load the texture pack, too! This is the same I sent to KoJ, but I don't know if he received it at all...
Download from Dropbox.

Very good map man!, an inspiration, in the blue key map someone must have a lot of patiencie, but very originali like it

Share this post


Link to post

Updated version with difficulties and such:
http://www.kevindegeling.nl/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/map22_28.wad

It might still be hard, but at least reasonable on lower difficulties. Skill 1 is seriously nerfed. Skill 2 is less pants-on-head retarted and Skill 3 is essentially the same.... He, don't look at me like that, its UV for a reason!

Comment Edit:

CorSair said:

Currently my interest to mapping is very fickle, includes all my other projects. It's just passing, though.
Here's my working alpha. Just remember to load the texture pack, too! This is the same I sent to KoJ, but I don't know if he received it at all...
Download from Dropbox.


It seems to me that it violates the 5 room limit. Although it are clearly five areas, one area exist out of more then one clear room. The one that starts with the 2 arch viles in a temple seems to be a little to complex for it's purpose.

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah, I'm concerned mine is really pushing it, too. I guess the only way to know is to put it up here before I start going crazy with the details.

At work, can't do it right now; might later tonight.

Share this post


Link to post
Joseph Lord said:

in the blue key map someone must have a lot of patiencie

It might be good way to lower pace and give more edge, but I am really concerned about the implication. Might need more thoughts, comments and hatemail about it...

Eonfge said:

It seems to me that it violates the 5 room limit. Although it are clearly five areas, one area exist out of more then one clear room. The one that starts with the 2 arch viles in a temple seems to be a little to complex for it's purpose.

Fffuuuuucccckkk. I was afraid of that.
But I think it is easily fixed with removal of the roof/ceiling, lowering those walls, so it looks open altar. Or do more redesigning about it.

Share this post


Link to post

Okay, so here's the map as it stands. MAP14, no difficulty levels, should be completable. I still need to add some monsters to fight to the outside of the blue- and yellow-keyed buildings, so this is by no means final.

I'm mostly concerned that the yellow- and red-keyed buildings are over the limit; yellow is mostly one room with a central pillar that goes up and down, obscuring side areas, while red is an open area with three sections off to the sides that need to be completed before you can head to the exit. Used fences instead of walls as much as I could in this regard, but I dunno if I pulled it off; I'm thinking at least one of the structures in the red-keyed room will have to be opened up more.

I'm also concerned that it's not obvious that you can grab the blue key after hitting the switch on the alcove. I raised the switch that lowers the column it's on, as well as changing the liquid from water to blood so that it'd stand out against the blue background (and have the blue key stand out from it). Even added goofy little arrows that go to light level 255 when you approach the switch. I'm still not convinced it's obvious enough.

If you're finding this too hard...

Spoiler

...you can shoot a computer panel over the slime pit in the first room to briefly reveal a SSG - the only one in the map. It's definitely doable without it, but it might make the blue-keyed room slightly easier.

Also, with regards to the end...
Spoiler

...pay attention to what the signs say, or else you'll come face-to-face with a Mastermind. (I actually wonder if this fight is too easy; I had been using rockets instead of plasma for this fight, but the cramped space meant I was killing myself more than I was killing it, so I wasn't sure if that was the right way to end the stage.)

I'm thinking of calling the map "Region X", based on the center room. I dunno.

Share this post


Link to post

Here some screenshots of my map, i have 2 rooms done by now. I've been busy, which explains my slow progress




Share this post


Link to post

I'll take MAP26. Once I get home I'll start playing around with some designs I've been considering. I'll try to have some progress images up by sunday.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now