Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Keeper of Jericho

Five Rooms of Doom: (32/32) - now on idgames

I will start on my MAP32 on Friday and it will use textures from cc4tex.wad.

Hmm...I thought this project won't work because of the complicated definition of "room", but I'm glad you could solve it =)

I'd like to take slot MAP12. For name, write "Cyberdemon Heliport". I had an idea to this title and I want to make it now, for a short map =)

Katamori said:

Hmm...I thought this project won't work because of the complicated definition of "room", but I'm glad you could solve it =)

I'd like to take slot MAP12. For name, write "Cyberdemon Heliport". I had an idea to this title and I want to make it now, for a short map =)

Yeah, I'm still kind of surprised by how dificult it turned out to be to define a "room". It seems so easy at first glance, until you start trying to explain it. =p

Consider yourself signed up for map 12. ^_^

hardcore_gamer said:

Sounds like fun. Count me in.

Sure thing, what episode or map do you want to take?

Agentbromsnor said:

Can somebody explain to me how to make a regular repeatable door (without a key) in vanilla Doom settings? I know how to make it in Hexen format, but I have no idea how it works in vanilla. :P

Quite easy. Make a sector for your door, have the lines textured with the door-textures face away from each other (so, the back of the lines must face each other), and give both lines the line-action 1 or 117. That should do the trick, I think.

walter confalonieri said:

ehy, i'll claim a episode 2 map too, i wanto do some experiments with "alien" theme....

*adds name to the list* Any particular map-slot in mind?

Keeper of Jericho said:

Sure thing, what episode or map do you want to take?

Since there will be episodes does that mean that each episode will have to fallow a certain theme?

And so then what themes do the episodes fallow?

EDIT: Also, do corridors and hallways count as rooms?

hardcore_gamer said:

Since there will be episodes does that mean that each episode will have to fallow a certain theme?

well for the first-second episode the only bound is the different sky textures, whilst a third episode map must be an hell-style one or something similar. correct me if i am wrong.

Cacowad said:

well for the first-second episode the only bound is the different sky textures, whilst a third episode map must be an hell-style one or something similar. correct me if i am wrong.

In that case I will take map 22 of episode 3 since I want to make a hell map.

Also, does the map have to support co-op play with more then just 1 player or is it ok to just have 1 player start?

EDIT: The name of the level is "And There Was No Hope" by the way.

Well, I still seem to have my account from when I went around the internet announcing SRB2 2.0's release back in, like, 2009. Might as well actually use it, seeing as I actually do like Doom.

So, seeing as this is open to complete newbies like myself (to an extent; I've been dabbling with actual Doom maps as opposed to SRB2 maps in Doom Builder for years - I've just never bothered to release anything)... I wouldn't mind trying an Episode 2 map, if there are still any left. I've actually gotten one room pretty well-done, a second one mostly-done (could probably stand for some better decoration), and a third one I'm still working on the layout for. No difficulty balancing as of yet; can't decide if what's there is too easy or too hard.

Episode 1 is okay too, but I don't think the map really works with an orange sky. Episode 3 is right out, since it's not a Hell map (at least one of the rooms is decidedly tech-base).

No name yet.

MAP17: Hallway Phase 3

Of course, I'm not designing only this hallway even in the meantime, and this ain't even over yet.

as long as i intended, co-op starts may be appreciated...

p.s. good to see so many mappers interessed...

hardcore_gamer said:

EDIT: Also, do corridors and hallways count as rooms?

The first two episodes can be whatever you want. The third episode has to be hellish.

Corridors and hallways can count as part of one of the rooms they lead to, unless you need to open a door to get in and open another one to get out.

hardcore_gamer said:

In that case I will take map 22 of episode 3 since I want to make a hell map.

Also, does the map have to support co-op play with more then just 1 player or is it ok to just have 1 player start?

EDIT: The name of the level is "And There Was No Hope" by the way.

Added to the list! It would be nice if your map supported Co-up, but it's not required.

Shadow Hog said:

So, seeing as this is open to complete newbies like myself (to an extent; I've been dabbling with actual Doom maps as opposed to SRB2 maps in Doom Builder for years - I've just never bothered to release anything)... I wouldn't mind trying an Episode 2 map, if there are still any left. I've actually gotten one room pretty well-done, a second one mostly-done (could probably stand for some better decoration), and a third one I'm still working on the layout for. No difficulty balancing as of yet; can't decide if what's there is too easy or too hard.

Episode 1 is okay too, but I don't think the map really works with an orange sky. Episode 3 is right out, since it's not a Hell map (at least one of the rooms is decidedly tech-base).

No name yet.

Signed you up for episode 2! Any particular slot in mind? Just look at the opening post to see which ones of e2 are still open.

Cacowad said:

as long as i intended, co-op starts may be appreciated...

p.s. good to see so many mappers interessed...

I'm making sure my own maps are suited for co-up, too.

Yeah, I'm pleasantly surprised by the interest in the project myself. ^_^

update! room n.o. 4 near to being completed...

edit: if possible i'll love to use e1m5 midi for this map, but since the map is still wip it may change.

Cacowad said:

update! room n.o. 4 near to being completed...

edit: if possible i'll love to use e1m5 midi for this map, but since the map is still wip it may change.

Are those slopes that I see on that screenshot?

I thought this project was suppose to be for boom.

hardcore_gamer said:

Are those slopes that I see on that screenshot?

I thought this project was suppose to be for boom.

no slopes was used in this map. anyway in vanilla projects you can build fake slopes and fake 3d floors, but i will not use them.

I know that I did not finish my ep1 map yet, but I already got interesting idea for map15 and its secret exit. So I would like to request others to not ninja that slot just for sake of getting it.
or maybe... Could I get an exception and sing up for both ep1 map and map 15?

My mind work much faster than I am able to work in Doom Builder.

I playtested my map yesterday a couple of times. The first room is actually pretty hard, even on medium difficulty. I always like to start my maps with sparse ammo. I hope thats not a problem, hehe.

I suggest to change the project name to Five Rooms of Doom (a word instead of number). It will look better and will make posible sequel more readable:
"Five Rooms of Doom 2: No hope for bigger places" :)

Sokoro said:

I suggest to change the project name to Five Rooms of Doom (a word instead of number). It will look better and will make posible sequel more readable:
"Five Rooms of Doom 2: No hope for bigger places" :)

Ha, I like that idea! "No Hope for bigger places" *sniggers* I'm not sure if "Five Rooms of Doom" is a good title for the project, but until anyone has a better idea, I think we'll stick with that.

Sokoro said:

My mind work much faster than I am able to work in Doom Builder.

eh, i have also an idea for map 30, but i'll wait until i fully finish map 21...

No hope for bigger places

ehm,ehm, you will see soon....

EDIT: there is a way to lock a teleport line? or i must do a locked door between you and the teleporting line?

RE-edit: seems that i am pretty bad at drawings pentagrams :|

Map 20 is almost finished.
Most of the gameplay is ready, all I have to do now is to add some extra ammo, health and playtest the map.

A decent cyberdemons gang will delay the player's journey to hell :D

Random question: does it count as one room? The ceiling is constant, this is one sector with the same ceiling & floor and door is not necessary, but you can't see the end of the corridor.

So, this is my work. Previously I wanted the heliport to a separated interior part, but I realised that this big opened place is also good for that part and it's even still one room =)

Cacowad said:

impressive :O how do you make the second floor windows?

Midtexture I suppose :) The second floor windows don't have a floor and neither have ceiling the first floor ones.

Thanks =) Cell is right, I used midtexture - there was funny to align them vertically...I may use a better trick because it's quite noticeable, but I'm not sure that I want to align the whole thing again.