Need BETA Testers for 2 Unfinished Mapsets

ATTENTION! For anyone who downloaded the first wad before 1:17 P.M. on October 21st, 2012, I had posted the link to a less updated version of the wad. The new link has been added. Please, redownload the first wad if you have already downloaded the outdated version.

Here is one of my new/old projects that I've been working on for the past couple of years. The first set of maps is finished, but I need some of you to play through them and give me some feedback. The maps that I need tested go all the way up until a message pops up saying "Chapter 2". It's a fairly long chapter, so be prepared for a good amount of play.

Give me feedback on any bugs, boring areas, hard areas, or any other problems with the mapset.

THANKS! :)

Link: Click here to download the wad!

The second mapset is a city that has been overrun by demons. This mapset has dialogue and multiple buildings you must go through. Also, unlike the first mapset above, this wad is straightforward and has more open areas to fight in, rather than small rooms.

Link: Click here to download the wad!

Share this post


Link to post

Looks very boring from what I've played so far. Each map is just a bunch of flat rooms connected by corridors. Not many players will find this interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Memfis said:

Looks very boring from what I've played so far. Each map is just a bunch of flat rooms connected by corridors. Not many players will find this interesting.


Wow, harsh... Okay. Well, like I said, it's an older wad. :/

Also, "From what I've played so far" pretty much hints that you haven't even finished the first chapter. There were a few rooms in the wad that I actually thought were interesting to me. I honestly think you should at least give an effort to finish.

Share this post


Link to post

I was gonna try it, but is it true that the filesize is 187 MB? and it's not zipped?

Share this post


Link to post
TimeOfDeath said:

I was gonna try it, but is it true that the filesize is 187 MB? and it's not zipped?


Erm, yeah. I kinda uploaded it quickly and forgot about archiving it.

Yes, it's a large file, I know. I have to delete unecessary data.

Share this post


Link to post

i really hope this wasn't filled of commercial mp3 and random map generator, man...

otherwise, i don't known how could be so big in file size.....

Share this post


Link to post
walter confalonieri said:

i really hope this wasn't filled of commercial mp3 and random map generator, man...

otherwise, i don't known how could be so big in file size.....


I ended up downloading much more textures than I ended up using, that's the main problem...

Share this post


Link to post

I have added a second wad for you alls to playz. Please be constructive with your criticism and try to play the mapset all the way through. Thanks, guys!

Share this post


Link to post

Well, I tried the second wad and it is definitely better because it has some open areas, which are a lot more fun than cramped rectangular rooms and hallways. But it's still very very simplistic. Just this one screenshot from 1994tu.wad looks way more interesting than your whole wad.
I still somewhat enjoyed it, probably because of kickass music, but I think you should seriously work on design...

Share this post


Link to post
Memfis said:

Well, I tried the second wad and it is definitely better because it has some open areas, which are a lot more fun than cramped rectangular rooms and hallways. But it's still very very simplistic. Just this one screenshot from 1994tu.wad looks way more interesting than your whole wad.
I still somewhat enjoyed it, probably because of kickass music, but I think you should seriously work on design...


I know, I know. I'll work on it. I've noticed my maps have been a little too "realistic" in the sense that I tend to be afraid to go out of the way to make the area stand out. However, I'm somewhat happy that you at least found it to be more interesting. I'll work on my simplicity for sure.

Share this post


Link to post

Well, I tried the first pwad: Tylers_Wad.wad .
I liked use of some custom monsters, poison like monsters near nukage, fire monsters near lava, while some custom monsters did broke it for me.
Mainly pointing at heretic's golems, these silly cartonish robo-bug monsters, green robo-aliens and little grey-brown deamons with horns. These did not clash with rest of monsters and did look out of place.
Great music in map03, map05 and map08, did you make these pieces?
Some maps were connected into a hub, but everytime I went from one map to another, then it took away all my keys :confused: and all monsters and weapons were respawned. Is it supposed to work that way?
I had to idclevXX to other levels to check them out.

Share this post


Link to post

Tried to download,but was informed I had to "solve a problem" to authorize a download. WTF?

Share this post


Link to post
Sokoro said:

Well, I tried the first pwad: Tylers_Wad.wad .
I liked use of some custom monsters, poison like monsters near nukage, fire monsters near lava, while some custom monsters did broke it for me.
Mainly pointing at heretic's golems, these silly cartonish robo-bug monsters, green robo-aliens and little grey-brown deamons with horns. These did not clash with rest of monsters and did look out of place.
Great music in map03, map05 and map08, did you make these pieces?
Some maps were connected into a hub, but everytime I went from one map to another, then it took away all my keys :confused: and all monsters and weapons were respawned. Is it supposed to work that way?
I had to idclevXX to other levels to check them out.


It's not supposed to do that, no. When I play, the monsters stay dead and the inventory remains with you. What engine are you playing on? I wish I made the music (although I do make music, the music in this wad were found in various places). I'll try to change some monsters around.

Share this post


Link to post
grouchbag said:

Tried to download,but was informed I had to "solve a problem" to authorize a download. WTF?


Yeah, I'm not sure what that's all about, you just have to type in the answer to whatever comes up.

Share this post


Link to post

I tried that a few months ago, and almost ended up with a virus.My computer security stopped it flat.That's why I don't trust those things.They don't always show up,just once in a while.They are usually gone in a day or two,maybe a week.Scary crap to me!

Share this post


Link to post

Well, I've been typing the codes and my virus software hasn't stopped me. I think sometimes those softwares freak out if something is foreign to them, but you should be able to type the code in, as far as I'm concerned. If you're still worried about it, I can send the file to you over Skype or you can run a virus scan after the download is complete.

Share this post


Link to post
grouchbag said:

Okay.Will try again.Thanks!


Yup! Hopefully you'll like them. Give me your positive and negative feedback.

Share this post


Link to post
PhantomTMac said:

It's not supposed to do that, no. When I play, the monsters stay dead and the inventory remains with you. What engine are you playing on? I wish I made the music (although I do make music, the music in this wad were found in various places). I'll try to change some monsters around.


Gzdoom (the latest stable version to this date)

Share this post


Link to post
Sokoro said:

Gzdoom (the latest stable version to this date)


When I play it, I play with Skulltag. Have you checked to make sure none of GZdoom's options aren't allowing maps to be clustered together.

Share this post


Link to post

Got them downloaded with no problem,am going to play now.I'll let you know what I think.

Share this post


Link to post
grouchbag said:

Got them downloaded with no problem,am going to play now.I'll let you know what I think.


Awesome! Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post

I tried your second mapset and I have to agree with Memfis. You try to make things to realistic and this gives the following problems:

- Everything looks the same, making it a somewhat dull experience. Yes I know that in RL alot of architecture is totally dull. But try to think of what makes certain cities so special and attracts tourists. Maybe you could add some of that "realistic" eye-candy.
- My personal view is that realism often stands in the way of good gameplay, in this case I never really felt challenged

I can see you put a lot of effort in creating these maps. I just wonder: what is your target audience?

Don't forget that people who give you feedback want to help you become better in what you do!

Share this post


Link to post
Boared said:

I can see you put a lot of effort in creating these maps. I just wonder: what is your target audience?


My target audience is basically all Doomers. I wanted this map to not be too hard for newer people, but not too easy for more experienced Doomers. I also wanted a map that I myself would enjoy playing. I wanted the map to have a storyline, but not let it get too far into the way of the actual gameplay.

Share this post


Link to post

I did a quick runthru on both.I liked the doom city wad,please finish?I only got a way into the first level,though.Company again.Anyway, while I agree about the sameness,I did like what I saw,especially the big rat.LOL! Please keep going!

Share this post


Link to post
grouchbag said:

I did a quick runthru on both.I liked the doom city wad,please finish?I only got a way into the first level,though.Company again.Anyway, while I agree about the sameness,I did like what I saw,especially the big rat.LOL! Please keep going!


Sure thing. I'll work on the sameness, but I won't drop the project.

Share this post


Link to post

This thread is still open, so everybody who reads it should try out the two wads listed at the top!

Try to play through the whole thing, if possible, and give both your LIKES and DISLIKES about the wads.

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
walter confalonieri said:

otherwise, i don't known how could be so big in file size.....

Music (in .WAV format) and sound effects. I'll check these out later.

Share this post


Link to post
GreyGhost said:

Music (in .WAV format) and sound effects. I'll check these out later.


Haha, I'm guessing somebody opened up my map in a wad editor? Yeah, I used a lot of wav's. I don't really like not being able to listen to .ogg files from the editor like I can with wav's.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now