Team Grybanser Fox CEO
http://www.doomworld.com/20years/best3.php < Runner-up mention.
Warning: You'll need your latest gzdoom svn to get this thing running, get it from http://svn.drdteam.org/gzdoom/ Or try to use latest official gzdoom which has necessary features.
Hello dear lads, this is Soulcrusher, a mod that is somewhat between a partial and total conversion for gzdoom. Final version is officially out! Get it now, don't wait, just play it when you have time, I need your feedback for the bugfixes in the future. Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cfrt0x6l5pobh2v/SCMain.zip
1.3 Update: https://www.dropbox.com/s/iu0kpbdhng9rq30/SCMain.wad
- Final boss dialogue works
- Final boss was made more fair, and the secret gun ACTUALLY works on him now.
- Final boss's area was redesigned to prevent some stupid bugs.
- STADMIN's gameplay flow has been improved a bit
- Sonic Gun no longer flashes when firing
- Last two levels now contain regenerating ammo.
- Fixed a bunch of visual bugs.
- Sniper Rifle's been partially buffed.
- It has 9 levels, 6 bosses, should keep you busy for a bit.
- There's a font bug you will notice but i have yet to find a fix for it.
- It's playable from start to the end.
- It's fairly balanced.
This mod won't be up on /idgames because while I can connect to it, I can't upload anything for some reason.
Maps, gameplay and various stuff was designed by me
Weapon graphics/some enemy graphics/music were done by Nmn while we still worked together, actually it was his work that inspired me to start something overwhelmingly big like this.
Below's the final trailer.
Here's a bonus little FAQ if you are curious about the details of this mod (It's spoilered because it's lengthy)Q: How long has it been in works?
A: If we are talking about super-early stuff then I would say the idea came to my head back in late 2007 when I was still a relative newcomer with a bunch of crap maps on /idgames however I haven't begun working on prototypes back in mid of 2008. The prototypes were how to put it... largely different from what I released here, it was just originally meant to be an average zdoom mod with Nmncorp textures and realm667 stuff all over it, simply nothing noteworthy.
The second level here, STGATE was the level in the prototypes, eventually it was made playable thus a proper prototype, the major difference is that the underground bit in STGATE was originally... fully underwater, it seemed cool at first but later on it became annoying both for me and the testers so I sorta removed that element of gameplay to keep constant flow.
It wasn't until 2009/2010 that I started working properly on this mod with Nmn while he still had time, the mod was intended to be a 7-act epic (technically this covers only 3 acts from the old concept) that would play like Strife but expand on that, make it so you can beat every level in 3 ways outside boss levels, as we know, nothing came of this concept as I wasn't able to do something this complex at the time. Still Nmn made a bunch of textures (including giving me the nmncorp3 leftovers!), the entire soundtrack, guns and some enemies but due certain life circumstances, I was forced to quit the total conversion concept.
The mod was constantly going through concept changes until mid-2011 when I more or less settled for the final concept, although there was one thing i'll mention in the next question.
Q: There's a big plothole when you leave STADMIN and begin STCITY, why is that?
A: You see, originally in the final concept there were meant to be 13 levels but because Nmn could'nt maintain working on so much stuff, I had to remove half the characters from the story and unfortunately drop 4 levels that were between STADMIN and STCITY (originally known as STCITY2), that also meant removing 2 planned boss fights.
BUT! There's a chance I might take a stab at adding back the missing content starting March 2013, which may take somewhere between 6 months and 9 months depending how I will be busy at college, unfortunately I can't promise anything because I dislike failing people. Plus... having worked on this for a long time, i'm worn out entirely temporarily.
Q: Since you mentioned there were meant to be 7 acts of the entire story. Who was the real villain?
A: As far as I remember it was called something like Izariat, a computer virus that was so intelligent that it was capable of manifesting itself in real life, the final fight was originally meant to be against him, he was meant to be sort of a godzilla-sized piece of junk but as we know, because of time and life constraints, this will not happen also because there are no fitting sprites for something like him anywhere.
Q: Do you plan to make a sequel filling the last 4 acts of the intended story?
A: Unlikely at this point because there are lots of factors preventing me from doing this:
- I am a college student, meaning starting 5th semester and ownards I will be extremely busy trying to get my IT engineer certificate.
- I'm not sure if people would be able to handle a sequel that is not much different from the original due resource limitations.
- I would need to use music from newgrounds because as we know, Nmn's out for good from Doom meaning chances of him composing a new soundtrack are zero.
- Right now I am very tired of doom modding in general and I need a decent break before doing anything new. The only new work you can look forward to are Map15, map17, map27 and parts of Map30 on TNT2 which is bound to come out sometime.
I'm not saying no but I need time, lots of time to do anything at this point.
Thank you for reading this and watching this thread since it was invented (and thanks to those who tested it and watched me progress with it).
- Redneck Rampage
- System Shock
- Doom 2.5
- All others which I forgot about.
Last edited by alterworldruler on Dec 18 2013 at 07:29