Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dragonsbrethren

PSX Doom: The Lost Levels - New Pre-Beta Available courtesy of Salahmander2

Pharaoh with a yellow key?! Well I never. :P Looks great, but the exit switch at the secret exit area is inaccessible, was this done deliberately?

DeXiaZ said:

Yes, because this map needn't especial music (where are whispers or screams or strange UAC base sounds).

Ah ok, it was just hard to make it out, as you said :)

Salahmander2 said:

Pharaoh with a yellow key?! Well I never. :P Looks great, but the exit switch at the secret exit area is inaccessible, was this done deliberately?

And there we go, I knew there would be something :P Thanks

EDIT: Update

Ooh, Pharaoh with night sky? I'll have to see how this actually looks.

Internet has been down for me since Thursday due to a lightning strike, nice to see so many updates to this

Pretty surprised ID/Williams didn't convert Hanger for Final Doom, considering how little changes was required. Great job, it's still pretty faithful for the PC version whilst having the PSX stuff.

Salahmander2 said:

Pretty surprised ID/Williams didn't convert Hanger for Final Doom, considering how little changes was required.

+1. But in process I thought that the reason was "Damn it, we must change ALL TEXTURES on NEW". And thank you!

UPDATE:

Download

UPDATE2:

Download

DeXiaZ, you're a damn machine! You're pumping out maps like a boss! They're all good, but I got a suggestion, I say add a couple of colourised sectors to both maps, mainly the nukage areas, and especially at the exit of The Omen, otherwise, terrific conversion, and that there are no other problems with the maps you've put up the last couple of days.

DeXiaZ, you're a damn machine!

LoL, thanks. Few years ago someone told me this (about my work with maps).

Ok, I will add color for nukage sectors

Salahmander2 said:

Awesome stuff, what map you planning on doing next?? *Eagerly waits*

Thanks. The Omen v1.1.

About next map - IDK, it's kind hard to choose. I'm thinking about Industrial Zone from Doom 2 (but I think that BaronOfStuff can do this [this map goes to secret "Wolfenstein" map by BoS])

Next, I see interesting maps in Master Levels (Mephisto [4 Icons of Sin] and Titan Manor [Damn it, I am fan of Resident Evil - I LOVE MANORS!]).

Well, in Plutonia I see map called "Slayer". Looks like remake of Doom 2 map11.

DeXiaZ said:

About next map - IDK, it's kind hard to choose. I'm thinking about Industrial Zone from Doom 2 (but I think that BaronOfStuff can do this [this map goes to secret "Wolfenstein" map by BoS])

Next, I see interesting maps in Master Levels (Mephisto [4 Icons of Sin] and Titan Manor [Damn it, I am fan of Resident Evil - I LOVE MANORS!]).

Well, in Plutonia I see map called "Slayer". Looks like remake of Doom 2 map11.

Not sure if Slayer was intended to be a remake, but it is very similar to Circle Of Death/'O' Of Destruction, whichever you wanna call it. I say do Industrial Zone, if you can convert Gotcha! with ease and make it look the PSX part, I'm sure Industrial Zone will be just as good.

Salahmander2 said:

Not sure if Slayer was intended to be a remake, but it is very similar to Circle Of Death/'O' Of Destruction, whichever you wanna call it. I say do Industrial Zone, if you can convert Gotcha! with ease and make it look the PSX part, I'm sure Industrial Zone will be just as good.

Well, I will try. But question: which sky? Firesky?

DeXiaZ said:

Well, I will try. But question: which sky? Firesky?

Stick to the city sky. Since the IZ is pretty much in the city in the original.

What the ****! That is outright interesting on what IZ looks like on PSX! It's looking great, I can't wait until it's done. :D

This project could end up as one of my favourites when its done, I spent about 3 years looking at videos of the PC maps before I actually managed to get the PC version itself last year. Holy shit it's been a year already.
Anyway, IZ looking great, hurr hurr hurr.
Just "hypothetically", would it be bad if I said if I haven't played nearly any of these for spoilery reasons?

Eris Falling said:

This project could end up as one of my favourites when its done, I spent about 3 years looking at videos of the PC maps before I actually managed to get the PC version itself last year. Holy shit it's been a year already.
Anyway, IZ looking great, hurr hurr hurr.
Just "hypothetically", would it be bad if I said if I haven't played nearly any of these for spoilery reasons?

Not bad at all. Everyone will always have a great and interesting way to experience Doom.

Sorry, I have no time and where are no screens and videos.

Industrial Zone

It's finished version, secret exit goes (but zmapinfo.txt not included in archive) to "The Castle" map by BaronOfStuff.

Well, guys, now I am really busy. Possibly it's my final map for this project.

My lord, it looks absolutely amazing, I have sadly, found a couple of faults. The part at the blue door, if you don't have a blue key, you're pretty much stuck. The floor won't go down. And in the blue key building, at the elevator where the invisibility sphere and backpack is, one of the walls behind the elevator has a HOM.

Salahmander2 said:

My lord, it looks absolutely amazing, I have sadly, found a couple of faults. The part at the blue door, if you don't have a blue key, you're pretty much stuck. The floor won't go down. And in the blue key building, at the elevator where the invisibility sphere and backpack is, one of the walls behind the elevator has a HOM.

About keys - don't know, in test I haven't problems with closed doors and keys.

About elevator...em, HOM? Hall of Mirrors? Well, I think that somebody can fix that, because I really have time only for reading this topic.

And thank you! Glad you liked it!

Great work, excellent stuff. It really looks like something else with all the reduced heights, but unfolds in the same manner to a near-flawless degree. After some screwing around and investigative work, the above mentioned issues have been corrected; the Blue Key problem in particular was pretty severe. And then there was...

Bugfix party!

- Sector 162 (Chaingun secret) couldn't be reached, not even with SR50. Have lowered the sector by an appropriate amount, now it can easily be accessed with SR40 (in the original MAP15, it could be accessed by merely running forward but we don't have the same freedom with heights to get that working here).

- Have also moved Thing 76 (Teleport Landing, Tag 22) back to the correct position (Sector 173); the nearby ledge where it had been placed instead (Sector 19) can still be reached with SR40, so the new placement wasn't really required. Just to make sure (because not everyone can SR40 'properly'), Sector 19 has been lowered by 16 units.

- Removed redundant 'Secret' effect from Sector 71.

- Swapped 'Secret' effect from Sector 147 to Sector 148 -- this was an original bug in MAP15. Sector 147 is barely wide enough for the engine to acknowledge the player's entry, and the secret was essentially unscorable unless you were very, very fortunate.

Other Stuff:
- Added red sector colouring to Sector 103 (uses BLOOD3 flat).

- Lowered central lava pool (Sector 26) by 32 units to prevent accidental access to Sector 50; requirement to access this is now the same as MAP15 (entry via Sector 1). Sectors 237, 88, 87, 55, 54, 53 and 52 have also been adapted accordingly, with the addition of new Sectors 270 - 284 to 'allow' pseudo-tiled use of a texture on a wall more than 256 units high. These sectors don't affect gameplay at all, and are merely used for what would be visual reasons.

That's everything I could see straight away.
Delicious fixes.

BaronOfStuff said:

Great work, excellent stuff. It really looks like something else with all the reduced heights, but unfolds in the same manner to a near-flawless degree. After some screwing around and investigative work, the above mentioned issues have been corrected; the Blue Key problem in particular was pretty severe. And then there was...

Bugfix party!

- Sector 162 (Chaingun secret) couldn't be reached, not even with SR50. Have lowered the sector by an appropriate amount, now it can easily be accessed with SR40 (in the original MAP15, it could be accessed by merely running forward but we don't have the same freedom with heights to get that working here).

- Have also moved Thing 76 (Teleport Landing, Tag 22) back to the correct position (Sector 173); the nearby ledge where it had been placed instead (Sector 19) can still be reached with SR40, so the new placement wasn't really required. Just to make sure (because not everyone can SR40 'properly'), Sector 19 has been lowered by 16 units.

- Removed redundant 'Secret' effect from Sector 71.

- Swapped 'Secret' effect from Sector 147 to Sector 148 -- this was an original bug in MAP15. Sector 147 is barely wide enough for the engine to acknowledge the player's entry, and the secret was essentially unscorable unless you were very, very fortunate.

Other Stuff:
- Added red sector colouring to Sector 103 (uses BLOOD3 flat).

- Lowered central lava pool (Sector 26) by 32 units to prevent accidental access to Sector 50; requirement to access this is now the same as MAP15 (entry via Sector 1). Sectors 237, 88, 87, 55, 54, 53 and 52 have also been adapted accordingly, with the addition of new Sectors 270 - 284 to 'allow' pseudo-tiled use of a texture on a wall more than 256 units high. These sectors don't affect gameplay at all, and are merely used for what would be visual reasons.

That's everything I could see straight away.
Delicious fixes.

Thank you! Well, now I'm relaxed about it ;)

UPDATE: I found time to test it. And there are some bugs:
1) No texture (wtf?) where is door to secret area with cacodemons
2) Well, you lowered floor, now it's >256. Well, if you think that it's permissible, I changed position of sky (before it cut off part of the wall)

v 1.2

Hey guys, I was thinking, is it okay if I touch up some of your maps a little bit, like adding coloured sectors where necessary and that? And of course attempting to fix certain bugs and that.

Salahmander2 said:

Hey guys, I was thinking, is it okay if I touch up some of your maps a little bit, like adding coloured sectors where necessary and that? And of course attempting to fix certain bugs and that.

Which maps?

Just almost any, a lot of them will most likely not need any changing, but I feel like adding some stuff to make it more PSXlike, monster placement and items and other Things will be staying the same.

I think I forgot to do the fading light and reverb on Pharaoh, so feel free to sort those out. I'm out this evening anyway.

Eris Falling said:

I think I forgot to do the fading light and reverb on Pharaoh, so feel free to sort those out. I'm out this evening anyway.

I'll see what I can do. Not sure on how to do the reverb, but I'm sure I'll be able to do the fading light. :)