Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
schwerpunk

[RELEASE] Monochrome Mapping Project (latest fix August 1st, 2013)

@ schwerpunk: Yes. I've been testing maps for many years now and I can say there's always something to be found, somewhere, hidden. Very few exceptions.

The intentional hom is on map 13 Tan Temple: on the same floor where the torches are moving ... monster misplacement is on map 10 Mono Asbest: near the end, around the blue key entrance, one of the opening area contains too much monsters. They can be stuck. The real hom is the one on map 11. CorSair had found this one before me. The door that seperates the start from the rest of the level will close and never open again. You will see homs and thru the door.

@ CorSair: that was the move. The answer is coming ...

I can fix the door in map11, but I don't know where the problem door in map22 is located on the map.

Scientist said:

I can fix the door in map11, but I don't know where the problem door in map22 is located on the map.

I can't for the life of me find that part again, either. But I believe it's presently a moot point, as Corsair is actively looking for his own fix right now. :)

@ Scientist: You're great. Doing a fantastic job. That Invisidoor in Ultramarine Kingdom is located in some tiny area around the spot where the Mancubus shoots from upstairs. Imps are located in some dead-end rectangular room, nearby right. In that tiny place, you'll find some health pack. Invisidoor in GZDoom. Rising tha door, rises the health pack too :) in my case; weird funny bug. It did that on the two occasions I went thru the map. Forgot! to take screenshots like I used to do. Neither the digits. I will confrim these to you this weekend as I finish my third run on it. Just to ensure. In case. EDIT: 11:55 North from the stair entrance; dark big door. Underneath Mancubus/behind the stairs.

Rain rain rain...

@ CorSair: I felt your map needed to be the last before the Icon Of Sin for reasons. It's Ultramarine Kingdom color; It's Ultramarine Kingdom difficulty; UK's where do I go?; UK's last Boss Battle; UK's long-lasting epicness. Amongs ... All masterpiece for me this Project. And It's even not because I helped in it. It's really nice. I'm old: I'm emo

@ schwepunk: jump/crouch enabled on map 13 Tan Temple. I'm updating my copy of your recent text file. Nicely explained BTW. Last thing, would you let me post the finished wad at ZDoom forums ? Some doomers there I'm sure would like to try ...

Apparently, that is engine bug in GZDoom. So, once that rewrite in polyobj handling is done, I think they will show up.

That's how I read it.

pfl said:

@ schwepunk: jump/crouch enabled on map 13 Tan Temple. I'm updating my copy of your recent text file. Nicely explained BTW. Last thing, would you let me post the finished wad at ZDoom forums ? Some doomers there I'm sure would like to try ...

Thanks. Text file [updated].

Of course you can post the finished wad at the ZDoom forums! Thanks for asking, though. And you may see me there, although under a different alias. ;-D

CorSair said:

Apparently, that is engine bug in GZDoom. So, once that rewrite in polyobj handling is done, I think they will show up.

That's how I read it.

Ah, okay, so a simple warning in the text file should suffice until the next build of GZDoom comes out. Unless you'd like to insert some other fix, CorSair. It's your baby, so I'll back your decision either way.

I have done the first 16 maps three times. I will make the best to playtest the last ones before saturday morning.

@ joe-ilya: Go ahead :)

@ Da Werecat: Which ones? The original map format used in Doom Builder, indeed, as the program was suggesting options to open the single maps. Feel free to update the text file or give us the info via PM.

joe-ilya said:

I want to do a nice short tech map.

Textures : compspan , compblue and two computer screens.

Do it! Although it probably won't make it in time for this megawad. Also, for the next megawad, I'm thinking of making two separate ones: DWMMP2 will be a mixed bag of various formats, like this one; and another, as of yet unnamed, megawad that would follow a consistent format and have logical level progression, story, art, etc.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. We're still finishing this one. :)

@ Da Werecat: I'm looking at the megawad in Doom Builder right now, and upon cursory examination, the formats seem to match... Unless I'm missing the trees for the forest or something.

Maybe we should do away with mapping formats and just list recommended ports. Shouldn't be too complicated, as in most cases it's either ZDoom or GZDoom, and in some rarer cases (like Da Werecat's) it's Boom.

I'll make the map for zdoom (doom in doom format).

Compspan , compblue , support2 , a computer screen.

As far as I know, there are only three basic map formats for Doom engines: Doom, Hexen and UDMF.

Doom Builder can detect these formats. Sorta. What it can't do is to differentiate between maps that were made for specific engines and games.

For example, according to Doom Builder, many of our maps may as well be for pure Hexen.

schwerpunk said:

Maybe we should do away with mapping formats and just list recommended ports.

I agree.

Well I downloaded PRBoom based off the port recommendation post just now, and oh good grief does it take me back to the 90's days of computers! I hope either that Da Werecat's map is alright to play in GZDoom when I do my LP, or that PRBoom can be easily configured to be windowed without much hassle. (and without the 256 bit color effect I had)

Either way I'm still looking forward to this project's release!

*** Slight problem on MAP18 Monochromatic Nightmare that WASN'T there the first two times I played: 3 or 4 spots show missing wall textures (the small squares places where text appears) + the level will crash at the end. NO warp to level 19. This is with the latest version. ***

@ Scientist: do you have any idea of what could have happened there? Is it possible to reinsert the level with no dammage done ? I keep on ... but it'll take me another 24 hours to get thru. Sunday morning should be done.

Just got up to MAP04 and I'm liking it so far, MAP04 kind of reminds me of the multiplayer map "Complex" from Goldeneye, especially the parts with the coloured lighting.

pfl said:

missing wall textures

It's my fault. TCHECK1, TDOOR1S and TDOOR1XS are consisting of patches with different names. Therefore, they weren't recreated automatically during clean up.

It's very easy to fix.

pfl said:

*** Slight problem on MAP18 Monochromatic Nightmare that WASN'T there the first two times I played: 3 or 4 spots show missing wall textures (the small squares places where text appears) + the level will crash at the end. NO warp to level 19. This is with the latest version. ***

@ Scientist: do you have any idea of what could have happened there? Is it possible to reinsert the level with no dammage done ? I keep on ... but it'll take me another 24 hours to get thru. Sunday morning should be done.

I don't think re-inserting the map will help :(. In the original one-map-wad the game will end when you pick up the soulsphere in sector 1033; It won't go to map 2 but to the endpic. I'm not sure but I think the soulsphere is scripted that way. My scripting skills aren't that great so I don't know how the fix it. If anyone else knows how to fix it, please help out!

I tried 18 earlier and gave up when I couldn't seem to open door w/ linedef 4647. Just figured I didn't solve some intentional puzzle or something. So I never made it to that apparent exit room yet.

Anyway, right click soulsphere southest of map. Click action, it uses this:
http://remilia.zdoom.org/wiki/Exit_Normal

My guess is try setting position to 0. If that doesn't work, it might be due to the delay shenanigans mentioned in above link. I would just make the soulsphere trigger an acs_execute script, then have that script cause the exit. So let me know if changing to 0 works.

@ scientist: Did you try what gggmork suggested yet? If that's still not doing it I could take a look at it. I know a bit of ACS (not as much as gggmork, mind, but maybe enough to fix the exit).

@ gggmork: Thanks for your consultation; hopefully that fixes it.

joe-ilya said:

download

My map's called : Proccesing area.

Holy mackerel, that was fast. No guarantee of this getting much testing right now, as we're just in crunch-mode for DWMMP1, but I'll put it up in the OP until we decide how we're doing the next megawad. :)

schwerpunk said:

your consultation; hopefully that fixes it.

Holy mackerel, that was fast. No guarantee of this getting much testing right now, as we're just in crunch-mode for DWMMP1, but I'll put it up in the OP until we decide how we're doing the next megawad. :)

Fun fact: I made this map in 30 min.

I will admit to prejudging your map, given how quickly you completed it. But I just finished my first run, and that was three minutes and fifteen seconds of solid enjoyment. The 'switches' (computer screens) were a bit strange, but given they're the most complex texture in the level, it was pretty clear what I was looking at. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing what you could come up with, without relying on the computer screens. Also, maybe add a glowing light on the 'exit triangle'? Just to remove all doubt.

Great height variation and use of platforms, and I didn't run into a single bug. I also really liked the part where you have to manoeuvre through the randomly moving pillars. Reminded me of something gggmork might come up with. Anyway, I had a blast.