[RELEASE] Monochrome Mapping Project (latest fix August 1st, 2013)

Lol, is that ASHWALL2 I see being used as a sky texture in the first screen? Awesome. Anyway, good contrast so far; nice use of absolute dark (I'm guessing) sectors as well.

Is that PIPEWAL2 or a missing sidedef in the centre-right of the your second screenshot?

EDIT: here's a little update on mine. I've managed to keep it to three textures, and I don't think I'll go over. Honestly, it could probably be done with only one, if I didn't mind spending half my time faffing about with coloured lighting and brightness levels.

Share this post


Link to post
schwerpunk said:

Is that PIPEWAL2 or a missing sidedef in the centre-right of the your second screenshot?


Haha, neither one of these! And it looks way better ingame. Although I've found a way to creatively use HOM too...



And...
Here it is! With co-op and even deathmatch starts.

Share this post


Link to post
Scypek2 said:

Haha, neither one of these! And it looks way better ingame. Although I've found a way to creatively use HOM too...

And...
Here it is! With co-op and even deathmatch starts.

Wow, I can tell you had fun with this. Some really neat ideas at play. I died to the surprise-chaingunners on the first attempt, but I definitely like it so far. Lots of fun little hints, and creative solutions. I look forward to getting into it more later.

Although I'm pretty attached to the idea of mostly-monochrome maps (I've cheated, myself on 'lava' and teleporter pads), you're definitely working in the spirit of the project that I keep referring to.

I'm looking forward to seeing what others think. This is very much a group project, so while I have my own ideas of what a map for this project should look like, I'd be very interested in hearing what the consensus is.

P.S. The ASHWAL2 'waterfall' is great.

Share this post


Link to post

I've ended up ignoring switches, used something more practical, that fits more for the monochrome environment. I'm about to finish the map, will upload it with pictures soon.

Share this post


Link to post

Other basic textures.

CEIL4_1
CEIL4_2
CEIL4_3
FLAT5_5 or STUCCO

Share this post


Link to post

I think i've finished the map.
It's fully monochrome, i've only used the two basic textures.

Pictures.













Map Name: Mono Asbest.

Download

I've included MIDI if necessary.

Share this post


Link to post

Just finished mine, as well. Only uses two textures. You guys may find the sky... chuckle-worthy. It's a roughly ten-minute romp with full difficulty settings. There's no music, and the map runs in Zdoom under Map01. Enjoy!

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/85168341/mono1.zip

PS - The name, Coagulation, is in reference to the way the map stops up flow over the course of play and forces the player into tighter spaces over time.

Share this post


Link to post
FractalXX said:

I think i've finished the map.
It's fully monochrome, i've only used the two basic textures.

[…]

Map Name: Mono Asbest.


O_o
Wow.

Share this post


Link to post

Wow, those are both really entertaining, and fully monochrome to boot. These are definitely the gold standard to beat now.

Share this post


Link to post

Double post: I updated the OP to reflect the newest entries. Please tell me if I've left anything out.

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks!

Membrain said:

Just finished mine, as well. Only uses two textures. You guys may find the sky... chuckle-worthy. It's a roughly ten-minute romp with full difficulty settings. There's no music, and the map runs in Zdoom under Map01. Enjoy!

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/85168341/mono1.zip

PS - The name, Coagulation, is in reference to the way the map stops up flow over the course of play and forces the player into tighter spaces over time.


Just went through it. In my opinion, the best thing in it was the huge "playground". I like when i have a lot of space to fight, but still can't find my spot to stand still. The environment was impressive, too.

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks for the review. Now that I've had a good night's rest, I went through the other two entries.

Firstly, Scypek2's map. It's pretty fun, and definitely feels like a unique map. It's not quite in the realm of being a concept map, which, under the constraints of this project, is a very good thing. Ammo and health balance was fairly tight, and the fights were fairly fun. (That archie elevator was a cruel trap, though!) I could see this map being altered to fit the two-texture rule without much trouble, though it wouldn't feel quite as much like a mountain. The winding rooms made the map feel a lot bigger than it was, but I never really got lost. One item of note is that I managed to exit the level without killing the two bosses. Don't know if that's intended or not.

And now, FractalXX's entry. The first thing I noticed about this one was how confined it felt. That really gave this map a very particular feel. The rooms were never too tight to fight in, but I always had a slight inkling of claustrophobia. It's definitely full of atmosphere and neat detailing tricks. The interplay of the two textures and the varying light levels ensured that each area was distinct and memorable, and figuring out the mechanisms wasn't too difficult. (The buttons, notably, were nicely done.) I really enjoyed the fights in here, though I will say that the map could have even been a bit more difficult without being unfair. Regardless, it's very fun and never gets dull.

Share this post


Link to post
ducon said:

O_o
Wow.


seconded.

fractalxx: your map seem pooped out from Which (which is good, if you don't know it, search it on youtube to understand what i mean), good map (pressure plates! i loved it!).

Membrain: just, gasp, i wish i could play on my level like you do. it took me a while to figure out that that altars was a swicth (i am not a clever person), but after all, the map was gorgeous.

scypek2: is always a pleasure play one of your maps, they are always full of creative ideas and fun to play.

since i always play on HMP, i didn't find any issue on health-ammo balance on these three.

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks for all of you. :)

I really believe, that this project will be quite successful.

Membrain said:

And now, FractalXX's entry. The first thing I noticed about this one was how confined it felt. That really gave this map a very particular feel. The rooms were never too tight to fight in, but I always had a slight inkling of claustrophobia. It's definitely full of atmosphere and neat detailing tricks. The interplay of the two textures and the varying light levels ensured that each area was distinct and memorable, and figuring out the mechanisms wasn't too difficult. (The buttons, notably, were nicely done.) I really enjoyed the fights in here, though I will say that the map could have even been a bit more difficult without being unfair. Regardless, it's very fun and never gets dull.


Actually, i'm not so good in balancing the gameplay, but tried to do my best. :)

Share this post


Link to post

The result of my experiment. I call it "Contrast" and it will be an empty (=0, maybe 1 monster) and horroristic level.

Instead of using 2x2 textures, I focused on using the same colours, but with a lot of textures. (about 10 textures I use)

On the latest shot, the TEKWALL and the BLACKWAL textures are scrolling.




Share this post


Link to post

Katamori: That looks great. It's interesting to see a different take on the project, with a focus on contrasts more than minimalist texture use (although still somewhat minimal when compared to an ordinary map).

Also that gory corner in your third screenshot... It scares me. o_O;;

Share this post


Link to post

I really dig that first screenshot. I'd love to see a map in that style completed, regardless of what constraints it's under. Looks great!

I was inspired, today, to go ahead and make another map. This one's a bit more traditional, and since it has normal doors and switches, I had to use the two additional textures to make sure that they are easily visible. All the same stats as the last map. No music, "new" sky, and G/ZDoom compatibility.(Uses scripting, and I'm not sure how many ports use UDMF.)

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/85168341/mono2.zip

Share this post


Link to post
Da Werecat said:

Do you have any particular deadline?

No deadline unless we decide to bundle these all together. Right now it's just an ongoing project.

Feel free to keep us up-to-date with your progress, along with any inspirations or ideas you've had (teaser screenshots don't hurt, either). It shouldn't be hard with this community, but I'd like us to continue fostering a very collaborative and supportive atmosphere in this thread.

If you've got a name for your wad and some screenshots, I'll add you to the OP under 'pending.'

Share this post


Link to post
schwerpunk said:

Katamori:(although still somewhat minimal when compared to an ordinary map).


Of course, these maps are not ordinary =)

Also that gory corner in your third screenshot... It scares me. o_O;;

Spoiler

You die when you try to go there =) this is what I want to suggest, just like around ther teleporters on MAP07 of katamori 1024.

By the way, this is a Boom-compatible map. =)

Share this post


Link to post
schwerpunk said:

If you've got a name for your wad and some screenshots, I'll add you to the OP under 'pending.'

Well, I'm not sure if this will fit into the project since I'm using my own textures. But I'll try to search-and-replace everything if absolutely necessary.

Share this post


Link to post
Da Werecat said:

Well, I'm not sure if this will fit into the project since I'm using my own textures. But I'll try to search-and-replace everything if absolutely necessary.

I'd say that works. More people might play a standard textures version, but I've got nothing against admitting a wad that uses custom textures.

Is it called 'greyroom' as per your .png?

EDIT: added

Share this post


Link to post
schwerpunk said:

Is it called 'greyroom' as per your .png?

It would be appropriate, I guess. I haven't picked a better name yet.

Share this post


Link to post

@Katamori & Da Werecat: Any progress on your maps? I've been itching to do a third entry for the project, but I wanted to see a bit more of what could potentially be in there.

Share this post


Link to post

Membrain: in the interests of keeping this project moving, here's a VERY 'wip' upload of my wad ('WhiteRoom,' to be renamed). It's currently pretty boring, uses switch sidedefs in some places (to be replaced), but it should give you an idea of a different direction. I've made blatant use of coloured lighting in certain areas, so it isn't a true monochrome map like yours and FractalXX's. But once it's finished it will be using only two sidedefs.

WhiteRoom.wad (Dropbox).
Port: ZDoom
IWAD: Doom2
Format: UDMF
Status: 49.5% complete.

EDIT: added emphasis to the word 'very' above. Seriously, don't expect it to be even remotely fun yet. :/

Share this post


Link to post
schwerpunk said:

Membrain: in the interests of keeping this project moving, here's a VERY 'wip' upload of my wad ('WhiteRoom,' to be renamed). It's currently pretty boring, uses switch sidedefs in some places (to be replaced), but it should give you an idea of a different direction. I've made blatant use of coloured lighting in certain areas, so it isn't a true monochrome map like yours and FractalXX's. But once it's finished it will be using only two sidedefs.

WhiteRoom.wad (Dropbox).
Port: ZDoom
IWAD: Doom2
Format: UDMF
Status: 49.5% complete.

EDIT: added emphasis to the word 'very' above. Seriously, don't expect it to be even remotely fun yet. :/


I've never tried UDMF before, so i don't know much about it. But it looks decent, and fun to play.

Share this post


Link to post

This is what I'm currently working on. I'm having major fun playing with lots of dynamic lights here.



Share this post


Link to post
Membrain said:

@Katamori & Da Werecat: Any progress on your maps? I've been itching to do a third entry for the project, but I wanted to see a bit more of what could potentially be in there.


I didn't have much time to continue yet. But the map of course still lives! =)

Share this post


Link to post

I've got a little idea for a map for this, but I'll need some resources: anyone know where I can get some completely black and white wall and floor textures? There aren't any in the stock textures and I don't really know where to look.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now