Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ribbiks

Slaughterfest 3 [Beta_C released, 05/08/2017]

cannonball said:

You have a custom texture in your wad file, remove that and replace the sidedefs which use that texture with one from the cc4-tex pack. That should work.

That does indeed work. Thanks! Corrected and uploaded. The same link will work.

Dave

oh, you beat me to it. here's a version of your map built with zennode that runs standalone (required cc4 textures + your custom texture included in wad).

btw the automap looks pretty :)

Ribbiks said:

oh, you beat me to it. here's a version of your map built with zennode that runs standalone (required cc4 textures + your custom texture included in wad).

btw the automap looks pretty :)

Thanks! What is actually causing the problem in my original file? I'm not 100% up with everything on the various source ports which is why I tend to stick with ZDoom.

Dave

(I think) it's something to do with prb+ not liking to load multiple texture/pnames lumps, so when you had your own in the wad it overrode the cc4-tex ones, so it thought textures were missing. That's actually the reason I wrote silly scripty things to make standalone wads that throw all the required resources into a single textures lump. afaik zdoom combines all that stuff on startup.

Thanks Ribbiks, i suspected that might be the case. At least I have a better idea with Boom now, although I do miss the extra ACS scripting ��

Dave

yo people,

i have updated my map in gameplay and also in optical things. i would say the map is finished to 95% or so now. i will not change big things anymore, because the map now is pretty good how it is. i put in the link that anyone can play it. but notice, this is still not the final version as i said. the map is just finished to 95% and i must control everything one last time, before i release the final version at the end. it would be nice if anyone could make a demo for it.

oh, and as i said in other replys before. this map just plays and looks to 100% correct in zdoom but not in pr-boom plus because this port is retarded. so zdoom is highly recommended but it works overall also pretty nice in pr-boom plus because i tested it on this port alot of times too. and also the changed end now works overall pretty fine. it's tough at first but when you know how, it's not really so hard anymore like the rest of the map too.

oh, and jongo. i saw your demo but the way i handle the archviles makes the whole map much easier then the way you did it. there are always more than one way to handle, but it was interesting to see a totallly different kind how to play the map.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/kqzgdt

djd

Superluigieth1 said:

Yay! Been waiting 4 this for months! So, which spot can I take?

It doesn't matter, just make a map. They'll be organized at the end according to difficulty, I think.

New and updated maps, sweet... I'm almost done updating the pre-release to version 4 containing all 32 maps. New features include custom hud, title pic & music, intermission pic & music, a rough map order according to difficulty which could use your feedback, prboom compatible, high res title + intermission pic for zdoom based ports.

Some multiplayer feedback I gathered so far:

Rayzik - Desecration v4:

Once someone dies inside the RSK trap, bars will block others from getting the key. Please fix this (ie. a teleporter).

Daiyu - Daiyu's chamber (v5):

Bars at yellow key room close others out if someone dies inside at the wrong moment. (teleporter?)

Daiyu - Shanghai massacre (v2):

Bars at the doors near exit will block other players. (teleporter?)

Following maps were not playable online due to high number of monsters that are active at the same time. Depending on the map/monsters/port, maximum is around 500-1k active mobs. In some maps this can be fixed: not every teleporting monster has to wake at the same time, they may teleport in at different/rooms and don't need to wake at spawn for example. I leave it up to the map authors to fix anything if possible.

phml - Three lines (v2)
ArmouredBlood - Red recluse (v4)
gggmork - Mult (v1)
darkdave1985 - Insane trip (v1)

Archi, your latest version of Broken mind makes Zandronum servers crash, the map won't load. I noticed in singleplayer some loud noise from the exit. Perhaps this is the cause?

__Lagger__ said:

Archi, your latest version of Broken mind makes Zandronum servers crash, the map won't load. I noticed in singleplayer some loud noise from the exit. Perhaps this is the cause?

Well, I don't know why Zandronum crushes...

Final noises are heard because of crushing a bunch of Romeroheads, I don't know how to make it less loud in ports without limits for number of sounds at the same time. I can just delete the final explosions, but it looks too cool to remove, I think.

hey guys,

i have a problem. i want to play the version 4 of the wad with zdoom but it don't work. i have the main wad file and the texture file in the same folder but it don't work. what must i do, to run it correctly? please anyone should help me fast. thanks!

djd

Servers used to crash on zdaemon because of all the romero heads dying on an Equinox map, but I think they fixed that. Either way, SF is still primarily a single player prboom-plus wad, so it should be up to the mapper whether to also cater to an MP port.

Lagger, thanks for your eagerness to test, but I hope Ribbiks is ok with you posting new versions (he's the bossman). Also, keep in mind that all the stuff you added to the wad might be gone in the final version.

so, the problem with playing the wad is solved. some minutes after i wrote my last reply, it had worked. but i have 2 other questions now. my map is on map 16 now and as i played it, some texture offsets were changed in the firt room. how can that be, has anyone changed that? no, or? i don't know why this is changed when you play the map in the main wad file sf 2013 but it shouldn't be. the second thing is, that some original textures from doom 2 look a little bit different then normally. like for example a specific switch texture but i think that is saved in the main wad file sf 2013, just that it looks better, right?

when anyone can give me answers to that 2 things, i would be happy. thanks,

djd

Lagger said he used doom builder to compile the wad, so I wonder if he rebuilt nodes for every map as well. I'd check if the prerelease wads were zipped.

yah nodes would be rebuilt if using DB to combine. I haven't taken a look at the wad to see if any other subtle stuff might've changed.

@ ToD's previous post:

indeed, I'll be handling compilation on my own when this thing eventually gets geared up for release. I'm ok with Lagger compiling his own versions of stuff in order to enumerate MP bugfixes and what have you, but a particular fix will only be 'officially' implemented by the map's author, or with their permission. Bonus brownie points for maintaining some sort of "unofficial" and/or "pre-release" label on whatever ends up floating about the interweb.

Holy crap someone actually had the original version of Firestarter, well better make improvements to the map. Might reduce this map to just rockets and make the opposition a little lighter on the hit point side as well as improving the design a bit.

Indeed. I kinda liked the map so I kept it around hoping you'd eventually change you mind on abandoning it and instead make some improvements. My devious plan seems to have worked :)

Firestarter version 2
http://speedy.sh/Yy59b/Firestarterv.2.wad
Kind of crude but should be less grindy to get going in the map.
- The side wings are now changed, the platforms replaced with stairs, hellknights replaced with imps and demons which can slowly descend into the central area. Few extra monsters embedded in each wing. The archvile/chaingunner ledges have been removed.
- Corner areas of the central room, imps replaced with spiders
- Corner ledges, mancubi replaced by lots of zombiemen
- Archies spawn in after both switches are pressed, 2 on UV, 1 on HMP, none on lowest skill settings.
- Final room shrunk slightly and altered significantly, exit bars removed as they seem unnecessary now.
- BFG removed. Map uses rocket launcher as primary weapon throughout the map, hence why there is only 1 cyberdemon which is in the central area on the ledge.
-Few other various health/item/monster changes
-Lava now damages because...... it's lava but only the 2/5% sector special because I'm not that mean :P
Hope people prefer this to the previous version.
When casually testing this map it was taking 4-5 minutes to finish which was less than the previous version. But I was playing with god mode on because, well I suck at slaughtermaps :P

here's a demo for ^^ cb: http://www.mediafire.com/?ad9rmtphd4t7eop

it could aptly be renamed "ribbiks poorly manages resources and is unable to kill monsters"

seriously though, I don't think it would hurt too much to give away some rockets and shells behind the final door.. Either that or less PEs would be nice. The cyb would've done some serious work had I left him alive, but I don't think it would throw off balance if a few more shells were given.

Also it seems like no strategy would be superior to camping the left or right wing, with hurray megaspheres, and a safe wall on 3 sides of you. The sides could be made a bit more annoying by having perched AVs outside that kick your ass if you try and camp, or maybe more revs. But if you were to deny that strat, I'd definitely encourage giving the player at least a green armor if they're to stick it out in the center area for more time.

I definitely didn't edit any of the maps.

At start I used doombuilder to compile everything to 1 wad because someone on the interwebs said it was easy and a good way to do this. Then I noticed it was very bugged (removing existing maps and such) and slow, so I just did this the copy paste way using slumped. I know darkdave1985's map was added in a later release so I'm sure there was no Doombuilder there to make any changes to your map.

I do know what causes texture changes and I blame bad texture packs like gothictx. Don't get me wrong, I think these textures look awesome which makes it great. The reason why it's bad is because it replaces existing doom textures. This instead of keeping the originals and adding new ones with new names. Eventually this ends up with 1 map requiring the original texture and another map requiring the gothictx replacement texure. Well you can't have both textures with the same name. If you feel your map looks wrong then try to load the map with the original texture pack and all should be fine.

Heh, I leave it up to Ribbiks to fix all that stuff for a final release. If I had to organise an event like this I'd definitely make some very strict rules regarding custom texture usage. >:D

Ribbiks said:

The Specifics:[/b]
- add coop starts

As for the multiplayer feedback provided, it is NOT trying to tell you whether your map is fun/balanced/good/bad in multiplayer and I'm definitely not saying that maps have to be multiplayer oriented. It's just that some maps aren't playable at all (technical issues, not gameplaywise).

TimeOfDeath don't worry, your maps work fine online and there's plenty to kill. There are usually no bars that block other players out etc.

To all map authors, I would be glad to add multiplayer fixes to your map: minor fixes that make them actually load online and prevent players from getting stuck. I will not change any gameplay and I don't want to change anything without permission. Please, let me know if you want me to add fixes that just affect multiplayer issues.

Well, I really did forget about adding extra monsters/weapons for coop players, although I do have coop starts. If you want, I'll allow you to put in extra ground-level monsters to some parts of Naquacrescents.wad. Just don't alter the layout.

I'm only saying this since I think my map may be too easy for coop and that I'm not really a multiplayer kind of player so I don't know much of this online playing stuff.

I do know what causes texture changes and I blame bad texture packs like gothictx. Don't get me wrong, I think these textures look awesome which makes it great. The reason why it's bad is because it replaces existing doom textures. This instead of keeping the originals and adding new ones with new names. Eventually this ends up with 1 map requiring the original texture and another map requiring the gothictx replacement texure. Well you can't have both textures with the same name. If you feel your map looks wrong then try to load the map with the original texture pack and all should be fine.

This is one recurring pet peeve of mine. Perhaps it would be worth it to make a "fixed" GOTHICTX texture pack, not adding or removing anything, but changing the names of the few textures replacing IWAD ones, considering how often it is used for slaughter maps.

It's pretty silly how we end up with "SW1BLUE" (GOTHICTX replacement) and "SW1GOTH" (same texture save for slight improvements, from the cc4-tex compilation), and no actual SW1BLUE texture from Doom 2. :)

Please don't make any architectural changes to Three Lines, for MP or otherwise, as it would defeat the point (three linedefs and nothing else). Perhaps you could flag a lot of monsters out for MP so the map would run. It might make for a pretty dull level, though. It's a gimmicky map and doesn't need to be included in the final compilation, if need be.

Hurricyclone said:

Well, I really did forget about adding extra monsters/weapons for coop players, although I do have coop starts. If you want, I'll allow you to put in extra ground-level monsters to some parts of Naquacrescents.wad. Just don't alter the layout.

I'm only saying this since I think my map may be too easy for coop and that I'm not really a multiplayer kind of player so I don't know much of this online playing stuff.

Throw a few extra archviles and cybers usually does the trick in open environments. Well that's what I do anyway. To be honest we have plenty of time before anything resembling a Beta gets released.

Hurricyclone, I'm not going to adjust any gameplay. The idea is to fix multiplayer "bugs". For example:

Some maps feature traps rooms with bars so the player won't leave the room. Problems arise when the trapped player doesn't know what to do and dies in the trap room. If this happens, other players won't be able to finish the map, because they are locked outside the trap and won't be able to hit that required switch or pick up that one key located inside the trap room.

There is a very easy and obvious fix for this (adding a teleporter that transports you beyond the bars into the trap room). Unfortunately some mappers never play online. They don't know the problems and hence never consider a fix.

Phml, I got the point of the minimum of 3 lines right away and never considered it should be changed.

Hey Lagger, did you really find Exodus Remix as easy as its placement implies? I guess it needs a few more archviles and maybe a bit less ammo? :)

This is the first time i've seen most of the maps for sf2013 and they look really interesting actually. Quite a lot of them are a bit dodgy aesthetically, but I think the material here is consistently interesting all the way through.

btw, on the subject of aesthetics, how many people here would be okay with me redecorating their maps a little bit? Every year i'm really tempted to compile my own version of the slaughterfest maps and ruthlessly redecorate everything i don't like, just to see what it would be like, and this year since we have 32 pretty cool maps and loads of time to spare, I might actually get round to doing it. Obviously anyone would be free to say "no, I liked mine better" in the end, so it'd be useful to hear what everyone else thinks before I do anything.