Doom2Remake By Me !*Pre-alpha v0.3 GamePlay Footage*!

I hate to break it to you, but you're going to get a cease and desist letter from id Software if you continue this. Just warning you.

Share this post


Link to post

Those are actually really impressive, though please make the monsters look more sinister and evil. And what impboy4 said is true, if you're going to remake doom then make sure your models look different from the sprites and dont make the maps like exactly like the originals.

Other than what impboy4 said i think you should continue this project because it looks very promising.

I look forward to seeing how the arachnotron and spidermastermind turn out.

Share this post


Link to post
Alwaysdoomed said:

Those are actually really impressive, though please make the monsters look more sinister and evil. And what impboy4 said is true, if you're going to remake doom then make sure your models look different from the sprites and dont make the maps like exactly like the originals.

Other than what impboy4 said i think you should continue this project because it looks very promising.

I look forward to seeing how the arachnotron and spidermastermind turn out.


Um, making the models different from the sprites but still act like the monsters is still illegal.

Share this post


Link to post
Impboy4 said:

Um, making the models different from the sprites but still act like the monsters is still illegal.


oh well, so you are in a completely illegal community, better get out of there!

jokes beside, alwaysdoomed is right, it looks good so far and you may consider to change the monsters apparence.

Share this post


Link to post
Impboy4 said:

Um, making the models different from the sprites but still act like the monsters is still illegal.


If it gets to be trouble, he could always model them after FreeDoom instead. I'm pretty sure those guys don't care as long as they're credited.

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks for letting me know guys i'v mailed id software about that and i'm wating for their answer .

Share this post


Link to post
Impboy4 said:

I hate to break it to you, but you're going to get a cease and desist letter from id Software if you continue this. Just warning you.

Why? How is this different from hires texture packs, 3d models for jDoom, etc? Or are these illegal too?

Share this post


Link to post
Memfis said:

Why? How is this different from hires texture packs, 3d models for jDoom, etc? Or are these illegal too?


Maybe it looks too good? I've heard of projects getting ignored by companies but getting forced down when they start looking too good. I guess the idea is that it becomes a threat to them or something.

Share this post


Link to post

I thought the models etc were going to be for a Doom port, not an actual re-make....though guess it does say 'remake'!

As for that floor, looks great, but I noticed its a actual detailed model. I really dont think thats very efficient and should be using bump mapping for pretty much the same result. Not to mention its more flexible and much better on performance.

If this is a re-make, should the actual engine not be designed first before real effort goos into assets ?

Either way wish you luck and look forward to seeing how this develops.

Share this post


Link to post
bcwood16 said:

As for that floor, looks great, but I noticed its a actual detailed model.

As your your comment, I noticed it's quite uninformed and shows a lack of understanding of both Unity's heirarchy browser and geometry shaders.

Share this post


Link to post
GooberMan said:

As your your comment, I noticed it's quite uninformed and shows a lack of understanding of both Unity's heirarchy browser and geometry shaders.


It has a bump map on, but it wont get depth unless i will use parallex map or dx11 tesselation, parallex only looks depthed but if you look at the corner it's flat, dx11 tesselation can do it as well but to get presice results the amount of extra geometry will be huge, therefore this is more efficient to use a low poly model with texture and bump map on it .

Share this post


Link to post
GooberMan said:

As your your comment, I noticed it's quite uninformed and shows a lack of understanding of both Unity's heirarchy browser and geometry shaders.


Yup, indeedy :(

I didnt look very hard into the screenshot and thought what I was seeing was a 3D modelling program like Blender or something. Having a Google of Unity, I can now see its a game development platform. Will have to look into it more sometime, looks pretty cool :)

Share this post


Link to post
Sahkan said:

therefore this is more efficient to use a low poly model with texture and bump map on it.

Nope. Because if you're making a Doom remake, you want to apply that material to arbitrary surfaces. And to do that, you're going to have to instance render each mesh instance if you want any reasonable performance out of it, and then you'll have problems with overlapping walls etc.

Compared to, say, LOD'ing your geometry shader, making models out of all your textures is the long and convoluted way to do it. It's also scalable - you can use a parallax shader for slower machines, and a tesselation shader for faster machines if you just make it a material.

Share this post


Link to post
Memfis said:

Why? How is this different from hires texture packs, 3d models for jDoom, etc? Or are these illegal too?


That's different. Those still require the original game to use. I'm talking about something that could happen to this project like this one.

Share this post


Link to post

I hope you have a lot of time on your hands this project will be an astronomical amount of work for one person to accomplish.

Share this post


Link to post
Impboy4 said:

That's different. Those still require the original game to use. I'm talking about something that could happen to this project like this one.

I see... Then how about a game that doesn't use Doom's resources but still requires doom2.wad to run (via hash check or something), would that work?

Share this post


Link to post
GooberMan said:

Nope. Because if you're making a Doom remake, you want to apply that material to arbitrary surfaces. And to do that, you're going to have to instance render each mesh instance if you want any reasonable performance out of it, and then you'll have problems with overlapping walls etc.

Compared to, say, LOD'ing your geometry shader, making models out of all your textures is the long and convoluted way to do it. It's also scalable - you can use a parallax shader for slower machines, and a tesselation shader for faster machines if you just make it a material.


I realy didnt think about the LOD thing, good point, i guess i will try more with the parallex/tesselation mathods, Thanks .

Share this post


Link to post
Sahkan said:

My doom remake project !
I did put it originaly on fan pics forum but this is more belong in here .

No it doesn't. It's not a Classic Doom mod. It's not even using any form of the various Doom engines. If anything it belongs where you first put it. Because it is a fan creation. Optionally, in the Everything else forum.

Share this post


Link to post
kristus said:

No it doesn't. It's not a Classic Doom mod. It's not even using any form of the various Doom engines. If anything it belongs where you first put it. Because it is a fan creation. Optionally, in the Everything else forum.


pics sais pics, this is not a pic, Everything else ? com'on this is a doom project,and duo to the fact anyone who want to create new thing for doom puts it in here, i think it fits here, The only different is that i dont use a current doom engine but starting my own thing .

Share this post


Link to post

Don't worry about him and keep up the good work. Too shame that some people can't appreciate your hard work and just complain.

Share this post


Link to post
Reinchard666 said:

Don't worry about him and keep up the good work. Too shame that some people can't appreciate your hard work and just complain.


I'm pretty sure they're just warning him that ID won't be too happy because a recreational Doom project had the plug pulled on it before. Maybe, if there was a way to import these into the Doom engine, it would be alright. There's already a special tag specifically for high resolution textures/sprites, maybe there can, in the future, be one for normal mapping. 3D models are already possible, afterall.

Share this post


Link to post
Memfis said:

I see... Then how about a game that doesn't use Doom's resources but still requires doom(2).wad to run (via hash check or something), would that work?

Yes that would, I think the closest match is Chex Quest.

EDIT: My bad, Harmony uses a standalone wad.

Share this post


Link to post

The new floor with a parralex shader instead a model .
http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/2707/newfloorprallex.jpg
so this is like 8 triangles vs 296~ triangles for each tile .
I baked the normal map and the height map from the model i made before, so in order for it to look good i guess i will have to model each texture .
Please comment and let me know what you think and feel free to give me new ideas, Thanks .

Share this post


Link to post

The model looks cool, though the movement is odd. Left a comment on your vid. Texture looks neat. If things look well, I can possibly help in remaking the music for you. Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
PRIMEVAL said:

The model looks cool, though the movement is odd. Left a comment on your vid. Texture looks neat. If things look well, I can possibly help in remaking the music for you. Good luck!


Could you realy help me with the music ? i would like to have a new doom 2 entryway version, Lemme know if there is somthing, Thanks !

Btw my computer's power supply decided that he is tired of this world so i will have to replace it via warrany i hope it dosnt take too long, i will try to keep making progress from an other computer, stay tuned .

Share this post


Link to post

Sorta old, been planning on redoing it, but this is an example of what I can do. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Sahkan said:

The new floor with a parralex shader instead a model .
http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/2707/newfloorprallex.jpg
so this is like 8 triangles vs 296~ triangles for each tile .
I baked the normal map and the height map from the model i made before, so in order for it to look good i guess i will have to model each texture .
Please comment and let me know what you think and feel free to give me new ideas, Thanks .


It is texture from my pack?
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/60299-reinchards-wip-textures-and-sprites-demo-available/12/

Share this post


Link to post

Good luck with this project! As for making it illegal to have monsters behave like the ones in Doom - I'm not sure id Software put a patent on monsters stupidly bumping into walls as they move towards the player, stopping occasionally to shoot. I'm fairly sure monsters were doing that in the Commodore 16 days. Unless Apple now own id and they're claiming to have invented something retroactively again.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now