I figured I'd give this a whirl, what the heck. I had notes for the first two maps typed up when the browser crashed and I lost them...
- Uninspiring start, big empty room with little in it.
- Monster placement isn't great either (for example, shotgunner will kill the zombie at the start simply because he's in the line of fire between the player and him).
- Water part seemed pointless, and weird - felt more like dropping into another room than being in water (no blue tint?) Also the oxygen timer seems really short, I was dying from being under too long before I could pick up all the items.
- Marine enemies have cyberdemon noises?
- Of the marine enemies, the zombie ones seem pointless, but the chainsaw ones are interesting.
- Really bad texture use in the computer room - textures don't match, aren't aligned properly, use of floor flats as walls, switch is nearly in the floor, etc. Examples here and here. Blargh.
- Wait, blue key symbols around something that isn't a blue door? That's a big no-no.
- Is that a pistol pickup at the start?
- Some decent little traps here, like the red key teleport line.
- So I found the beserk pack secret by looking at the automap and figuring "back of the switch is probably another switch" but not having a switch texture makes it kinda obscure. Also it only works once, which is really lame.
- The "imp phases in out of thin air" by the green armor was kinda cool. Is this just a Zdoom thing or something you came up with?
- Is that a door made of boxes, including half a box at the top? Yes, yes it is.
- This is a strange map. Lots of walls moving without good reason, a bit of a switch hunt, etc.
- The row of lamps puzzle took me awhile, mainly because I didn't expect something like that in Doom.
- Texturing is still really bad. Lots of the textures chosen are just ugly, or using walls for floors and vice-versa, and unaligning walls. Ugh.
- And then there's random bits of detail, usually in rooms with nothing else. Example here and here. Just kinda weird.
- Plasma gun marines definitely can catch you off guard.
Overall, the gameplay isn't bad - fairly light, and pretty easy to blast through, which is good. Map design feels very old school despite the ZDoom touches, with lots of abstract layouts, windows into other areas, the trap design, etc. The texturing is pretty dang awful - not only are most of the textures chosen ones I would call ugly, but there's also lots of alignment issues or choice issues. I'll probably keep playing since it's easy enough to get through, though. And I'm just curious to see how the whole thing ends up.
Is there a .deh file for adding map names?
EDIT: Okay, looking ahead, I just idclev'd to a bunch of random levels. This megawad is gonna get really weird really fast.
Last edited by Magnusblitz on Mar 1 2013 at 22:45