Basically, I got the idea to remake E1M1, but if it had appeared in Episode 3 instead of Episode 1. I got the idea after a friend of mine who only plays Doom a little accidentally mixed up some maps with the wrong episodes, and I began to wonder what it'd be like if they actually had appeared in that episode instead.
Now, this isn't just a simple texture change. First off, I rebuilt the map layout from scratch, so it isn't just the original map with some different textures. There's also some areas where I changed the geometry as well so it wouldn't be completely identical to the original. That isn't to say it's radically different, it's still pretty much the same layout, just with some changes here and there to help make it look a bit different. Second, and more importantly, I readjusted the enemies and items to better suit the episode and difficulty. As such, rather than Zombiemen, Shotgunners, and Imps, you get Imps, Demons, and Cacodemons!
* Not all of the maps currently have names.
* Maps still need to be completely bug tested.
How I do the map file naming: E(Original Episode Number)-(New Episode Number)MX (i.e. E3-1M1 would be Episode 3 converted to Episode 1)
New map slot/Original map
E1M1: E3M1 - Phobos Keep [Doomkid92]
E1M2: E4M2 - Perfect Plant [walter confalonieri]
E1M3: E3M3 - Toxin Lab [Jaws in Space] (Secret Exit)
E1M4: E4M4 - Unruly Control [Saliva]
E1M5: E2M5 - Command Lab [Fernito]
E1M6: E4M6 - Against Thee Processing [Death Egg/traversd]
E1M7: E3M7 - Limbo Station [gothic]
E1M8: E2M8 - Babel Anomaly [Scypek2]
E1M9: E2M9 - Military Fortress [Death Egg/traversd]
E2M1: E4M1 - Beneath Deimos [traversd]
E2M2: E1M2 - Nuclear Area [schwerpunk]
E2M3: E1M3 - [Icytux]
E2M4: E3M4 - Mainframe Grid [Magnusblitz]
E2M5: E4M5 - Nukage Spill [Jaws In Space] (Secret Exit)
E2M6: E3M6 - Center of the Damned Mountain [Jaws in Space]
E2M7: E4M7 - Hell Is Coming [scifista42]
E2M8: E3M8 - Tower of Dis [Death Egg]
E2M9: E3M9 - Deimos Keep [Capellan]
E3M1: E1M1 - The Baleful Fluids [Death Egg]
E3M2: E2M2 - Containment of Despair [C30N9]
E3M3: E4M3 - Phlegethon [Magnusblitz]
E3M4: E1M4 - [Flamen0d]
E3M5: E1M5 - [ShadesMaster]
E3M6: E1M6 - Mt. Central [gothic] (Secret Exit)
E3M7: E1M7 - New Limbo [scifista42]
E3M8: E4M8 - Abomination [Magnusblitz]
E3M9: E4M9 - Gaudy [Jaws In Space]
E4M1: E2M1 - They That Dwell Within [Megalyth]
E4M2: E3M2 - Their Torment Ascendeth [Magnusblitz] (Secret Exit)
E4M3: E2M3 - The Beast Factory [scifista42]
E4M4: E2M4 - Evil Lab [walter confalonieri]
E4M5: E3M5 - [Joseph Lord]
E4M6: E2M6 - And Death Shall Flee [Death Egg]
E4M7: E2M7 - And Vats Spawned [gothic]
E4M8: E1M8 - Cruel Anomaly [Memfis]
E4M9: E1M9 - Fear Base [EvilNed]
Rejects - Other map combinations:
E1M1: E4M1 - [traversd]
E4M5: E2M5 - [zinkai]
E4M8: E3M8 - [BloodyAcid]
* Maps should be tested using Chocolate Doom or Vanilla Doom. No ZDoom, Boom, MBF etc. specific features.
* Stock textures only.
* You have to remake the map from scratch, no just retexturing the original maps. This is mostly done to ensure an /idgames release.
* You are allowed to have leniency regarding how close it is to the original. While the basic layout should remain mostly the same, you're allowed to change entire rooms (likely smaller, less recognizable rooms) to help them fit the episode they'll be based on, or add/remove secrets.
* It's also recommended to redo monster placement completely so that it also fits the Episode that it'll be emulating. For example, an Episode 4 map would have to be made much easier for it to appear on any other Episode, and Cacodemons and Lost Souls would not appear in Episode 1.
* If a map is already taken, then, for the sake of every map getting its own makeover, I won't allow it to appear twice. (i.e. E1M5 being remade for both Episodes 2 and 4)
Last edited by Death Egg on Dec 12 2013 at 09:38