Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Death Egg

Switcheroom! Or, what if E1M1 was E3M1? (Release Candidate 3, aiming for whenever)

Also in revising a map to another episode (mostly in particular to anything going into E1) - I take it we should respect the limitations of that episode as well? ie: appropriate monster cast, no bfg/plasma in E1, no teleporters (usuable or traps) until much later in E1.

That's cool, as it will help give the map a bit more of a twist on the original if certain mechanisms are also modified slightly.

EDIT: and I see E4M1 listed above as migrating to E1M1 - so I'll see how the map plays without keys (not fussed with that slot, infact a small map like this is possibly better to use as a base for a no key map).

Oh man, I'm already almost done with a conversion of E3M1 into E1M1 (the exact opposite of the first map you submitted, Death Egg.) Is there still room for that?

Uh, hmmm, it'll depend on if traversd would be willing to move his map to Episode 2, since he just took the slot, and I want each episode to have all the maps in them match the episode. :/

EDIT: About 70% done with the layout of E2-4M6.

Community project? Nice!

I'll do E1M7 in the style of E3M7, with teleporters, for fun :)

EDIT: Yeah, now I imagine it. The blue armor secret in nukage as a pad-room a la Limbo :)

Doomkid92 said:

Well, give it a run through. Maybe mine could end up as Warrens instead?

I think I did a pretty good job of converting Hell Keep, though I feel it might have a little too much Hangar in it still.

I just finished a playthrough of it. I enjoyed it, and my only concerns were that, yeah, it did have a little too much Hangar in it at a few points, the difficulty was a bit too high for what would be E1M1, and Cacodemons don't appear in Episode 1. Otherwise, you captured the spirit of Knee-Deep in the Dead perfectly, and I had a blast playing through the map and seeing E3M1 in such a different light! It'd be a shame for it not to get in the project... Perhaps, as you said, it could get in as Warrens if it can't be E1M1. (I'd suggest moving it to E2M1 but that'd require quite a bit of modifying it from how it currently is.)

Death Egg said:

I just finished a playthrough of it. I enjoyed it, and my only concerns were that, yeah, it did have a little too much Hangar in it at a few points, the difficulty was a bit too high for what would be E1M1, and Cacodemons don't appear in Episode 1. Otherwise, you captured the spirit of Knee-Deep in the Dead perfectly, and I had a blast playing through the map and seeing E3M1 in such a different light! It'd be a shame for it not to get in the project... Perhaps, as you said, it could get in as Warrens if it can't be E1M1. (I'd suggest moving it to E2M1 but that'd require quite a bit of modifying it from how it currently is.)

I'm glad you enjoyed it, Death. I'll get to work making it a tad less hangar-y, and make the monsters more appropriate for and Episode 1 style map. This project is turning out pretty damn cool.

I'll make E4M1 in E1 style first and then modify that to E2. You can place wherever you feel works best.

Travers

I made E2M9 if it were E1M9 now, since it was easy enough... Well, sort of. I did have to take into account that I could only use certain monsters, and none of the ones in that map were in Episode 1, so I replaced the missing enemies with loads of smaller ones. As such, it may be a bit slaughter-y for peoples tastes.

EDIT: I just realized that this means Warrens will likely not be in Episode 1 then... Hmm... Maybe, instead of remaking Warrens completely, we use E1M1 as a base instead, and add the new areas onto that?

Did a runthrough of it, and it's amazing! Almost would convince people it was an original Episode 3 map instead of a converted one.

so, i've played to the level you guys made so far, great job everbody! I fell intrigued to contribute on this project....

oh shit! I can probably actually contribute to this! are there any slots available?

Check the first post for any blank spots. Also, be sure to check below the list of map slots to read the rules if you haven't already.

a question that pops out in mind: we can choose the slot we can want (like e4m2 in e1m2 style) or we have bind to the main episode path (like the levels from episode 1 comes mostly from episode 3 and vice-versa -expect the final and secret stage from another episode-)

@ASD Heh, those music tracks amused me.

@walter Yeah, you can choose whichever slot you want unless the slot is in italics. Also, you have to make sure the map you're doing hasn't already been chosen, so both the Episode it's going to hasn't been taken and the map itself hasn't already been chosen on another episode.

On a side note, I need opinions on what I should do regarding Warrens. Since I can't find out how to add a poll, just put one of these letters in your post instead and I'll count it up.

A) Move E2M9 off of E1M9 to another map and change it accordingly, (Likely E4M9) make Warrens based off of the the E1-ified E3M1.

B) Keep E2M9 where it is, keep Warrens on E3M9 but make it an extended version of Episode 3's version of E1M1 instead.

C) Put Warrens on another episode completely, so that it can be remade in that episodes style instead, thus giving Warrens two different visions in the WAD.

ok... i think to do e4m2 in e1 style...

for warrens i think can send to a brand new episode is a good idea...

ASD said:

While playing these maps, the inverted Doom music popped up to my mind.

Eugh..... E1M1 doesn't sound inverted, it just sounds like anal leakage... I'm so sure that the music in reverse would even sound better than this. God, that 'harmonising' guitar is destorying my eardrums!

Anyway, more to the point. I have a question Death Egg: Since my map is [possibly] going to end up as Warrens, should I keep an E3 level of monsters, or still keep it restricted to the e1 monsters? I think doing what Warrens did to Hell Keep, is what I should do the the E1-ified version, extending it beyond what it already is. But I'm open to whatever you guys see fit!

Doomkid92 said:

Anyway, more to the point. I have a question Death Egg: Since my map is [possibly] going to end up as Warrens, should I keep an E3 level of monsters, or still keep it restricted to the e1 monsters?

I guess you should keep it where it is right now, since I'm still not 100% sure where it will go, though I'm thinking it'll PROBABLY be E1M1... I suppose it depends on what I think of traversd's E1M1 and E2M1 map.

I want to make E3M7 to look like E1M7, but scifista42 already requested to make E1M7 look like E3M7, will that be a problem?

Flamen0d said:

I'd like to try making E1M4 and make it like E3M4.

So sorry, either I wasn't clear or I'm not understanding the way the assigned levels are. Where my name is now, does it say I'm remaking E3M4 to look like E1M4, or does it mean the opposite?