Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Death Egg

Switcheroom! Or, what if E1M1 was E3M1? (Release Candidate 3, aiming for whenever)

@Deathegg: Well the difficulty of "I'm too young to die" is waaaaaaay too easy for anyone who uses a mouse to play Doom.

I remember playing Doom with just a keyboard and then the Ultra Violence difficulty was quite a challenge. If I play episode 1 again on Ultra Violence with any port that allows aiming with a mouse it doesn't feel like the challenge it used to be.

Well, as long as you don't go too overboard, I suppose adding a few extra monsters would be fine.. but you still have to keep in mind the map you're doing is only the fourth map, so it would still have to be fairly easy.

I won't go too far but if you play the original E1M4 on ITYTD the map is almost deserted.

I'm not aiming for a hardcore player only difficulty but I'd like to keep the player busy.

Anyway, I'll go ahead and add monsters and will upload the map as soon as it's done. I can always adjust it should it be too hard.

Progress on my E4-2M7:
[big image]
My map is the structure on the left. On the right there is original E4M7, for comparison.
Mapping for E2 is interesting. The style isn't so specific as it is in E1, E3 or E4. So I define it as The Default and just use textures and design choices that aren't characteristic for any other episode. You'll see the result soon.

Here's E2M6 on E4M6.

While I'm at it, I did a very slight update to E1-3M1, which you can download in the OP. Nothing noticeable, just made things a little less cramped again.

EDIT: Noticed a minor ceiling tiling error which will be fixed next revision.

EDIT2: Now I feel stupid, accidentally replaced E1M1's link instead of E3M1's. Corrected now.

Hmm, think I might try doing E3M6 as if it was in E2 (replacing E2M6's slot). Not entirely sure why that one, but Erebus is cool so mucking about with it ought to be an interesting challenge.

@Flamen0d: What I said on the previous page still applies. But overall good map :)

@Death Egg: Wow, pretty good! Was actually tickled by what I've encountered in the fake exit. I also admire how you transformed height variation to match E4 style, and the loads of monsters everywhere!!!

@Saliva: Pretty good too! Took me a while to figure out the secrets. To be honest, I don't know original E4 maps well, but I've played E4M4 for comparison and hey, I like what you did there!

@traversd: Nice layout adaptation and no tiresome teleporting sergeants, what more would I look for? Great for a first map.

Wow, this project is truly in move! Really looking forward for the resulting megawad. Keep up the good work everyone!

My rendition of the Red Key room in E1M2 in E2M2-style:

Right now I'm wondering where to put the Plasma Gun, as it appeared in E2M2. Also, I guess it wouldn't be in keeping with E2M2 or E1M2 to make those fleshy panels into ambush closets, huh?

@icytux: Looks nice! Very clean design.

@schwerpunk: Also looking good. I believe you weren't allowed to add the plasma rifle in E1 though.

Thanks ^^

Saliva said:

@schwerpunk: Also looking good. I believe you weren't allowed to add the plasma rifle in E1 though.

Shouldn't be an issue considering that IS E2...

schwerpunk said:

Right now I'm wondering where to put the Plasma Gun, as it appeared in E2M2.

Chainsaw secret.

I cannot wait to play the hell out of this!

Anyone have an estimate on how many sundays we probably have to go?

I really hope it doesn't get rejected.

@walter: Nice level, though it hardly resemble Perfect Hatred, but after looking on the automap you recognize it. Plays well and definitely is E1 styled. I have just one thing to complain and then one nitpick. First, the pushable wall shouldn't be obligatory. And the nitpick is really nothing important, just - don't you think there's too many monsters for E1M2?

@Flamen0d: Very nice map, though there were a few bugs I should mention that I came across:

http://i.imgur.com/VBBMx6U.png
http://i.imgur.com/9xGkIGc.png
http://i.imgur.com/OefsSJi.png

I found a few instances of the tutti-frutti effect while running through with Chocolate Doom. More importantly:

http://i.imgur.com/MQYM7tF.png

The bars here were not impassible, and while trying to fight the Cacodemon I ended up falling into the lava and making an easy get away.

@Saliva: Very good conversion of E4M4!
@walter: Likewise, a very good conversion of E4M2! However, I think it was quite a bit tight on ammo for E1M2, and the first room could maybe be lightened up one notch.
@levir: I still don't have a definite date on when maps should be finished, but considering how fast this is getting maps taken and completed, I wouldn't be surprised if it only took another three months for a complete set of maps, followed by another month or two of vigorous bug testing. Maybe we could make it in time for Doom's 20th after all?

Icytux: that's a nice level, rather clever "remix" of these two maps IMO. I noticed one problem though: the ammo is very low, especially if you don't go to the right at the start, thus missing the shotgun. But even after I got it I still had to use the fist a lot. I missed all secrets though so maybe that was my fault. Anyways, here is a FDA.

scifista42 said:

@Flamen0d: What I said on the previous page still applies. But overall good map :)

What do you mean when you say that. The amount of enemies or making the enemies deaf. I think the amount of enemies represents the amount originally found on E1M4 on ultra-violence. So I really don't want to take out too many more enemies from the map.

@Death Egg I fixed the passable fence, but I'm such a noob at this. Idk how to fix tutti fruity. Do I just change the textures?

scifista42 said:

@walter: Nice level, though it hardly resemble Perfect Hatred, but after looking on the automap you recognize it. Plays well and definitely is E1 styled. I have just one thing to complain and then one nitpick. First, the pushable wall shouldn't be obligatory. And the nitpick is really nothing important, just - don't you think there's too many monsters for E1M2?

eh, i known it doesn't looks so perfectly similar to both designed slots, but if you said it's ok i leave it as is. Anyway about the wrong stuff:

mmm... just trying to emulate the monster usage of original map with the e1 monster usage, but yep i think to get rid of lots of them, and even fixing some other stuff you and death egg noticed here....

Also, tight of ammo? Are you serious? There's much ammo to finish episode 1 lol

Memfis and Icytux: I'll give feedback to both of you, but before that I must tell you that I laugh how everybody is interpreting the rules differently. One thinks that we're just retexturing and making very minor changes and keeping the gameplay and secrets and difficulty as it is, another thinks we're making mixtures of two maps that contain layouts from both, another believes that we just need to immitate the general E# style and not the style of the particular map, another drastically change the gameplay and preserves only the basic layout, another does the exact opposite of that, and when we all think everything is clear, Memfis comes with his self-specific brutal map and custom music. Please don't offend. I'm not saying different interpretations are bad, in fact I'm glad for it, since it brings variety and fun. Therefore playing all these maps in this project is fun and I like the project more and more.

Memfis: Oooh shit :P looked extremely painful without the secrets there, yeah i'll pull some stuff out from the secrets and add some ammo here and there. There are plenty of secrets and they're filled with goodies, they are at the same place they would be in the ordinary maps but with some alternative ways to get to them.

[edit]the link is updated with some slight edits

@Memfis: Man, that was one hell of a hard map. Don't get me wrong though, it makes a perfect finale. Also, playing through on Chocolate Doom didn't seem to reveal any errors that I could see.

@Icytux: I liked the map, noticed one tutti frutti effect here.

@Flamen0d: Well first, here's the Doom Wiki article on how the tutti frutti effect happens. All of these are likely the cause of the textures being too short, so you'll either have to replace them with taller textures or change the height of the floor to hide the issue.

Also, I'm kinda torn on which of the two E1M1 replacements I'm going to use, since both submissios are very good. I'm starting to think, though, that Doomkid92's might actually be better suited as E2M1. (After retexturing it to fit the episode anyways) Plus then it'd be on the same episode as Warrens, too. Doomkid92, would you mind if it was moved there? And, if possible, either you do Warrens too or let someone else modify your map to fit as Warrens?