Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Death Egg

Switcheroom! Or, what if E1M1 was E3M1? (Release Candidate 3, aiming for whenever)

Going slowly but surely...

Screenshot from E3M4-as-E2M4: http://imgur.com/a/nHivY
(new map on top, original on bottom for comparison).

I originally was playing around with dropping the slime a big distance like the room in E2M4 that inspired the texturing here, but it changed the dynamic of the room too much, so it's basically the same as the original E3M4 except for straightening out the angles of the room to make it feel more like an E2 map.

Overall, I think I'm going to end up putting a few E2M4 touches into the map (such as opening up the staircase/hallway at the start, which in E3M4 is boring, cramped and empty until the room with the outdoor crushers) but otherwise try to stick pretty close to the layout.

just updated my map. It now has death match, co op, difficulty settings, and hopefully I fixed the tutti frutti. http://www.mediafire.com/?5v2dvy3kyb7ry2e

@scifista24 At the start of the level I really can't see taking out more enemies without taking away not only the feeling of map e1m4 but also E3. You can easily grab a shotgun from outside and run back in if you didn't get it from the secret already, and the hitscanners aren't that bad.

Can I try my hand at an E3M8/E4M8 swap? Should be simple enough with a mastermind battle.

Damn, all the screenshots look amazing! But I don't want to play any of them maps until the project is finished, I don't want to spoil the fun :P

By the way, E1-2M5's layout is 90% done. Then I have to add monsters, items, and stuff.

PS: I noticed that when I started to align the textures, the map kind of lost the original Doom levels' style. Because of this, I intentionally left several misaligned textures. I also tried to keep the texturing very simple (and even monotone at some times) for the same reason.

@gothic: Nice work again, you seem to be talented for balancing gameplay. I survived the Cyberdemon battle in that cramped room without invulnerability, which is a prove that you set it up very well, since I'm quite clumsy player :). Visuals are also very nice. And I must mention, the E4 sky in the darkness looks amazing!

@Jaws In Space: I agree with Death Egg, the mirroring is a great idea and I like how you transformed the chaotic hellish environment to a good-looking techbase, particularly the skinny maze to a computer shaft. This corridor twisted my mind to think it's flat and the side paths are sloped up, I know a place in real life that has similar effect on me :). Good job!
EDIT: I forgot to mention, it may be better to decrease the damage of nukage to 2-5% HP, now it does the same damage as lava.

@Fernito: I do the same in my maps, and I justify it for myself with the same argument, but - only in my case, I believe not in yours - the true reason is that I'm lazy :D

@Archi: Thank you for feedback on my map, honestly I think the first screenshot you praised is one of the ugliest parts of my map and the last one you criticized is from the best parts. And also, now I don't want to sound like someone who cannot admit his fault (I mean it just a little seriously), but IMO some level of ugliness simply belongs to E2 :)

as my last contribution, I'd like to take the E1-3M6 slot, also thanks scifista for your support

fixed lights and removed big part of the monsters, changed big parts of the the pushable walls to make them more recognizable:

http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/files/get/NkehXzgiWE/e1-4m2-b.zip

since there's not so much problem with my not so e1m2-ish layout of this map i leave it as it was. As usual, if there's something to chane, i'll change it.

scifista42 said:

@Fernito: I do the same in my maps, and I justify it for myself with the same argument, but - only in my case, I believe not in yours - the true reason is that I'm lazy :D

hahaha that made me laugh! **

By the way, finished the layout of E1-2M5. Now, the part I hate the most: monster and item placement :P

PS: BTW, am I saying it right? I thought I was, but now I'm confused. The correct name for my map would be E1-2M5 or E2-1M5?

@Fernito: E2-1M5 should be right, though I have to say that this rule is set up quite confusingly.
BUT!
The screenshot is awesome! Honestly I don't like E2M5, but I can't wait to play your map ;)

@Death Egg: Good map, though I feel it's a bit weaker than your previous maps for this project, but good anyway. I assume it's still work in progress, since the secrets aren't given the appropriate special (and also there are shells like for three players). You know, there are just a few things that spoils the map, like the fast lifts "sunken" into the wall they're in, strange angles, the blue door border and the metal ledge nearby look strange, these things don't add to the style of E1. I know, this is not so important, but if you actually continue working on this map, I would advise you to change the things I've mentioned. In other aspects we have another nice techbase which plays quite well, definitely better than E4M6 (for me).

On a side note:

Do you recognize this area?

And...

Spoiler

Who do you think will occupy Cacodemon's place in this cage?

Spoiler

Barons not

Thanks for your compliments scifista! I hope I can finish the map today after work.

As for your screenshots, I recognized immediately the starting point of E2M3 in your 2nd shot, even not knowing that you were remaking that map :P But I'm still a little bit clueless about the 1st screenshot... is it the room with the shotgun on a pedestal in the original level?

Now, about the spoiler... you're not thinking about putting THAT in the cage, are you? :O

Fernito: E2-1M1 in your case would be correct.

scifista42: Oh, whoops, thought I'd labelled those tags already. And I'll change the map accordingly.

Also, I recognize both those areas. :) (Though the first one took a bit)

i've just got in mind to do another slot (most probably e2m4 in e4m4 style), but this i'll be much more tangled to the slot choice... hower great job to all you guys!

E3M3 in E1 style reminds a lot of the alpha version of that map in doom, but also the other maps looks really great, this will be a very cool megwad when it's finished!

Quick question, how are you all recreating these maps, I know we have to build them from scratch. Are u having original in the editor while also creating new version say next to it for reference or just jumpin into game and running around? Or is it all from memory?

I know I said I'll join in but I have a lot of projects and work on my plate at the moment. If a slots free in about a months time (possibly less) then I may join (if that's okay). Everybody's maps look amazing so far! Keep up the good work.

@zinkai: I'll speak by myself: I have the original map I'm recreating (AND also the map in the mapslot I'm replacing) opened in an editor (separate window). I often look at the map, sometimes measure exact lengths, spend a lot of time flying through it in Doom Builder 2 Visual Mode and just speak to myself: "Hmmmm..." But I never copy and paste anything.

I hate to do this but I have a visitor for 3-4 days it is undecided which. If I sat around making a doom level it would suck for them, therefore e4m3 in e3m3 style is up for grabs if anyone wants it. I'll return to it after reading the forums to see if anyone took it but that'll be in half a week, and I don't want the finished wad to wait on my level.

All I've done so far is retexture the original as a model to recreate but if anyone has been left out and wants a level I'll give it up.

I've never mapped for Vanilla before, and similarly, have no knowledge about seg limits and other restrictions. Hopefully this map works.

My goal was to redesign E3M8 in the fashion of E4M8. I used the FLOOR7_1 as the basis for the spider mastermind fight, with the blood river. I had the marble columns and random water section added to the beginning. Oh, and I have multitudes of SUPPORT stairs.

http://i.imgur.com/cnxdBv6.png
http://i.imgur.com/ZZ6mNRZ.png

http://www.mediafire.com/?opta7zntvhp8dfi

Well I kinda copyed both maps into one so I don't have to switch between editors so. I can quickly fly through either for reference. Thanks for the hasty reply

zinkai said:
Quick question, how are you all recreating these maps, I know we have to build them from scratch. Are u having original in the editor while also creating new version say next to it for reference or just jumpin into game and running around? Or is it all from memory?

I grabbed the e3m1 and e3m9 map images from the doom wiki, printed them, and made a few handwritten notes. I expect to use those print outs for 95% of the work.

BloodyAcid said:

I've never mapped for Vanilla before, and similarly, have no knowledge about seg limits and other restrictions. Hopefully this map works.

My goal was to redesign E3M8 in the fashion of E4M8. I used the FLOOR7_1 as the basis for the spider mastermind fight, with the blood river. I had the marble columns and random water section added to the beginning. Oh, and I have multitudes of SUPPORT stairs.

Actually, the map that you took was supposed to be E4M8 in the fashion of E3M8... Though it was a good map. (And it works in Chocolate Doom, too, by the way) I don't know if I should put it in though since it isn't actually E4M8 on E3M8... Maybe add a bit more of E4M8 onto that map if possible?

Updated E4-1M6.

Death Egg said:

Actually, the map that you took was supposed to be E4M8 in the fashion of E3M8... Though it was a good map. (And it works in Chocolate Doom, too, by the way) I don't know if I should put it in though since it isn't actually E4M8 on E3M8... Maybe add a bit more of E4M8 onto that map if possible?

Updated E4-1M6.

Ahhhh, shit. I tried to keep the E3M8 layout (aka, 2 rooms connected by a hallway) while not imposing too many E4M8 details. I wanted to add fences and maybe some height/liquid drops, but I'm not sure exactly how much I can alter the spider mastermind arena by.