Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

Plutonia MIDI Pack project (/idgames link available)

yakfak said:

You can certainly use this for the Bunker! one thing - I'm having trouble with the MUS form, in dosbox Adlib mode, getting the tune to loop cleanly. Right now it's leaving a big pause. Any experience with smoothing that gap? thanks

You probably shouldn't worry about turning it into a MUS. As long as the MIDI plays back in vanilla in DOSBox, it's all fine and you can keep it as a MIDI.

I have a fun song in need of an organ solo, if anyone's interested. I don't have a single blues/rock cell in my body.

http://speedy.sh/XJSpT/plusfort.mid

Title: "Plus Fort"
Length: 1:48
Size: 14.5 KB

EDIT: Well, this might do. I yanked a solo from another song I did. The link has been updated.

If anyone wants to help me write MAP02, I'd appreciate the help. I'm stuck on how to finish it.

I'd like to take a stab at a song, although I'm not sure who has already done what map. I might write a song for a random map, hoping someone hasn't already called dibs.

For a reference on my style, here's something I've already done.
http://snd.sc/WEMnFs

just a question, but i've noticed that my MIDIs that are up in the archive aren't the latest versions. forgot to update them?

Oh whoops, I've gotten a tad behind. It's been a fairly hectic week.

Doomhuntress: I thought I'd kept them up to date. I've gone back and redownloaded the last MIDIs you uploaded, then reuploaded. Hopefully they're up-to-date, now. :)

Bucket/Freeze: Really like what you did there with Freeze's track. Nice work, both of ya. :D Also Plusfort is really catchy - blues/rocky as hell and very Princey. Great job with that. :D

ClumsyDoomer: Certainly not a bad start with Claustrophobia, but there's an awful lot of clashing in the melodies. The bassline is in B while the strings and various other instruments are in C. It kinda needs a bit of a rework, in my opinion. Endless Suffer, meanwhile, has shaped up very nicely. Good stuff. :D

Ribbiks: Nice one. :P Is this for MAP27? How finished are you with it?

Lippeth: Check the first post for the slots and who's claimed what map. Interesting MIDI you have there. You've got a great handle on melody, certainly. The strange time signatures kept throwing me off, though. :P If you could compose something in that vein though maybe not quite as "progressive", it'd definitely be included. :)

Hellish Godzilla: Whoops, just remembered you wanted to claim MAP05. First post updated. :P Nihility is okay so far. Feels like it needs something extra, though. Those key changes you're doing in the style of Prince's typical twelve-bar-blues thing at the beginning are a bit strange - the melody only goes up one semitone, then back down one, then up two, down one, down one. If Prince is what you're going for with that, then it's initial key -> up five semitones -> down five -> up seven -> down two -> down five.

---

Here's something new to add to the "unassigned" pool for now. It's pretty much this but Doomified.

Run 'Em, Gun 'Em, Kill 'Em (3:50)

Certainly, I shall work at my map04 track, but today I had some inspriration and got awesome idea for map28 track (can't use PC atm, only next week). May I take one more place in the table? :)

Jimmy91 said:

Lippeth: Check the first post for the slots and who's claimed what map. Interesting MIDI you have there. You've got a great handle on melody, certainly. The strange time signatures kept throwing me off, though. :P If you could compose something in that vein though maybe not quite as "progressive", it'd definitely be included. :)

Sweet. That particular song is in 11/8 with a half swing, so I'll be sure to stick with 4/4 for this project.

Jimmy91 said:

Hellish Godzilla: Whoops, just remembered you wanted to claim MAP05. First post updated. :P Nihility is okay so far. Feels like it needs something extra, though. Those key changes you're doing in the style of Prince's typical twelve-bar-blues thing at the beginning are a bit strange - the melody only goes up one semitone, then back down one, then up two, down one, down one. If Prince is what you're going for with that, then it's initial key -> up five semitones -> down five -> up seven -> down two -> down five.

I'll see what I can do to liven it up. Admittedly, I'm not quite sure what I want to do with the key changes. I was definitely pointing towards Bobby Prince, but I'm not sure I want to imitate him exactly. If it would sound better to do so, I'll wring the changes.

Lippeth said:

I'll be sure to stick with 4/4 for this project.

I suppose it's Jimmy's call, but I don't see why other time signatures shouldn't be permitted - so long as they're consistent and/or well established throughout, and so long as they work for the map the music's assigned to.

4/4 and 3/4 are recommended since they're used in the majority of tracks. But of course, Doom2 MAP23 features a 7/8 groove, and TNT MAP10's track used 15/4, so there's that. :P

best odd time sig usage imo is when they aren't distractingly odd, my approach is to just throw 4/4 on top of everything regardless of what the rhythm is actually in :p

Jimmy91 said:

Ribbiks: Nice one. :P Is this for MAP27? How finished are you with it?

Yah. It turned out a bit slower and groovier than I imagined, possibly compromising how well it fits the map, but I'm done messing with it.

yes, the songs seems to be the latest versions now. hopefully the tempos didn't screw themselves up again.

really trying at times to get something done for 24 or 25 here, but i just can't get anything going. :c i hate having these phases all over again.

Doomhuntress: If they are, no worries, I know the proper tempos so they'll be corrected. :) *does that now*

Won't put a claim in for you for 24 or 25 just yet. Let me know when you get something.

Lippeth: Done. :)

Sounds great, a perfect track for MAP02 in my eyes. :D Added to the archive and name updated on first post.

Much to my surprise, I seem to at least be in the home stretch for Map05.

http://www.mediafire.com/?eepebzrjbsx10t3
Sepulchral
1:08
12.4 kb

And although I didn't care to translate the whole song to MIDI, the main riff comes from Sepultura's "Ratamahatta":

EDIT: Also, I've been working on another track that I think should work for Map25, if you'll save that spot for me.

Here's what I've got so far. I'm a total noob with general midi, and when playing it back in windows media player, the notes sound choppy, but in game it sounds as intended. I also can't figure out how to save the reverb, chorus and panning, but this thread isn't midi lessons, so I'll figure it out. I'm such a...midiot. Maybe someone can take a look at it regardless and clean it up, add a longer intro, or do anything to make it better in general. I plan to add a slow break at the end that loops into the beginning, but it loops just fine for now.

Massacre Machine

I think I've solved all my problems. There are tiny spaces between most notes that I need to manually snap into place, this is going to take a while. If my stuff ends up not being a part of this project, no worries, I'll understand. :)

Jimmy91 said:

[MAP12] is a wooden fortress full of blood

Hence the title: Blood Rush (03:23)

This is the first version of the MIDI. Thanks for your first feedback Jimmy. I've brought the tempo down from 220 to 210, and added an outro section after where it left off. Also fixed the drum timing after second 'chorus' and changed intro to fit the loop.

Hopefully the changes I need to make in future won't be too major.

This song is influenced by / takes elements from:

Sonic Mayhem - Quad Machine
DragonForce - Heart of the Storm
DragonForce - Valley of the Damned
DragonForce - Once in a Lifetime

Hellish Godzilla: Nice start to the track, that's definitely sounding Princey. :) At the moment the music box is kind of a bit out of key, plus the drumbeat is a little erratic so it could probably be made a bit simpler - maybe lower the velocity of the tribal percussion just a bit. I'd also be tempted to reduce the panning on the guitar/lead, so it's 32 and 96 instead of 0 and 127.

MAP25 is all yours. Btw, I just read back over the thread and realized that you wanted to claim the intermission track ages ago, and I spectacularly overlooked your request... just want to apologize for that. :( Do let me know if you ever want to take another crack at the MIDI you were writing for it, I kinda feel like my negligence is why you ran out of inspiration with it. :S

Lippeth: Love it. :D I don't see any problems with it at the moment, but if you want to patch it up at all, that's fine. It's definitely a great fit for MAP17. Awesome work. ;)

Also, heh... "midiot".

Eris Falling: Great work with yours, as I said. :D I was going to suggest 190 for the tempo, honestly. The track felt catchier that way, but maybe 200 (or just 210, as it is now) will work just fine. Consider it MAP12's track. :)

Heh, if you want catchy, try 130 ;)
Seriously though, thanks :P I listened to it at 190 and like 200 it was bordering on too slow. The original of 220 was yet another DragonForce reference, as their fastest song (Fallen World) is that tempo. In fact the bass solo in the original middle section, which was at the end of the WIP version was lifted straight from the middle section of that song.
I think I was originally considering 230, but that was going slightly over the top. 210 is fine IMO, although if others feel it could be slightly slower I'll have no objection to it being brought down a bit further.

Eris, I put your jam into my DAW and tried a few tempos, and find that 194 is the most optimal IMO. This could just be me, but the slower parts have way more impact this way, and the faster parts don't sound so rushed. I know that was your intention (hence the name), but compared to so many slower groovy jams in this project, 194 feels most consistent with the other songs.