Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

does everything go to /idgames eventually?

It would be unfortunate if a lot of the wads posted here linked on mediafire, etc don't end up getting uploaded to idgames. Do most wads end up there? There are a lot of great maps such as all of doom 2 in the one map, that I've only seen linked to mediafire on here.

EDIT: Kind of off-topic, but I'm finding that it takes less time to download a wad from /idgames than it does to find in my idgames ftp mirror on my hard drive.

invictius said:

Do most wads end up there? There are a lot of great maps such as all of doom 2 in the one map, that I've only seen linked to mediafire on here.

Copyright restrictions bar some wads, Slige/Oblige/Obhack maps are also unwelcome and re-worked IWAD maps tend to be rejected, though there are some exceptions. Unfinished wads also tend to be given the flick.

Besides Memorial, can someone recommend some other re-worked IWAD maps? I would be interested in trying out some.

I know a lot of Skulltag modders would refuse to upload their work to /newstuff for reasons and would opt to host with shoddy temp hosts like mediafire. And a lot of those projects are probably history. Some would also opt to use the filehost supplied by Metalhead. But that has gone down since a long time back too afaik.

I find Punisher interesting. It's made by Dario Casali, one of the brothers that made the maps in Plutonia. It seems like it's probably a prototype version of Go 2 It. I noticed that the Casali brothers made some maps in the idgames archive before Plutonia. Butcher seem to be a prototype version of Abbatoire. This was all news to me. Could it be that more old maps released on the Internet ended up, perhaps in modified forms, in any of the official commercial IWAD:s or PWAD compilations that was released?

A couple of questions about dminator2:
What's the difference between cr and mt? And what levels are MAP21 and 32 to based on?

http://www.doomworld.com/sda/dminator.htm

Just different versions of the wad. cr and mt are the initials of the player who recorded demos on that particular version (added at DSDA totell them apart). About the "cr" version, Ryback wrote in his demo text-file:

When I learnt about the updated Doom2 version of Doominator on Usenet I just had to play the levels. After doing this demoset I like this incarnation of the wad even more. More enemies, more ammo, it's harder and more insane. Just note Rob's crafty use of Archviles :)

Okay, I still can't say I recognize what IWAD maps MAP20, 21 and 32 are based on. The other maps are obviously Doom E1.