Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TMD

MAYhem 2013? More like MARCHem 2014. 3.9.14 realease?!?

If no one ends up doing 'em, I can: I did all 64 for the 100Lines project. That's some major zen right there. :P

^ Sure, that'd be great.

MAP04: Something is wrong with this midi because the music is quieter than a mouse’s fart. Also having the lift be activated by shooting is kinda counter-intuitive as the switch is above the player (I spacebar’d the hell out of it at first). The rest of the map is fine—the strongest thing it has going for it is atmosphere, considering the nice size, look and scope of the orange city. The big parking lot fight seems dangerous at first but can be easily handled with patience and the RL. I was surprised it ended where it did… might need an exit sign before that point to at least forewarn the player.

MAP05: This door wouldn’t open on my PrBoom 2.02 on my mac. I switched over to Zdoom and went through the map—it’s fine without the ghost monsters. The only problem is that it’s uh, really easy and quick to get through, which is a shame since it has such a neat look and gloomy atmosphere. Also, are the three switches really needed at the start?

MAP06: Pretty unsalvageable map IMO. It’s practically meant to be played pacifist and everything can and should be skipped in order to save you time. Health and ammo is a plague upon the land and there’s not really any threat of dying. BFG is at least nice for the potential cleanup.

dobugabumaru said:

MAP01[/b]: This is a neat little starter map, beginning our strange journey nicely with a realistic base saturated with zombiemen. No problems here on UV in my experience… it’s not particularly a map suited to my taste but I appreciate the detail and the “puzzle” of the final battle (although looping back around the whole complex to open the door up to get in there again is a tad annoying). A good map.

Thanks for the review. I freely admit that the layout with the "red light" door was poorly planned; I wanted to add a bit of interconnectivity but did so without planning the map out in advance. I ended up doing most of the mapping on a laptop while on a business trip on the last day of May so it got a bit rushed. This was my first real experience trying for "realistic" details like the wires and various objects on the lab tables. So, glad you liked it overall.

MAP07: This crashes my PrBoom since I get an error that "there are no subsectors" :/ Played it on Zdoom instead. It’s an alright, kinda goofy level since there’s such an extraordinary number of sergeants. It can be a bit plodding if you take play very cautiously and camp a corner, but I’m hard pressed to know if there’s another way to go about it since being out in the open for the first five minutes is almost certain doom. I kinda wish there was a rocket launcher for the arachs in the center pedestals, but at least the walkways can be lowered down for some face-to-face SSGing.

MAP08: Someone should go in and just replace the STARTAN texture with something else, as it’s not the most attractive. The map was fine and quite fun until after the area where you’re lowering down the walls one by one—the chaingunners that come out proceeded to repeatedly drain me of all my health no matter what I did. To make matters worse, there’s a checkpoint of them afterwards which would’ve made it completely impossible with my 17% health. I think there needs to at least be a soulsphere before that section. Rest of the level is fine, although I’m sure there’s supposed to be a crusher or something at the end once you activate the pinkey conveyer belt.

MAP09: Blew myself up like 100 times. Only thing I need to add is a tiny room past the exit where you can pick up full health, since this can really screw over anyone trying to play continuously.

MAP10: Unapologetic map. I beat it, but it was definitely not to my tastes. Only thing I think it needs is something like a soulsphere at the start, and some medikits at the end for continuous players otherwise. At least it gets easier as it goes on. I really like the look of it from the start too.

MAP11: Need to fix my skybox problem since it uses the white sky instead of the blue. Otherwise I think I got that mess of HOMs in the final room fixed.

Overall we have a very hit or miss set that is certainly more gimmicky than I thought it would be. Joe-ilya probably has the most "normal" map.

dobugabumaru said:

MAP06[/b]: Pretty unsalvageable map IMO. It’s practically meant to be played pacifist and everything can and should be skipped in order to save you time. Health and ammo is a plague upon the land and there’s not really any threat of dying. BFG is at least nice for the potential cleanup.

Ah ah, my bad...

dobugabumaru said:

If you guys need an alternate download link, here you go. I figure because it's pretty niche as long as there are no bugs it'll probably be ready to get published soon (as far as I can tell).

i want to point out that obsidian's eternity's hatred still has the teleporter bug i mentioned 2 pages ago. happens both in zdoom and glboom+, probably in other ports as well.

dobugabumaru said:

MAP04[/b]: Something is wrong with this midi because the music is quieter than a mouse’s fart. Also having the lift be activated by shooting is kinda counter-intuitive as the switch is above the player (I spacebar’d the hell out of it at first). The rest of the map is fine—the strongest thing it has going for it is atmosphere, considering the nice size, look and scope of the orange city. The big parking lot fight seems dangerous at first but can be easily handled with patience and the RL. I was surprised it ended where it did… might need an exit sign before that point to at least forewarn the player.

I asked for making the MIDI louder if someone could...there weren't any answers.

Glad you enjoyed the atmosphere, it was my aim! I planned a lot more complex map but had no time to finish finally. That's the reason of the odd exit.

However, to be honest, I really don't want to edit the map and upload again. I've not mapped for months, and I don't even want to yet.

AtTheGates said:

i want to point out that obsidian's eternity's hatred still has the teleporter bug i mentioned 2 pages ago. happens both in zdoom and glboom+, probably in other ports as well.

I'm still fixing a bunch of things. Turns out I'm surprisingly inept. :P I'll put up a new link soon.

I COME BEARING GIFTS!

Here's the final version of Eternity's Hatred with some tweaks to some of the ghost sections and here's a wad file with all the CWILV## graphics and a DeHackEd patch! Hopefully this should help.

Looks good. I'll plan to have it up on idgames before Halloween.

Speak now* or forever hold your peace.

*within the next week.

There's still the ghost monster thing that gets disabled in ZDoom: I think the maps that do have ghost monsters are somehow hardcoded into ZDoom itself and not just a MAPINFO option, so I'm not quite sure what to do on that front. :/

Might as well release it since I think everyone here has been finished with these things for a while. Just include the known bugs and let the two star reviews roll in :D

Oh well fine let me quickly slap some textures into The Demon Rush and we can call it a day. Also I'm gonna add in two medipacks to the end of the lowering wall section based on dobu gabu maru's feedback. I'll try to post the texture version within an hour from now.

There totally is a crusher right at the end, did it not trigger for you? You have to hit the switch.

P.S. The music for the map is supposed to be D_AMPIE. I think it's much more suitable for the sheer wackiness of the level. If you could change it that would be great, thanks!

dobu gabu maru said:

The switch only triggered the conveyer belt in Zdoom IIRC.

Weird. I looked at the map and it's actually triggered by a linedef which it's technically possible to miss so I moved it elsewhere. The crusher should start as you enter the room. I've only tested in PrBoom+ on complevel 9 but it all works and the level is UVmax-able.

Anyway that took a bit more than an hour but it's finally here, The Demon Rush v2, this time with the sort of texturing that this level deserves.

Any progress on putting this together? I know you can't upload it to IdGames just yet, but it'd be nice to see the finished product before it's out of our hands(so to speak).

I was thinking about this earlier today and thought it was a shame that the final version never got compiled, so I ]went ahead and did it myself.

Now everyone can experience the sheer mediocrity of this wad, only 9 months after the original planned date.

Mayhem 2013: The 2014 Edition.

(P.S. It's very large because it contains the entirety of the CC4 texture set, does anyone know a good way to automatically strip out the unneeded textures? I tried the feature in the latest SLADE 3 beta but it also strips out animated texture/flat subframes which causes issues.)

Holy fark. I got all this stuff and forgot about idgames coming back up.

I never learned to ftp ;_;

ONE MORE HEFTY GLORIOUS BUMP.

Okay, does MAYhem 2013 need anything else before it's archive-worthy? It'd probably be easier just to say in the textfile that this requires cc4tex instead of sifting through it ourselves, but is there anything else that needs sorting? I can upload if for you TMD if you can't.

Not from my end. It would be great to just have the textures we used included in the file, but seeing as I don't want to do it I won't blame others for feeling the same. Let's get this thing up there

Now that I understand more what I'm doing when it comes to removing textures after the practice I got cleaning up Melon's Fail Pile, I went ahead and cleaned it up, stripping out what should be the vast majority of unneeded textures.

Unfortunately SLADE 3's beta with the texture removal tool still doesn't quite understand what textures need to stay as part of the base resource, and which are needed as part of an animation despite not being placed on a wall directly, so there was a bit of using silly workarounds and manual flapping about until I got it to work. There's the possible risk that some animated flats or wall textures are not animating but a quick idclip around each level looks OK and prBoom stopped shouting at me that there were animations missing so I think it's all working OK.

Please don't everyone download the version I've linked to there hosted on my server, because it's still a 5MB download when zipped up (our maps use quite the variety of CC4 textures it seems :p). Also, you might want to rename the file before uploading it to idgames, I called it MAYHEM1302 to differentiate it from my previous version.

The finished version is around somewhere. Just good to go. Oh gosh.

Thanks a ton for your efforts Melon, I'm grateful you took it upon yourself to tidy it up best you could. I've rehosted the file on mediafire so anyone can download it. All we need now is the text file and it should be good to submit. Anyone wanna take care of that? Maybe Obsidian if he's submitting it to idgames

Viva la Textfile!

===========================================================================
Advanced engine needed  : Boom
Primary purpose         : Single play
Title                   : MAYhem 2013
Filename                : Mayhem13.wad
Release date            : July 17, 2012
Author                  : A buncha schmucks
Email Address           : themordicant@gmail.com(Obsidian's email address)
Other Files By Author   : Varies by author
Misc. Author Info       : I'll teach TheMionicDonut to do this crap himself
                          next time. - Obsidian

Description             : In response to it's wildly ignored predecessor,
                          MAYhem 2013 is a collection of maps all made in
                          the month of May. This time we were given the 
                          limitation of using only 2 monster types per map. 
                          Also we beat our previous streak of 
                          procrastination by 4 months! Count 'em.

Le Maplist!

01 - Unit 731
                          By Magnusblitz

02 - From the Sky
                          By Scypek2

03 - Shooting with Imps
                          By Joe-ilya

04 - Orange Night
                          By Katamori

05 - Eternity's Hatred
                          By Obsidian

06 - Pool of the Spiders
                          By Walter Confalonieri

07 - Casing Lake
                          By ArmouredBlood

08 - The Demon Rush
                          By Melon

09 - Leviathan
                          By Dobu Gabu Maru

10 - Onyx
                          By Ribbiks

11 - The Stone Spinneret
                          By Dobu Gabu Maru

Additional Credits to   : Essel for the rather excellent CC4 texture wad
                          Melon for compiling the wad
                          Obsidian for making the CWILV## graphics, the
                          DeHackEd patch and this sexy textfile
                          All the playtesters for, err, playtesting

* What is included *

New levels              : 11
Sounds                  : No
Music                   : Yes
Graphics                : Yes
Dehacked/BEX Patch      : Yes
Demos                   : No
Other                   : MAPINFO
Other files required    : Nope

* Play Information *

Game                    : Doom 2
Map #                   : 01-11
Single Player           : Designed for
Cooperative 2-4 Player  : Player starts only, sometimes
Deathmatch 2-4 Player   : Player starts only, sometimes
Other game styles       : None
Difficulty Settings     : Yes

* Construction *

Base                    : New from scratch
Build Time              : All maps were made in the space of one month
Editor(s) used          : Doombuilder 2, SLADE3, WhackEd2
Known Bugs              : MAP05 uses ghost monsters: make sure you check
                          compatibility flags  
                          Minor slime trails and flat bleeding on MAP11
May Not Run With...     : Vanilla Doom

* Copyright / Permissions *

Authors may NOT use the contents of this file as a base for modification or
reuse.  Permissions have been obtained from original authors for any of
their resources modified or included in this file.

You MAY distribute this file, provided you include this text file, with no
modifications.  You may distribute this file in any electronic format (BBS,
Diskette, CD, etc) as long as you include this file intact.  I have
received permission from the original authors of any modified or included
content in this file to allow further distribution.

* Where to get the file that this text file describes *

The Usual: ftp://archives.3dgamers.com/pub/idgames/ and mirrors
Have I missed anything?

^ MAP11 still has bleeding & slime trails that I'm not too bothered to fix since they won't be largely noticeable. Otherwise it looks good, thanks a bunch Obsidian. I can finally mark off another project I've been a part of that's been unfortunately vacationing in limbo.