Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Death Egg

Doom 64 for Doom II

Pedro VC said:

I would like to take Spawned fear (map18) please

This is going to be really, really interesting.

Just a quick update : Almost done polishing up my map...It has been a true test trying to emulate Doom 64's pace and feel with Vanilla's classic look. Screenshots to come, I hope all is well with the other maps.

Does anyone here want to continue my map "Watch your step"? I lost interest.

C30N9 said:

Does anyone here want to continue my map "Watch your step"? I lost interest.

Yes - always liked the map's style.

That's one hell o f asexy screenshot. I need to get around to playing through BaronOfStuff's maps already, too. Damn he's fast at making them.

@Death Egg

I just noticed a message in my inbox from Sniper109 explaining that he mixed up the map slots and accidentally made Altar of Pain (map12) instead of Dark Entries (map15). His map is already finished, and is pretty top notch, I might add. If need be, I can do a switch and make map15 instead.

Question, how will mappers do all those effects seen in the original Doom 64 version under a Boom/Vanilla standpoint (MAP02's smasher, numerous monster teleporting, room over room in a few maps, etc) ?

I know Doom 64 very well (though not as good as Kaiser). Looking for beta testers when the maps are completed?

Mr. Chris said:

Question, how will mappers do all those effects seen in the original Doom 64 version under a Boom/Vanilla standpoint (MAP02's smasher, numerous monster teleporting, room over room in a few maps, etc) ?

However they see fit, and with artistic license. Many of the effects weren't important to gameplay, and merely served as flashy ways to unlock the next portion of the map. Doom64 could never do true room-over-room either, so things like that won't be an issue at all.

c30n9 - thx for your start.
I'm keeping my stuff vanilla compatible as I don't use any enhanced port.

That looks pretty awesome Da Werecat! I love the buildings, though the mountains look odd to me. I can't really put my finger on why though. They probably look just fine i-game :P

In this case however, the sky won't tile vertically. I would consider extending it to 240px tall so it won't have to be stretched in ports like ZDoom (with mouselook on). It should be simple to do since adding more of the spacey sky would take care of it.

I'm gonna relinquish MAP04, I haven't touched it in weeks and I'm not happy with the texture scheme I chose. Looking forward to what someone else does with it. :)

Why, thanks.

Mechadon said:

I love the buildings, though the mountains look odd to me. I can't really put my finger on why though.

A little organic?

The problem is that I've never drawn mountains before, but I've drawn quite a lot of boney stuff. It shows, I guess.

Mechadon said:

It should be simple to do since adding more of the spacey sky would take care of it.

Well, the full sky is 256 pixels tall. This is the "vanilla" piece. So it won't be hard to assemble another version for source ports that support mouselook and MAPINFO.

Dragonsbrethren said:

MAP04

Maybe I'll take it.

Beautiful pixel art Werecat though it looks too cute.

Another impression.

*cheap ploy*
And a throwaway shot where there was an old .lit file in my folder containing some random color info. Funnily Doom64 was my main inspiration to create a port that adds high quality colored "lighting" to chocolate doom. Don't hold your breath.

Behind schedule big time but some things that held me back have vanished.
Running through Doom64 via the great DoomEX port additionally ignited some fire. Doom64 is truly a cool addition to the cosmos of the original.

I was Builder-happy, so I've made Final Outpost as well.

http://www.solidfiles.com/d/46936f9420/

Since it's the last techbase before hell, I've tried to make it a little more sinister.

_bruce_ said:

Beautiful pixel art Werecat though it looks too cute.

Thanks. I'll work on it a little more. It's not pixel art, by the way.

Nice bricks.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

How do you guys feel about music for this mod? I was going through some of my old songs and I feel like I could pump out a few good tracks for this mod if the interest/desire is high enough. Maybe I could try something different with MIDI to make something a little closer to the Doom 64 soundtrack with enough effort and tweaking and use of weird-ass MIDI instruments.

I'd like to hear some of the songs that were cut from both Doom and Doom II get revamped and recycled personally. Basically what if this were actually Doom 3 on the PC back in 1997 and Bobby Prince was hired once more to compose the soundtrack.

Da Werecat said:

I was Builder-happy, so I've made Final Outpost as well.

http://www.solidfiles.com/d/46936f9420/

Since it's the last techbase before hell, I've tried to make it a little more sinister.

Thanks. I'll work on it a little more. It's not pixel art, by the way.

Nice bricks.

I picked D64 back up again yesterday and got stuck on Final Outpost. I hate that yellow key >_>

Parts of it were highly unsettling to begin with, I wonder how bad it is now :p