Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tarnsman

[ Tango TV ] 5-in-100 Weekly Speedmapping Extravaganza (Season 1 Complete)

Because Alfonzo wants this to happen more (even though Alfonzo can't be bothered to run it himself) Tango TV will be hosting a bimonthly (possibly weekly depending on interest) speed mapping event in the same vein as Iron Chef.

There will be 20 minutes for ingredient preparation (texture selection, midi usage, etc...) followed by the 100 minute mapping session and a 5 minute touch up period (to make sure the map is completable, not to actually tweak anything in gameplay/visuals). Additionally, each session will have a special ingredient (Must use sector special X, must use X textures only, must have X of Y, etc...)

These events will always take place on a Saturday, around 5-7pm PST, with the next taking place this saturday. Because it would be boring if I was to just constantly conscript people from #doomtwid to do it, please pm either Alfonzo or myself if you would like to participate.

Skype used for the mapping chit-chat during the events.

Event #1-9
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/65308-ttvzone-collection-1/
http://www.mediafire.com/download/2...ne_Season_1.rar

Halloween Event:
Complete. Link to Come Later.

Thanksgiving Event:
Jimmy
Tarnsman
Alfonzo
TheMionicDonut
An_Mutt

Christmas Event:
Jimmy
Tarnsman
Alfonzo
TheMionicDonut

New Years Event:
Jimmy
Tarnsman
Alfonzo
Obsidian

All Inclusive Happy Holiday Event:
Jimmy
Tarnsman
Alfonzo

[pedant]bi-monthly means every two months, not twice a month[/pedant]

I'd be up for this (though not this weekend due to prior engagements). I expect to be just as bad at it as Alfonzo sounded, though :)

Per the dictionary, it means both. But fine SEMImonthly.

Or even fortnightly, which is a perfectly cromulent word that the rest of the English-speaking world uses, despite the fact that the US somehow missed it completely. :)

(we have to pick on you when we can, because you're going to shame us with your speedmapping skills)

But fortnightly means exactly every 14 days. I don't mean that, I mean twice a month. So if say, the first one was held on July 6th and the next one on July 27th, it would still be bi/semimonthly but absolutely not fortnightly. Now you wouldn't want us here at Tango TV to lie about our scheduling now would you?

Edit: Full as shit captain, looks like we may have to do weekly.

I am amused, but will need to know the dates in advance.

Event #2 will happen tomorrow (6/22/2013) at 5pm PST/8pm EST

Since Tarnsman never spends more than 5 seconds posting anything on forumland, I figure it's my solemn duty as a Xaser to post up screenshots and map information.

The "secret ingredient" for this go-round was "Use the Donut special at least twice", which several folks (who aren't me) put to very interesting effect. Lots of hilarity ensued on the chat as folks ran into various donut-y issues, but in the end, everyone got a pretty cool map out, I think. T'was a fun session to participate in, I say. Though it took a certain someone a couple of extra iterations to make his map not completely broken. :P

And now, for the maps, in no particular order:

Jimmy - Salvation Army Bacon And Eggs (mmmmmmmm.wad)

Alfonzo - Dogham't (doghamt.wad)

Xaser - Freudian Swamp (xa-speed1.wad)

Skillsaw - Uh Oh (or "Oh, No") (skillsaw5in100-1.wad)

Tarnsman - Caco Factory (Tarns-Speed2.wad)

That last name may or may not be canon, because I made it up.

July 27th is kind of iffy go for me.
You nailed the exact reason why I needed dates in advance. :x

EDIT:
Actually, as long as it is on the later side of that time, it is doable.

I figured over a month is more than advanced notice

Tarnsman said:

I figured over a month is more than advanced notice

It is!

Except my plans for the 27th were planned 2 months ago.

As much as I love this extravaganza, the picnic with 90+ people is more difficult to move at this point. That said, I can probably be home before 5-8 Pacific time, particularly if it leans towards the 7-8.

Or if it were any other Saturday this summer :x

You can switch slots with me Mionic. I'm not sure about my availability during August, but I'm pretty sure I'd be able to do this any Saturday in July.

Really enjoyable "development" video, only thing I'd ask is for each of the mappers to present themselves as I didn't know who the other voices were for the first 15 minutes. Eagerly anticipating the wackiness that will come from the next event.

Also, goddamn Tarnsman, you are a speedy beast.

Event 2.5 was held impromptu last night with the special ingredient being 1024 MONSTERS! (THANKS SEELE!) the results are as expected the not so good.

Mappers:
Jimmy - fecalmountain-2.wad (Fecal Mountain)
Joe Pallai - jpsp14.wad (Joe Pallai was too busy having a panic attack to name this map)
Marcaek - imsorrytod.wad (I'm Sorry, Time of Death)
Alfonzo - Falafels.wad (Falafel Gorge)
Tarnsman - Tarns-Speed3.wad (Oppressive Shit and Oppressive Shit 2: The Turd of Oppression)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/bgb45jdhdz8ma1y/Event_%233.rar

Tarns-Speed3 has 2 maps. Map 01 is what I made during the 100 minute session, Map 02 is a remake/second attempt which was to see if I could make a map (knowing before hand exactly what it was going to be) in 100 with 1024 monsters and not resort to monster spam and floodfill textures. (This was not the case, my hand physically could not click fast enough).

fdas for the 2.5 session.

this took much longer than i expected, heh.

fecal mt. and srytod took me over 30 minutes, although in fecal mountain's case that's because of utter failure to realize those islands i raised in the central area also serve as lifts. goddamit, jimmy! the beginning was instant nope from me, i'm not ssging a goddamn imp horde. the central area was fun - there's a bit too much space for dodging, so the only trouble was ammo management, but i enjoyed that. the final areas were hilariously rushed and felt very 94ish with the oversized caves, ineffective groups of monsters and megaitem spam.

srytod was surprisingly competent in the slaughtery sense, the bfg room was pretty amazing and definitely felt ToDish, heh. i totally expected the first cyb surprise, but that setup made me laugh. the other cyb scenario in the weird lava/lift room was silly and kinda broken. the central area would be much more dangerous and slaughter-proper if there wasn't that monster blocking line i totally abused to save my ass from the PEs. goddamn PEs. the final battle was hilarious, i totally thought i had a multiplayer port running in the background when i heard the chat beeps. overall i was a bit overwhelmed and without some cheesing i'd need more health than provided, methins.

alfonzo's map was a lot of fun, he managed to avoid the typical slaughter cliche of cleaning up the sideshow snipers and stragglers for 20 minutes after the brutal onslaught. the initial battle is a tad unfair (i survived only by accident), but then the map keeps good flow, i liked the key rooms, probably because i aced them on the fly. the final fight pissed me off, because i died and then i realized there's a superflous, very unslaughtery invul sphere. good fun overall.

tarnsman's map fell into the cleanup pitfall headfirst, i gotta say. the initial battle is fun and the two invuls let you choose some interesting strategies, but then pace slows down to a crawl despite all those cells everywhere. combination of fairly dangerous monster groups and goddamn manco snipers outside of doomguy's weapon range -> zzz. the blue key room was pretty good, except the rev snipers. killing them is very annoying. i kinda cheesed the YK room, but i can see it being a good battle - except it allows too many monsters to block from below the cliff. the lost soul room was very witty, reminded me of a similar deathtrap room in aeternum map02, then the manco cliff was just mindless overly long spam. probably the longest continuous plasma spam i've ever did.

joe pallai's map was hilarious, because i dunno if it works as intended. i kept fighting a bunch of weak monsters in the start room while the map DIED OUT. almost total extinction, the cyb overlords are probably a wee bit overpowered, not even mentioning unkillable, heh. random sniper rocket deaths are funny though.

Do we have a date for session six yet?

People are starting to ask about saturdays in august and Im putting this on as high priority as possible.

Event 3 complete, Zap never fixed his map so I've just included the broken version. Special Ingredient was instant moving floors.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/mn93udy4ue26t07/Event_%233_-_Proper.rar

Maps:
Capellan - Capspeed.wad (Quadratic Velocity)
Ribbiks - RBK_0706.wad (Ribena's Blue Killfest on the 706)
Zap610 - Zapmap.wad (A Map of Zap)
Rottking - Rottspeed02.wad (The Catface of Doom)
Tarnsman - Tarns-speed-4.wad (Speed 2: Cruise Control)

my fdas for event 3.

capellan's map is bite-sized and to be honest, the instant floors were... just there to be there and didn't contribute to anything, but the map was a fun romp. it's something i'd enjoy grinding the shit out of to get a superoptimized max, scythe-style, hah.

ribbik's map is a beast that totally whores the effect with inyoface ambushes and i was afraid to take a step, but it was totally what i'd expect from him - a micro-proto-slaughter. the dropdown sucked and i almost missed the blue key because it was obscured by corpses, but the imp/HK/av room was worth playing (dying).

rott's map is such a troll... interestingly enough i could manage the spiders, but the PIGS, oh damn. one time i blockmap-whiffed the most critical shot and then it was just desperate. also i fell into the inescapable pit of fuck you. ALSO you can break the map if you jump back from the final platform. understandable given the timescale tho. short brutal map reminding me of 32in24-d.

tarnsman's map is another map that enjoys slapping its dick in yo face immediatelly after the start. you pretty much need to run in some direction and die to understand what's happening and why and how to get a foothold, then you can play. the blue key ride down is kinda too hard and also broken (i escape and then i go back to kill the monsters in a stupid way), the rest of the map is hard, but manageable. there's a horde of revenants that has no way into the map, HAHA.

zap's map is broken-ish. first room has a bunch of HOMs, then it's udoom time... and then i locked myself out of progressing in that little pinkie ambush by triggering the lines wrong or something. upon restart i just dashed into the exit. :P

http://www.mediafire.com/?beoa5ibz674sqyz

Here is Event 4. Only 3 maps because Alfonzo and Marcaek didn't even remotely come close to finishing theirs. Xaser later went back and totally overhauled his, I've posted the first version here, he can post the second if he feels so inclined.

Edit:
Maps by MTrop, Tarnsman, and Xaser.

dew said:

capellan's map is bite-sized and to be honest, the instant floors were... just there to be there and didn't contribute to anything, but the map was a fun romp. it's something i'd enjoy grinding the shit out of to get a superoptimized max, scythe-style, hah.

Bite-sized is all you get in 100 minutes, at least from me. I don't map at anything near Warp Factor Tarnsman. :)

There is one sorta-trap instant floor in my level (when you raise the bridge, it also raises imps in the next room), but I did mostly just use them in place of lifts and doors. Still on the whole I am happy with "fun romp" as an outcome - it's my #1 objective with any map, really.

It would be pretty cool to see the results of you grinding out a supermax demo, though. So I hope you do that.

Edit: also, when can we start putting our names down for sessions 7 and onward?