Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tarnsman

[ Tango TV ] 5-in-100 Weekly Speedmapping Extravaganza (Season 1 Complete)

You can start putting your names down as soon as you officially want to sign up.

Sorry, but I don't think I'll be able to participate in the session this weekend. Something popped up that I'll have to do instead.

Oh no! I wanted to map with you ProcessingControl!

I may be able to switch back in if everybody decides to back out.

Maybe.

I'm available if you need bodies to fill maps, but I'll happily step aside for any first timers that want a shot, should you get some.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/0u5c4904homgdzb/Event_%234.5.rar

Event 4.5 - special ingredient Only Rockets.
Kate - 5in100_Unofficial.wad (Requires Zdoom, GL for sky)
Xaser - Xa-Speed3.wad
Skillsaw - Skillsawspeed-2.wad
Alfonzo - TTV-SA05.wad
Jimmy - Sausagesandshrooms.wad

Edit: Actually, here have a tarnsmap, play on -fast for the rocket gimmick to work. Too lazy to dehacked the whole map to fast.
http://www.mediafire.com/?bdxtfqepx0bdro3

Hey for the "Make a Map in another mapper's style", do you want us to put together a quick summary of the things we were trying to reproduce?

Jan Van Der Veken
Other than The Darkening, Jan's most notable releases were the "classic" series of wads, which were ultimately combined into two episode-long packs: "Classic Episode" and the more imaginatively titled sequel "Singularity Complex" (you'll find links to both if you click on Jan's name, above). These were what I used to get a feel for his non-Darkening style.

What I noticed, and tried to reference (but didn't always manage):

Both episodes are for Doom, not Doom 2, so I did not include any Doom 2 specific monsters, nor the SSG.

Both episodes strongly evoke KDITD in their texture choice. Lots of BROWN1 and STARTAN, which I made liberal use of in my own level. Jan didn't limit himself to E1 monsters though, so neither did I (though as it happens, I only included E1 weapons).

Jan liked nukage. It's in many of his levels, and you normally have to venture into it or fight around it to progress. You can finish my level without entering the nukage, but you'll probably have an easier time of it if you go paddling at some point.

Jan uses a lot of inset computer panels. Not surprising, given the E1feel he was going for. I didn't get time to include as many of those as I would like, but I did squeeze in a few.

Keys: the levels of Jan's that I looked at all tended to have multiple keys present. I managed to fit in two keys to my map. Would have liked to manage 3, but couldn't in the time provided. I'm just not that fast!

Platforming: Jan liked to have you do a little jumping around in his maps (especially for keys). I had plans to include something of this nature (the crates and platforms in the northern room) but didn't get time.

Interconnections: Jan liked complex layouts, with multiple connections between areas, some of which were visual only (so you could see into another area, but not access it). I didn't have time to do as much as this as I would have liked, and my layout is a lot more simple than Jan's tended to be. I blame the 100 minutes timeframe, again :)

Confinement: the areas in Jan's levels often felt quite small, a factor of the decorative items and genuinely smaller room sizes. I didn't really capture this at all: my areas are too big and open. I'd probably have to scale the rooms down by a third or more, or split them up more with walls, to get the style of the "classic" wads.

I overambitiously made a large map with lots of orthogonal lines and lots of ceiling lights, borders and other details that I didn't have time to edit, and during the last ten minutes I copy pasted a shit ton of revenants and imps in places to create gameplay that was surprisingly playable without any prior playtesting but hardly relevant to Erik Alm's actual gameplay scenarios in a level that simply looked too washed out and careless to be a map he would make. My teleport ambush didn't work so it's impossible to get 100% kills and neither did my replacement texture for ZZZFACE1 that said "I'm Sorry Erik Alm" on some METAL2 walls. The BFG tease in the starting room also doesn't have any access to it either. I intended to create a secret for it somewhere but didn't get around to it. And most importantly I'm disappointed in myself for not thinking to use Mr. X, as that would have made a much better exit room monster than that fat pile of archviles I crammed in there.

I suck at mapping and the golden doomguy that poses as my 2010 Mapper of the Year trophy shed a tear.

I don't know man, Scythe map26 seems to indicate that "hordes of revenants" was something Erik Alm would certainly do :)

I guess that since explanations are in order, I should elaborate on why my map sucks, even for a speedmap.

I jumped in at the last minute, not realizing that there was a prep time involved. Because of this particular detail, I didn't have time to research anything, and just went with John Romero as my map-alike candidate, at essel's recommendation. I decided to keep it simple, using my memories of Knee Deep in the Dead as a basis, even though a few Megalyth-isms crept into the process (I really need to work on that).

I intended to have another area after the red key doors, and an additional 15 or 20 minutes would probably have sufficed, but I had to exit early due to other obligations. Not only did I have no prep time, but I had to cut my actual mapping time short. Despite all of that, I had a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to my next participation.

No excuses next time!

While my unfortunate compatriots were forced to contend with less renowned designers in the community such as Alm, Veken and Natural Tvventy, I found myself with a mouth-watering challenge in the illustrious Jim Bagrow -- he of Realm of Chaos's maps 04, 14 and 16.

Truly the finest levels in the set.

Jim Bagrow
It is widely understood that Realm of Chaos was the only mapset to showcase the brilliance of Jim's work, but what is less understood is the reason behind this lack of a portfolio, which was not as was deemed at the time due to a lack of will or gumption. The powers that ruled were simply not prepared to realise the radical nature of his mapping style for the general public, who doomed his Realm of Chaos to a paltry show of downloads for his unconventional excellence.

Now, however, during what can only be described as the community's worst artistic drought in map making history, his grand, ineffable talent can be recommitted to the screen via the hand of a suitable admirer.

1. Beautiful, seamless layouts
    The orthogonal nature of Bagrow's design suggests a more typical approach in layouts rife with loopless ends and blocky offshoots, but this belies a deeper, inner beauty. The areas in his maps appear strung together in a loose and non-overlapping manner, relying intelligently on the player's sense of wonderment in progression and adventure to steal him to the next area and oggle at its unique establishment. Backtracking is an element employed strategically as a means to satisfy a known objective, and mazes, the choice in layout so dear to Bagrow's heart, is used principally to startle and pressure the player. The results are effective immediately, and devestating to boot.

2. Dynamic, energetic effects
    Everything flashes and glows in orchestrated fashion. Critics have called this a cheap attempt to liven the map at the expense of sensible visuals, but they know nothing.

3. Convention breaking standards in design
    Damaging liquids are frequently safe to walk on in Bagrow's maps, forcing the player to second guess what he knows about the world of Doom. What is real? Can it be trusted? Will this door open upon my command, or will I have to find a switch to open it? Will it even open at all? These are just some of the questions you will find yourself asking in a map that's sure to beat the boundaries of what passes for grand design in today's confused but lucrative art form.

Bagrow is the leading level designer in evocative, heart stopping gameplay, and these are the hallmarks of his genius.
You would be hard pressed to find a better opportunity to test your mapping mettle, and through Bagrow I have found that opprtunity. Thank you esselfortium and Seele00TextOnly for making this dream a reality.
Spoiler

Never again.

I just opened myself up to the world of Bagrow last night. I think my favorite parts were in MAP16 when you navigate down a narrow pitch black non-damaging nukage tunnel thats packed with mid to high tier monsters and the occasional explosive barrel blocking your path, moving you to instinctively shoot it and waste yourself when something leaps out of the darkness like that.

some laughing happened.

Well! So there are 3 of these left for the season (barring special events), and if there are any open slots I'd like to snag one, if I may. There is a very minor scheduling conflict in that I typically eat around 8pm EST (5pm PST, when this is supposed to start), but if we could delay it by about 30-45 minutes it should be fine.

I'd like to contribute 1 more if there's room, put me up as backup in case there's a sudden opening.

Rodger that.

PS. Event 6 will be posted whenever Xaser gets internet back.

Id be up for session 8, depending on the day though.

Tarnsman: "I'm gonna map like Alfonzo and do everything except the textures first, then texture at the end."
Tarnsman: *immediately starts texturing*

Amazing the amount of work he gets done in 100 minutes, though. I'm hard pressed putting together 8 pretty basic rooms in that time.

TTV!Zone Season 1 will be released here shortly, which will be the first 45 maps made for 5 in 100. Season 1 has officially ended and speedmapping is concluded for a while. There will be some specials in the coming months such as the Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, and Non-Denominational Inclusive Holiday specials.

I would like to sign up for all five events. Because I'm a bastard like that. :D

I would tentatively like a spot on Thanksgiving and Christmas.

I would like to sign up for the Halloween Event. I've done speed mapping before.

and here's the result: http://goo.gl/PV2VOX.

edit:though i would be availabel 8-10pm (since it would be 8-10am here)

hope to hear from you guys, thanks

The Speedmapping Extravaganza Halloween Special 2013: Yet another reminder of my saddening inability to satisfying an idea in a 100 minute time frame. Still, a big thanks to all those who participated in the event! Fun was had! Sorry for all the cussing.

"The moment you realise that the picture you hold in your mind for how you want your map to look will never be wholly realised, but that you can trust in your ability enough to make something of the exercise, that's when you can begin to enjoy the process..."
-- Alfonzo

"****ing god damn it I'm quitting speedmapping forever. ****ing Tarnsman. What a ****lord."
-- Alfonzo, 90 minutes later