Doomworld Mega Project 2013 - 54 maps - /idgames link

Suitepee said:

So I'm a little confused. Is this project finished and I have to download 3 wads of different compatibility types, or is there one big file that contains all the maps being complied together? Or are people still making adjustments to their maps and the final version isn't out yet?

I'll wait a bit before uploading to /idgames, in case people find bugs, etc.

The final version will be 3 separate wads in one zip file.

Share this post


Link to post
TimeOfDeath said:

I'll wait a bit before uploading to /idgames, in case people find bugs, etc.

The final version will be 3 separate wads in one zip file.


Ah, cheers for clearing that up!

Share this post


Link to post

Something I think needs to be brought up.

@Ijon Tichy:Your map is cool and all, and I don't ask that you change the concept. However, you should add an exit switch, because once the player gets to your map, they have no way of getting out of it except other than quitting the game. The NextMap console command doesn't work, either.

An exit switch would make one-time playthroughs and livestreams more feasible, while still allowing players who want to continue getting a higher score and surviving on your map to do so.

Other than that, your map, Futility, is very nice looking and quite a challenge.

Share this post


Link to post
obake said:

Something I think needs to be brought up.

@Ijon Tichy:Your map is cool and all, and I don't ask that you change the concept. However, you should add an exit switch, because once the player gets to your map, they have no way of getting out of it except other than quitting the game. The NextMap console command doesn't work, either.


http://ijontichy.lostsig.com/wads/futility_v24.wad

well that was easy

edit: I have no clue why nextmap doesn't work; my MAPINFO doesn't define a next map in it

maybe I should actually look at the compilation

edit2: yeah, ToD forgot to add "next map13" to my MAPINFO thing

edit3: did some UI tweaks, redownload if you like being able to read which weapon you just got

Share this post


Link to post
Ijon Tichy said:

http://ijontichy.lostsig.com/wads/futility_v24.wad

well that was easy

edit: I have no clue why nextmap doesn't work; my MAPINFO doesn't define a next map in it

maybe I should actually look at the compilation

edit2: yeah, ToD forgot to add "next map13" to my MAPINFO thing

edit3: did some UI tweaks, redownload if you like being able to read which weapon you just got


Thanks for your response. I honestly really like your map. It has a distinct gameplay style to it that I never experienced in Doom before.

There is one more major bug fix, this time for Jazzmaster9's "A Room with A View": The map seems to be unbeatable without noclip or fly, because the player cannot get to the door leading to the room with the red key (the ledge is too far away, and the player is not allowed to jump), nor do I see any way they could access the blue door. Otherwise, this looks like a nice level, with good monster placement and neat looking rooms.

Share this post


Link to post
obake said:

There is one more major bug fix, this time for Jazzmaster9's "A Room with A View": The map seems to be unbeatable without noclip or fly, because the player cannot get to the door leading to the room with the red key (the ledge is too far away, and the player is not allowed to jump), nor do I see any way they could access the blue door. Otherwise, this looks like a nice level, with good monster placement and neat looking rooms.

The level is beatable, I just did it. The switch textures are actually lifts. Jazzmaster9 likes to make lifts out of all kinds of metal textures, and sometimes they're hard to recognize.

The level is linear and very simple in both visuals and gameplay. Author can use 3D floors, but better would be if he was focusing on various kinds of more interesting and eye-pleasing visual presentation and level structure. But nothing really bad about it, Jazzmaster9 avoided the plain uglyness seen so often. Progression makes sense and is intuitive enough to be easily managable, and player doesn't have problems with bumping into things.

Share this post


Link to post

Thank you obake for the information you gave me.
I will watch about what you said and try to fix it.

It's still possible to fix my map and upload again?

Share this post


Link to post
Obsidian said:

You want someone to rustle up some map name graphics for the vanilla and Boom wads?


I can *try* to do them.

Share this post


Link to post

Fellowzdoomer, Obsidian already did them (thanks!).

Eradrop, sure you can post a new version of your map.

Share this post


Link to post

There's a bug in my Ode to Everything map that makes the floor in the baron niche in the second Entryway raise with HOM. I don't have time to look at it right now, so maybe it'd be faster to just fix it in the compilation.

Share this post


Link to post
scifista42 said:

The level is beatable, I just did it. The switch textures are actually lifts. Jazzmaster9 likes to make lifts out of all kinds of metal textures, and sometimes they're hard to recognize.

The level is linear and very simple in both visuals and gameplay. Author can use 3D floors, but better would be if he was focusing on various kinds of more interesting and eye-pleasing visual presentation and level structure. But nothing really bad about it, Jazzmaster9 avoided the plain uglyness seen so often. Progression makes sense and is intuitive enough to be easily managable, and player doesn't have problems with bumping into things.


Yeah someone pointed that out as well that I make lifts unrecognizable, i'll avoid that as much as possible in my future maps.

Share this post


Link to post

A short list of my impressions on the zdoom/udmf portion of this project:

Best map: Water Control by The_Trigger

Really good maps: Incarnate by Netherstorm
Ode to Everything by Scypek2
NUKAGE PROCESSING by ShadesMaster
SUBBSE by mrthejoshmon

Honorable mentions: Go to Hell by Baratus
Language Barrier by Kate Stone
Futility by Ijon Tichy

Worst maps: Twilight of the Gods and Dripping Oven Oil from Your Third Arm, by Ed and ClonedPickle, respectively.

Share this post


Link to post
obake said:

Best maps: Twilight of the Gods and Dripping Oven Oil from Your Third Arm, by Ed and ClonedPickle, respectively.


Wow! Thanks man!

Share this post


Link to post
obake said:

Honorable mentions: Futility by Ijon Tichy


not bad for a little piece of shit I banged out for no reason

Share this post


Link to post

As usual the threads will end with a,person saying theyll upload gameplays on youtube...

*starting...*

Share this post


Link to post
Fellowzdoomer said:

As usual the threads will end with a,person saying theyll upload gameplays on youtube...

*starting...*


I'm only going to play this on my twitch channel, not Youtube. (saving that for Switcharoom) So ha!

Share this post


Link to post
obake said:

A short list of my impressions on the zdoom/udmf portion of this project:

Best map: Water Control by The_Trigger


I don't know what to say? Thank you :)
Glad you enjoyed it.

Suitepee said:

I'm only going to play this on my twitch channel, not Youtube. (saving that for Switcharoom) So ha!


I can't wait to see your livestream coverage of this suitepee ;)

Considering the final version will be separated in 3 wads, do you have any idea which one you will play first? (Vanilla, Boom or Zdoom/Udmf?).

Share this post


Link to post
Suitepee said:

I'm only going to play this on my twitch channel, not Youtube. (saving that for Switcharoom) So ha!

A shame, i much prefer the tube over the twitch as its more accessible for rewatching stuff (imo).

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Suitepee said:

I'm only going to play this on my twitch channel, not Youtube.


you said it, now you have to tell us when

Share this post


Link to post
obake said:

...Really good maps: Incarnate by Netherstorm
Ode to Everything by Scypek2
NUKAGE PROCESSING by ShadesMaster
SUBBSE by mrthejoshmon...

I am honored, thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Suitepee said:

I'm only going to play this on my twitch channel, not Youtube. (saving that for Switcharoom) So ha!



"We shall see... about that."
-G-Man, Half Life 2 Episode 1

Share this post


Link to post
Fellowzdoomer said:

As usual the threads will end with a,person saying theyll upload gameplays on youtube...

*starting...*



Warning though. My sound will desync because I don't know of any android screen recorders that sync the sound... >:-(

Share this post


Link to post

I played the vanilla/limit-removing levels of the project. Here are the maps I believe stand as the best of this particular portion:

5 Fernito Ferno (vanilla)
6 Matt534Dog The Last Stand (vanilla)
10 Alfonzo Postmodern Hydraulics (vanilla)
17 Obsidian None So Vile (vanilla)

My favorite of these is Matt534Dog's "The Last Stand", which is a cool techbase that feels very much like a Doom 1 map, but updated heavily. This is praise, not criticism, by the way. I love the layout of this map and the mix of secrets. It's super fun to explore.

Alfonzo's "Postmodern Hydraulics" and Ferno's "Fernito" are also quite good, although they still aren't as memorable as "The Last Stand".

Obsidian's "None So Vile" is one of the eeriest, most unique maps I have played for Doom. It seems like a dungeon from The Legend of Zelda. There are so many puzzles and mysteries to figure out, yet they go far beyond simply hitting switches. There is one switch puzzle, but it is one of the easier ones to solve. The level is also reminiscient of Plutonia's "Hunted."

Overall, how do these compare to my favorites of the zdoom/udmf levels? I personally like the zdoom levels more.

Share this post


Link to post
ClonedPickle said:

Wow! Thanks man!


You DO realize that he said worst and not best, right?

Also, the thread for dmp2014 is up, guys

Share this post


Link to post
ChronoSerge said:

You DO realize that he said worst and not best, right?

Also, the thread for dmp2014 is up, guys


I think he got the point :)
He was just joking.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm interested in this project. I'd like to know some things: Which map slots are still open, if any?
And also, do you have to use a lump editor and rename the levels yourself or is it done for you? Because I've been having trouble with XWE/Slade etc.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now