Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nicolas monti

Favillesco first episode for Doom 1 Released!

FDA's for E1M2 and E1M3. Died once on E1M2 due to a silly mistake and got myself lost a couple of times. :P Not as action packed as the first and the E1M3 demo is close to 15 minutes. Great couple of maps with great design that has amazing layouts and a style reminiscent to E1. Can't wait to record the rest along with speed demos after I've memorised the maps.

Springy said:

FDA's for E1M2 and E1M3. Died once on E1M2 due to a silly mistake and got myself lost a couple of times. :P Not as action packed as the first and the E1M3 demo is close to 15 minutes. Great couple of maps with great design that has amazing layouts and a style reminiscent to E1. Can't wait to record the rest along with speed demos after I've memorised the maps.

Wow man, just the results I wanted, you can be punished a bit sometimes (that part in the dark little tech maze near to the blue key was funny to watch), but at last the maps are smoothly doable. I'm waiting for the next demos!

I thoroughly enjoyed recording them it has to be said. I did kick myself when I found the light amp goggles in the end but it was a little too late. FDA E1M4 and that's a wrap for tonight.

Nice work.
I have been playing v1.1 and had a couple of problems:
You should be able to see these problems in Chocolate Doom.

E1M2 - I couldn't get out of the secret with the Chainsaw in.
E1M3 - The secret (sector 107) doesn't register when you enter the area unless you wait on it (it drops lower than the floor), so you could miss it if you ran in and left by the lift on the other side.
E1M4 - The zombieman near to -962, -935 is stuck in the barrel.
E1M5 - Sector 98 doesn't lower because the Demon blocks it.

I will try the rest later on / tomorrow.

Springy said:

I thoroughly enjoyed recording them it has to be said. I did kick myself when I found the light amp goggles in the end but it was a little too late. FDA E1M4 and that's a wrap for tonight.

Good run, I like when you aim to make the barrels explode and it was funny how you missed the chaingun almost to the end. however this time you found the exit more rapidly than you did in the previous demos!

marineController said:

Nice work.
I have been playing v1.1 and had a couple of problems:
You should be able to see these problems in Chocolate Doom.

E1M2 - I couldn't get out of the secret with the Chainsaw in.
E1M3 - The secret (sector 107) doesn't register when you enter the area unless you wait on it (it drops lower than the floor), so you could miss it if you ran in and left by the lift on the other side.
E1M4 - The zombieman near to -962, -935 is stuck in the barrel.
E1M5 - Sector 98 doesn't lower because the Demon blocks it.

I will try the rest later on / tomorrow.

great work man!
I'm aware of the former two bugs, I'll check the others so they can be fixed on version 1.2, Thanks for your help!
EDIT: done, everything fixed, I'll wait for more potencial bugs to pop up until the release of the version 1.2

I've just finished the other maps and haven't noticed any other problems.

Two things crossed my mind while playing E1M8 (playing from pistol start): I don't know if this is intentional but there are loads of rockets on that map but no rocket launcher. Also I don't know if this goes against what you had planned but a berserk on that map would be cool.

Great job, anyway.

OP, I would suggest giving it another week to iron out any potential issues in the levels before uploading it to /idgames/. Nothing is more annoying than reuploading a new version a few days later because of a few showstoppers or very annoying bugs in a level.

marineController said:

I've just finished the other maps and haven't noticed any other problems.

Two things crossed my mind while playing E1M8 (playing from pistol start): I don't know if this is intentional but there are loads of rockets on that map but no rocket launcher. Also I don't know if this goes against what you had planned but a berserk on that map would be cool.

Great job, anyway.

Good observation, that is intentional. Even if it is dislikeable I've tried to emulate the behavior of the original episode regarding to the weapons. The original phobos anomaly doesn't have a rocket launcher and the previous level, computer station is the only level on the episode (except for military base) which offers you the rocket launcher without obliging you to find a secret area. About the berserk, I had in mind to place some over the episode til I realized that the original E1 doesn't have any by using the shareware iwad as resource. I've been conservative with the E1 concept so the only way to have the rocket launcher in E1M8 is by playing the whole episode (except for cheats..) that is why playing the level from pistol start is much more challenging I think.
it's good to hear that you finished the episode without any other bug-related problems. Thanks for your feedback!

There's a berserk in IWAD E1M9 -- does this not appear in the shareware version?

Disregard, I reckon I'm thinking of the same level in the PlayStation version.

Mr. Chris said:

OP, I would suggest giving it another week to iron out any potential issues in the levels before uploading it to /idgames/. Nothing is more annoying than reuploading a new version a few days later because of a few showstoppers or very annoying bugs in a level.

Yes, I'll wait a few days for more playtesting, thanks for your advice.

Jayextee said:

There's a berserk in IWAD E1M9 -- does this not appear in the shareware version?

Disregard, I reckon I'm thinking of the same level in the PlayStation version.

Ok, I was close to having a heart attack :p