Nearly finished - Episode 3 project

Looks kinda economic , is this vanilla or another 100 lines project?

Share this post


Link to post

Were it 100 Lines, almost half of that is accounted for in the first screen alone. So, no.

Share this post


Link to post

Just played through the map and it was alright. I like how you went with the classic feel with this one. It definitely looks like and feels like an episode 3 map.

I only found one secret ( The one were you lower a platform to get some shells). After playing it a second time, I found the second secret which contains 2 medkits and a blue armor.

Concerning gameplay:

The gameplay was alright aside from a few problems:

-Lack of health (not that I needed any but it is always nice to have a few stimpacks here and there). Unless you find the second secret.

-Ok for the cyberdemon, I didn't see that you could telefrag him.

-Barons of hell are never fun to fight with just a shotgun AND I don't think it is a very good idea to put them in an e3m1 map replacement (But that is just me ^^)

That is for the gameplay which felt quite basic.

Now for the architecture:

As I said before, I can see you went with a rather classic feel with this one which is not a bad thing. Although, here are a few nitpicks:

The transition between textures is quite rough here, maybe some kind of border could do the trick:



The step texture used here seems out of place in a hell environment, this is more suited for a tech-themed level:



I like the blood pool but you should maybe lower it a little (8-16 units) because it looks a bit awkward:



The lighting seems a little weird here:



Anyways, these are just minor and do not affect the overall flow of your map.

Other than that, the map was alright, not very hard but that is fine since it is an e3m1 replacement.

Hope to see more from you.

Share this post


Link to post

Cool stuff, you don't see many classic styled E3 episode replacements often here.

Share this post


Link to post

E3 was always my favorite episode. Nice to see more projects inspired by it. You seem to be capturing the general feel of it so far.

How many maps are you planning anyway?

I hope you're doing at least one like Mt. Erebus.

Avoozl said:

Edit: actually nevermind.

Indecisive indeed o.o

Share this post


Link to post
joe-ilya said:

Looks kinda economic , is this vanilla or another 100 lines project?


As Jayextee quite elegantly put it, "Were it 100 Lines, almost half of that is accounted for in the first screen alone. So, no."
So yes it is vanilla haha :)

The_Trigger said:

Concerning gameplay:

The gameplay was alright aside from a few problems:

Anyways, these are just minor and do not affect the overall flow of your map.

Other than that, the map was alright, not very hard but that is fine since it is an e3m1 replacement.

Hope to see more from you.


Thanks for the tips. I will definitely make the changes you suggested :)

cannonball said:

Looks interesting


Thanks Cannonball

Mr. Chris said:

Cool stuff, you don't see many classic styled E3 episode replacements often here.


Thanks. I've always wanted to play more E3 style maps since there are so many in E1 style.

Lüt said:

E3 was always my favorite episode. Nice to see more projects inspired by it. You seem to be capturing the general feel of it so far.

How many maps are you planning anyway?

I hope you're doing at least one like Mt. Erebus.


Thanks a lot. I'm planning on doing the whole of episode 3. To be honest I never thought of doing a map like Mt. Erebus but I may do a map inspired by it. Thanks for the idea.

Share this post


Link to post
joe-ilya said:

So I played through this in choclate doom.

So I found a bunch of tutti-fruities.
http://imageshack.com/scaled/large/9/kxlk.png
http://imageshack.com/scaled/large/855/o8gb.png
http://imageshack.com/scaled/large/560/7s31.png
http://imageshack.com/scaled/large/594/6c4b.png

The doors has it both sides , btw.
The third shot has the TF on that scrolling flesh neck.


Thanks for testing it on chocolate doom and pointing out the errors but I don't have much knowledge on vanilla doom and I really don't have a clue what is causing those errors.

Share this post


Link to post

Heights larger than the texture size. If you can make the steps only 16 units tall, and the sectors surrounding those doors only 112 units tall, you'll avoid this.

EDIT
And the scrolling flesh, 96 (I think) units tall. If in doubt, check the texture size - anything that's not 64 or 128 will tutti-frutti when tiling in vanilla/chocolate Doom.

Share this post


Link to post
Jayextee said:

Heights larger than the texture size. If you can make the steps only 16 units tall, and the sectors surrounding those doors only 112 units tall, you'll avoid this.

EDIT
And the scrolling flesh, 96 (I think) units tall. If in doubt, check the texture size - anything that's not 64 or 128 will tutti-frutti when tiling in vanilla/chocolate Doom.


Thank you. I have made the corrections and tested in in chocolate doom. There is no longer any tutti-frutti.

Share this post


Link to post

the screenshots look interesting.

they seem to have this classic detail level, which means normal texture use, and not containing hundreds of sectors to make small ditches and bumps. (the way they are in original ID maps.)

when i get bored expanding my maps then i will download this.

Share this post


Link to post
FireFish said:

the screenshots look interesting.

they seem to have this classic detail level, which means normal texture use, and not containing hundreds of sectors to make small ditches and bumps. (the way they are in original ID maps.)

when i get bored expanding my maps then i will download this.


Thank you. Please tell me what you think after you've played it.

Share this post


Link to post

I really liked the first level! Very nicely done. Some really nice architectural stuff that was very original. Good gameplay, too, even if it's a bit easy. Overall very well designed.

BTW, on my second attempt I killed a lost soul in the beginning room with one shotgun blast. You can imagine my surprise. That was... well, it was really eerie!

Share this post


Link to post
Hellbent said:

I really liked the first level! Very nicely done. Some really nice architectural stuff that was very original. Good gameplay, too, even if it's a bit easy. Overall very well designed.


Thank you. I really appreciate it.

Hellbent said:

BTW, on my second attempt I killed a lost soul in the beginning room with one shotgun blast. You can imagine my surprise. That was... well, it was really eerie!


I have never done that before. That is a moment to remember haha well done.

Share this post


Link to post

FDA's In my honest opinion, these could do with some work. I see that you're definitely improving though but texturing seems quite bland to me, height variation could do with being put in more and some gameplay could do with improvement, most noticeable in E3M2 the blue key is just there could do with some more creativity. I do however like some of the traps, especially that yellow key one and the part when you visit the spider demon both gave me a surprise. It is good to see an Episode 3 project in the works as that's my favourite episode. EDIT: Actually, scratch that I think I have an older version (downloaded from the first post not too long ago) spotted some differences in those screenshots and it just occurred to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Springy said:

FDA's In my honest opinion, these could do with some work. I see that you're definitely improving though but texturing seems quite bland to me, height variation could do with being put in more and some gameplay could do with improvement, most noticeable in E3M2 the blue key is just there could do with some more creativity. I do however like some of the traps, especially that yellow key one and the part when you visit the spider demon both gave me a surprise. It is good to see an Episode 3 project in the works as that's my favourite episode. EDIT: Actually, scratch that I think I have an older version (downloaded from the first post not too long ago) spotted some differences in those screenshots and it just occurred to me.


I love the way you shake the mouse when I have done something wrong in the map haha.
Thank you for the feedback. I will add to the aesthetics with height and texturing and I will also make the keys harder/more interesting to collect.
I enjoyed watching the FDA demos but demo 3 gave some very strange glitches in glboom. It might be my map so I'm not sure. I will try to fix it.
Again thanks for the FDA's and the feedback.

Share this post


Link to post

My FDAs. Second map felt a little lacking in shotgun ammo, and then I got really pissed at the spider dude with his spectre minions in the last map and now I'm too sullen to replay it.

Share this post


Link to post
meapineapple said:

My FDAs. Second map felt a little lacking in shotgun ammo, and then I got really pissed at the spider dude with his spectre minions in the last map and now I'm too sullen to replay it.


Sorry man, I only just saw this post. Thanks for testing it and thanks for the feedback. I enjoyed watching your FDAs.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now