3D architecture and other experimental stuff

Have I been wasting my time?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Have I been wasting my time?

• Yes, but it's beautiful
    • Yes, but it looks OK
    • Yes, it's an abomination!
    • No

This is a little something I started work on back in April, the intention was to see how well I could reproduce multi-storey real world architecture using 3D floors and slopes, in this case modelling Block 67 on the abandoned island of Hashima. The cross-over stairs were the hardest part to get right AND lined up with the doorways.

With Block 67 mostly out of the way I moved on to constructing the Doom logo in 3D, can't recall why, must have seemed like a good idea at the time. Easily the most tedious part of the job was aligning 3D mid-textures, and they're only done on one side.

Here's a couple of screenshots which should jog peoples memories, since they've already appeared in the "Post your Doom picture!" thread.

(1920x1200 - 2.18MB) I've spent the last couple of days adding sector-based shadows

(1920x1200 - 2.57MB) With Chubzdoomer's 3D slopes tutorial model in the background

After sitting on this for a few months while getting other things done I decided it was time to get some basic shadows in the building and post it for comment/suggestions/laughs. Still undecided as to whether I'll attempt to model the entire island, one incomplete building took long enough - here's the wad. It's Map01, you'll need GZDoom or Zandronum to run it.

very impressive - i didn't know sloped room-over-room was possible now, or am i missing some kind of trick? which source port does this run with? zandronum or gzdoom, got it.

Oh man, that's cool. It's almost like it's not even the Doom engine!

Thanks all, it's been a learning experience if nothing else.

AtTheGates said:

i didn't know sloped room-over-room was possible now, or am i missing some kind of trick?

Took me a while to come to grips with stacking 3D floors of any sort. With slopes it's mainly a matter of keeping the control sector parallel with and the same length as the slope, as you'll notice with the slimy X.

baronofheck82 said:

MEAK MOAR PLEEZ

Next step might be to try faking the internal layout, which I know next to nothing about. What I do know is that they mainly used plywood on wooden frames for internal partition walls, so at least it won't be more GRAY5.