Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Inkie

A Doom Map

Looks good, will check it out later.

Edit: FDA and SDA. FDA has one death (got a little too explorative...or rather, I completely overlooked the correct route), second life reveals a map bug. SDA misses some kills, maybe some of the cacodemons, or I missed a section of map.

Fun map, I finished it in 5 minutes on my 3rd try. It could have been more detailed, and I didn't find the secret. Good job.

EDIT

FDA, about 6 minutes, no deaths:
http://www.mediafire.com/?t5zlnlr515up5ji

It's a good start, definitely feels simple but it plays OK. I really like the central structure, it's visually imposing and distinct. The way you circle around it, getting closer each time you see it through a window, was an excellent idea.

Didn't find the secret, until I went back for a second try. Goggles are a tricky item to give out because they can actually make your map look a lot worse when everything is fullbright.

Well done, keep at it.

EDIT: Some people might tell you that inescapable lava/slime pits are bad, and while I generally agree, this map is short enough that I think you can get away with it.

Dragonsbrethren: nice catch on the map bug, didn't think to check that one. You didn't miss any real kills, as with vanilla E1M8 you've got a monsters-kill-you level end so 100% kills are impossible.

Yeah, I didn't even think about the end sector, but I was still thinking I missed some cacodemons, seemed like there were more on my second attempt, but admittedly I never bothered counting them.

I really expected there to be something in that lava pit and behind the exit.

Thanks for the feedback.

Dragonsbrethren said:

I really expected there to be something in that lava pit and behind the exit.

Wouldn't be much point in putting something behind the exit building. Being the end of the episode and all means your stuff would go poof anyway.

Nice catch on the bug as well.

Very solid effort for a first map in my opinion.
I guess a was to describe the map is safe, the visuals are clean and simple and the combat is likewise. Though the central rock and marble structure is nicely executed. Probably would advise on experimenting a bit more is height variation and monster placement/variety to develop some more dynamic encounters.