Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

Doom 2 The Way id Did: Released! Bugfix update Nov 16

Well, my 7zip (v9.20) opened it without any problem. Maybe you need to update or something? Or downdate? I don't know why your 7zips didn't work.

Gez said:

Well, my 7zip (v9.20) opened it without any problem. Maybe you need to update or something? Or downdate? I don't know why your 7zips didn't work.

I have 9.20 64-bit on Windows Server 2012; it can open the archive but it fails to extract the wad file.

FINALLY, a finalised version! Sort of a late christmas present!

It'll be great to relax and play a wad normally without hunting for 9001 bugs.

yeah, same problem here. I'm using the latest version of 7zip (9.30 alpha), can open the file but not extract it due to "unsupported compression method". also tried it with Total Commanders internal zip unpacker, doesn't work as well. I don't know what the issue is. you should repack and reup the whole thing, standard zip files shouldn't have such problems. who knows with what systems and software it doesn't work either.

edit: funny enough it does work though with the internal zip support of windows 8.

I was able to reproduce the problem with 7-Zip on my end, so I've created and uploaded a new zip that should hopefully fix the issue.

I'd really like to know what the hell might have caused this, though, so it can be avoided in the future. The fact that it even works in 7-Zip for some people is highly concerning.

It will be online whenever Ty accepts it. The new textfile will have an "Archive Maintainer" note at the top, so that can be used as an indicator for when the download is updated.

Note that the wad contents haven't changed at all, just the textfile and zip, so there won't be any goofy incompatibilities between wad versions as a result of the "hotfix."

[EDIT] Hmm, looks like the updated version is online, but the Doomworld /idgames front-end didn't re-parse the textfile and is displaying the old contents. Should all be fixed now.

Hey, posting it here too so more people notice.
I started the LP I was going to do of D2TWiD with Alfonzo as my guest commentator. It's in my old videos thread, here. More details about it are also posted there.

This is the first part, I'll only post this one in this thread so as not to spam everything with my videos too much. The rest will of course be over in the thread linked above.

I just wanted to quickly say I beat this last night finally and it is high quality throughout. I really enjoyed the whole thing. The design is super polished from the visuals to the layouts and the individual battles. Fun fun fun.

Hey guys. Played the first 13 levels of this and I must say I love it! Very well done! For me it's much better than DTWID, but mostly because I always liked Doom 2 more than 1.
Anyways, I'm posting here because I found a game-breaking bug in map07. If you move around the starting area instead of going straight forward, you can teleport without opening the door. After you expose the mastermind and kill all the arach's, the platform will rise, and you can get stuck in the sector between the door and the platform.

well.. I guess it's too late for bug reports, but whatever.
noticed something weird, I was humping the wall in map2 looking for secrets and all of a sudden the map restarts. was playing with prboom+ but to make sure I also tried it with chocolate.
don't know much about doom mapping, could someone explain what is happening here?

That's the secret exit to Map 33:Hexsoil. This is a homage to the Xbox version of Doom 2 which added a secret map 33 accessed from map 2.

The problem is, this will only work in ports with mapinfo support.

In ports without mapinfo support, a secret exit in a map other than 15 or 31 will cause the current level to be exited and restarted.

What a megabump, heh. I'm planning on playing it sometime soon, since I went through the original DTWID and enjoyed E2 and E3 from that. Hoping this will be enjoyable.

I'm still trying to figure out:

1. Why the Dehacked in the zip file (no par times) doesn't match the Dehacked inside the wad (has par times).

2. Why those par times don't match the par times in the (Z)Mapinfos.

3. Why the list of map credits in the text file doesn't exactly match either the map list in the Dehacked in the zip OR the list in the Dehacked inside the wad. All three are slightly different.

4. Why none of these lists exactly matches the CWILVxx graphics in the wad.

So MAP04 is either "The Siltyards" or "The Terminal", and MAP08 is either "Quarantine" or "Starstruct, Inc."

How did this get out the door like this?

And how did no one notice this before now?

EffinghamHuffnagel said:

So MAP04 is either "The Siltyards" or "The Terminal", and MAP08 is either "Quarantine" or "Starstruct, Inc."

I think they totally did notice, but just elected to leave it in to replicate the feeling of rushedness that accompanied the original Doom 2. Or at least in the case of Map 8 that was the intention, Map 4 was probably just one additional slip-up.

EffinghamHuffnagel said:

I'm still trying to figure out:

1. Why the Dehacked in the zip file (no par times) doesn't match the Dehacked inside the wad (has par times).

2. Why those par times don't match the par times in the (Z)Mapinfos.

3. Why the list of map credits in the text file doesn't exactly match either the map list in the Dehacked in the zip OR the list in the Dehacked inside the wad. All three are slightly different.

4. Why none of these lists exactly matches the CWILVxx graphics in the wad.

This is a textbook example of how not to submit a bug report. Attitude aside for now, the lack of detail here makes it unnecessarily difficult to diagnose, i.e. reporting "things are slightly different" without actually saying WHAT is different. The map naming issues all boil down to "MAP04, MAP08, and MAP21 have inconsistent names" and I had to waste a bunch of time figuring this out myself. In many circles, this is a good way to get your report ignored completely.

Since I'm already here, here's a full list of what you're seeing and why it's the way it is:

• The in-zip DEH is a vanilla-format DEH patch (Vanilla/Choco-compatible), while the in-WAD DEHACKED lump is BEX format (Boom-compatible). The latter lifts a bunch of limits present in the former and adds some useful "cosmetic" features that we chose to use in ports that can handle them.
  • Vanilla DEH does not support changing par times at all, hence why they're missing in the external patch.
  • Vanilla DEH also imposes a limit on replacement text strings, which infamously means that some map name slots have really short maximum string lengths. MAP21 is one such slot, hence why "Passage to Exile" is shortened to "Exile" in the external patch.
  • MAP04 and MAP08's name discrepancy was left in on purpose as our "Circle of Death"/"'O' of Destruction" tribute. As trivia, originally it was going to be just MAP08, but MAP04 got renamed partway through development and we played the "leave it in" card when we noticed that the automap name was still off.
  • The inconsistent par times between DEHACKED and ZMAPINFO is a proper bug -- albeit a minor, tiny, hard-to-notice thing that never came up during development. This is worth fixing if we ever make an update to the wad to do other stuff, but not enough for a re-release in its own right.
I get that there are things that look weird, and posting about them in a "hey I think I found an error" way would've been great, but since the majority of these are not errors and you've gone out of your way to be a passive-aggressive prick about it, it's hard to dig up any sympathy. For everyone's sake, please use a bit more brainpower before you post next time.

I laugh a lot. I used to get angry at so many things. But I finally realized that anger is a very active emotion. It takes a lot of energy to be angry. So now I laugh at most of the "absurdities of life". It just adds more sunshine to my house. Unfortunately, I'm not always very good at putting a "wry smile" into my writing. So I'm sorry if anything I post comes off as overly sarcastic, or snarky, or even a little mean. Understand that I was probably smiling when I wrote it. I have to work on that. I had a similar response to one of my posts over at the Realm667 forums, also from someone I respect.

So I read your post and laughed. I wasn't submitting a bug report. My bug reports are always specific. I was sharing my amusement at some inconsistencies I found in the file. I wasn't asking or expecting anyone to do anything about it. It would be like pointing out mis-aligned textures in "Memento Mori". It doesn't break the map, so why bother? What's the point?

Thank you for your clear explanation of why things are the way they are in the file. I'm sure you can understand some of the confusion. The original MAP08 submisison was 'Welcome to the Pain!', not 'Quarantine'. 'The Quarantine' was originally submitted as MAP09 and the original version's only similarity to its final form is the southernmost area. There were three submissions for MAP04; 'Radar Base', 'Mechanical', and "The Siltyards'. None of them are named 'The Terminal'. So with maps moving around and changing names, you can see how the 'tributes' can be construed as mistakes.

Unfortunately, none of your explanation is in the text file. 'Circle of Death' and 'O of Destruction' sound like they could be referencing the same map. Same with "Passage to Exile/Exile". "Quarantine/Starstruct, Inc." and "The Terminal/The Siltyards" really don't. Homages, in-jokes and tributes only work if the player gets the reference. So to a casual player, or someone downloading this 10 yrs from now, they'll just look like errors.

Oh, and the download version linked at http://d2twid.herokuapp.com points to http://ionline.vectec.net/doom/D2TWID.zip.
That's still the 11/13 version, not the finalized 12/13 version on the archives. Just sayin'.

"Passive-aggressive prick"? Seriously? Wow. Attitude aside for now - Hell, I've been called worse by my dad [Big Grin].

Welp. I'm still not able to read/interpret that post in a humorous light no matter how I try -- I can't find the cues. But if that's what you meant, then I'm the prick.

Regarding the herokuapp site's link, I didn't even think that was still up, and I can't remember who manages it anymore (Essel?) -- it's probably worth updating if whoever holds the keys has a chance to do so.