Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

Doom 2 The Way id Did: Released! Bugfix update Nov 16

[/idgames link] -- [official site] -- [dev thread]

[Downloaded before the time of this edit? Download it again! The bugs have been ruthlessly squashed!]

Doom 2 The Way id Did is the long awaited sequel to 2011's smash hit gargantuan, Doom The Way id Did. It comprises 32 fully texture-mapped mazes that endeavour to both look and play as though they've come from Dallas, 1994. From the very toiling hands of Sandy, John and American! The idea was originally kicked about by Jason Root aka Hellbent, whose passion for the game and knack for growing enthusiasm resulted in one of the most successful community collaborations in Doomworld history – not to mention an impressive collection of more than 100 total submissions. While not quite as successful as the first project in this regard, painstaking lengths have been made by those involved to ensure that D2TWiD is as true a doppelganger of id's Doom 2 as it could ever be. And we hope you agree!

We also hope you enjoy playing Doom 2 The Way id Did. Unless you disliked the game, in which case we'd be honoured if you regarded it with just as much contempt.

Here, have some promotional media!

>> Download! <<

D2TWiD reserves the right to contain horrifyingly awful bugs and breaks. If you've found one, chances are it has been subjected to twid software's Leave It In™ policy. If you think whatever it is you've found is just too horrendous to go unchallenged, however (the map cannot be completed. The map doesn't exist), please report it in here and we'll do what we can to correct the issue.

List of fixes made [last edit]:

• MAP30 one-way doors doors are fixed
  • Mancubus-in-wall teleport in MAP15 moved
  • Typo in MAP29 map name in vanilla .deh fixed (the coil in question is no longer "moral". :P )
  • Fixed MAP31 music crashing DOS-vanilla (thanks marineController! That was indeed the problem)
  • Fixed MAP27/MAP28 door issues posted by marineController above; the rest is subject to the fabled "leave it in". :P
  • Fixed YELLOW DOOR HELL bug in map31 for Zdoom-based ports
  • Removed teleporter closet above sector [84] in map02
  • Removed multiplayer flag from SSG in map06
  • Added easy and medium difficulty flags to RL in map06
  • Fixed erroneously red-locked yellow key door in map09
  • Changed position of walkover line from [766] to [415] in map25
  • Unlocked sector [84] in map20
  • raised exterior of exit door by 8 units in map21.
  • Removed unneeded LANGUAGE lump
  • Fixed broken teleporter closet in map25.

FUCK YES! I know what I am going to be playing today. Big ups and well done to all involved along with a massive thanks from me. Thanks.

Zed said:

This is great. When will it be uploaded to /idgames?

There'll be the customary safety barrier to ensure that I didn't go and screw everything up at the last moment. Then it should be merrily on its way to /idgames with a hop, skip and a jump. In the mean time, enjoy!

Big congrats to the team! Also kudos for the last month's effort of adjusting the gameplay's id-ness even for us players from the Special forum.

ATTENTION!

Hilarity ensues as Alfonzo leaves the house and locks the door, then remembers where he left his house keys! If you've downloaded the release before the time of this post, then you'll want to download it again. The bug has been squashed. That is unless you like bugs. Bugs that, when pressed, turn entire maps into doors.

No I'm not telling you where. That would ruin the fun!

Alfonzo said:

ATTENTION!

Hilarity ensues as Alfonzo leaves the house and locks the door, then remembers where he left his house keys! If you've downloaded the release before the time of this post, then you'll want to download it again. The bug has been squashed. That is unless you like bugs. Bugs that, when pressed, turn entire maps into doors.

No I'm not telling you where. That would ruin the fun!

Still not bug-free unfortunately. Monster teleport in Dead Sea is still completely broken, and the speedrunning stuff dew asked for wasn't implemented. I haven't checked my other maps yet but I'm assuming it's the same case there. (edit: yep) If I had been aware of this I'd have taken care of it myself last night (I'd have done it sooner but time got away from me), but I was told it had all been done already so I went to bed :X

R.I.P. Map 01 Cyber. The day you were removed was the day freedom died.

In the latest posted version, MAP21's exit door sector is 8 units taller than the texture, so it'd presumably tutti-frutti in vanilla.

edit: MAP02's teleport destination still should be fixed to not look like an active teleport, since it isn't one

Finally! Now you jerks can finish working on something I actually care about!

Or start a brand new project like you always do, jerks

I played through a beta and enjoyed it a lot, so this can only be better, looking forward to another play through.

rhinoduck said:

"ZANGUAGE" lump?

A fresh and exciting fruit type that is said to have originated somewhere in the Byzantine era. Like the tomato, it is only technically a fruit and may comfortably be included in vegetable salads and sauces.

Fixed.

Alfonzo said:

[ZANGUAGE discussion]
Fixed.

Welp. If by "Fixed" you mean you renamed it back to LANGUAGE, this will actually break ZDaemon. That lump shouldn't be there -- I meant to delete it after testing, but long story short, ZDaemon crashes upon encountering a LANGUAGE lump because it doesn't understand the format or somesuch. Luckily, the wad doesn't actually need it, given that the DEHACKED takes care of things.

Pretty fun actually.

This is a prime example of no matter how hard you try, it's impossible to make as shitty maps as the original Doom 2 ones. :)

darkreaver said:

Pretty fun actually.

This is a prime example of no matter how hard you try, it's impossible to make as shitty maps as the original Doom 2 ones. :)

Don't worry, we'll get Tarnsman on that as soon as possible.

It probably falls under the "leave it in" policy, but map 09, one of the two red key doors has yellow keybar textures surrounding it.