OK, 90% converted. The remaining 10% requires some editorial decisions and so I leave it up to you!
Doom Builder auto-detects this as a ZDoom file, possibly because it has a BEHAVIOR lump, but it's definitely a vanilla Heretic level.
What needs doing still:
I will go over what I did to convert it, a little later. It was more work than I thought it would be, but still not very much given that it was a small level, and I did learn a few things about level conversion.
- Almost none of the linedef actions you used have exact vanilla equivalents, so I went with what is closest: doors are slower, the crusher is weaker, etc. You might want to change these, or move things around to compensate.
- Of particular note are the bars that lower once you enter the blue key room; a quick player can back out before they close, getting stuck. (This is also a problem for multiplayer.)
- In vanilla/chocolate Heretic, you can get a visplane overflow by pressing the switch that reveals the weredragons/lich, and turning so you see both the exit door and the raised blue key door. Fixing this might be tricky, perhaps you just want to note it and recommend the wad for limit-removing ports.
- You should double-check to make sure I haven't messed up any textures, etc.
edit: Here's what I did, mostly using SLADE, but not how. Ask for details if you want.
I wasn't timing myself because I was working on it in spurts as I did other things, but I'd guess it didn't take me much more than an hour in total. A more complex level would be vastly longer to convert.
- Got a list of textures and flats used, using TexSpy from here. Doom Builder will also give you a list, but it doesn't separate textures from flats, which is needed in a vanilla level.
- Copied the textures from bak_leg.wad into vvault.wad. Textures (patches) go between markers called PP_START and PP_END, flats go between FF_START and F_END (only one F on F_END). Textures used as both need to be copied twice and renamed in one list, I chose to rename flats, replacing the first letter with F. (This led to some funny names like FOODSL07 and FETAL64 :D ) There are supposed to be several tools to do this automatically, but I couldn't get them to work, and given the short list of textures it was just as easy to do it manually.
- Change all flat graphics to be 64x64.
- Convert graphics into Doom gfx / Doom flat. It seems like the textures in bak_leg.wad used the Heretic palette or something close, because I didn't notice any colour loss.
- Created a TEXTUREx lump based on Heretic's texture entries, with the added textures.
- Change most short textures to be 128 px high.
- Replace the patch in the LAVA* textures with the DORELEC* ones, or whatever they're called.
- Replace SW2 switch patch with the SW50 ones.
- Use the find & replace function in Doom Builder to replace textures and flats; change offsets of the SW2 switch textures.
- Change the map type to Heretic in DB.
- Change all the linedef and sector effects by hand, using two instances of DB, one with the vanilla level and one with the original to compare.
- Fixed what I presume was a small bug: the brazier in the Dragon Claw room was only showing up on Hard.
Last edited by plums on Nov 12 2013 at 00:48