Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
june gloom

Plutonia 2 soundtrack

Nice, the IWADs got this treatment.

Quick, do Perditions Gate/Hell to Pay and Chex Quest!

EDIT: I swear, its frustrating as all hell to get those files. Must EVERY file hosting site be so obnoxious?

EDIT2: Was TNT's Human Barbeque track in the TNT pack based on the broken glitched version? Sounds off, like, well, the glitched version.

I took D_STALKS directly from tnt.wad, and since I recorded with AIMP which does not know the ingame fixes implemented with source ports, I have no means to get this fixed other with a direct ingame recording. Unless someone knows where to get a fixed D_STALKS.mus or .mid file.

Regardless, please try to get that one fixed up. Its a wonderful track when it sounds right.

I listened to all of Doom 2 just now and some tracks sound like they need some touch-ups. The intermission is full of these weird high-pitched chirps, for example. Getting Too Tense = Holy shit, AMAZING.

TNT was pretty much perfect except for that track, so props for that.

EDIT: Doom's music has once again been proven to be badass and far better than the sequel's. I love this version of the soundtrack!

I found that natt posted a fixed version of D_STALKS for TNT here. Credits go to him for this. I have reconverted this .MUS file to .MID and ran it through the whole conversion process once more. It should sound properly now.

The packs on the previous page are updated. If you just want to download the single track that got fixed and not all of them (again), here they are:

D_STALKS for TNT - fixed (OGG version, 2.4 MB)
D_STALKS for TNT - fixed (MP3 version, 3.7 MB)

Thanks for this. Will you continue on to the other IWADs or other popular wads? Really enjoying the new life this treatment gives them

For now, I have OGG versions of Chex Quest 3, Hell to Pay and Perdition's Gate. Again powered by the sound or Arachno.

Rapidshare:
Chex Quest 3/Hell to Pay/Perdition's Gate (OGG, 51/77/85 MB)
Chex Quest 3/Hell to Pay/Perdition's Gate (MP3, 86/92 MB) (updated Jan 9, 2014)

Speedyshare mirrors:
Chex Quest 3 (OGG, 51 MB)
Hell to Pay (OGG, 77 MB) (updated Jan 9, 2014)
Perdition's Gate (OGG, 85 MB)

Chex Quest 3 (MP3, 86 MB)
Hell to Pay/Perdition's Gate (MP3, 92 MB) (updated Jan 9, 2014)

MP3 versions will follow once I know the names of all the tracks plus composers. If anyone knows where that info can be found, that'd be helpful.

NightFright said:

I took D_STALKS directly from tnt.wad, and since I recorded with AIMP which does not know the ingame fixes implemented with source ports, I have no means to get this fixed other with a direct ingame recording. Unless someone knows where to get a fixed D_STALKS.mus or .mid file.

I know it's no longer needed, but just for reference:

• The same fix is implemented in SLADE 3 as well, so if you use it to convert MUS to MIDI, you'll get a fixed MIDI lump which you can then export.
  • ZDoom has that fix too, and it also has the writemidi console command allowing you to use it as a MIDI variant to MIDI converter.

NightFright said:

MP3 versions will follow once I know the names of all the tracks plus composers. If anyone knows where that info can be found, that'd be helpful.

Everything known is on the Doom Wiki. That means that the Mustaine tracks are known, the non-Mustaine track are non-known.
Tom Mustaine
For Chex Quest music, Andrew Benson never gave them any official titles, so the only titles you can get are for the Diduro tracks.
Chex Quest

I see that Perdition's Gate and Hell to Pay share a lot of music. That should reduce filesize of the MP3 pack considerably since I can remove duplicate tracks there. :)

NightFright said:

I would have liked to host the DOOM music on the Duke4.net FTP as well, but Yatta and the other admins will kill me if I put stuff there that has nothing to do with Duke, especially when the files are that large. I can still try to ask for permission - even if it's only for the OGG packs maybe.

Keeping the DOOM soundtracks outside of duke4.net sounds logical, so I'm fine with this ;)

Gez said:

Arachnosoft, you should get rid of the superfluous linebreaks in your sig. It doesn't look very good like that: ;)

Hehehe ^^
Thought it was some kind of automated formatting applied by the forum, so I didn't bother looking at this... fixed!

Ragnor said:

EDIT2: Was TNT's Human Barbeque track in the TNT pack based on the broken glitched version? Sounds off, like, well, the glitched version.

NightFright said:

Ragnor said:

Regardless, please try to get that one fixed up. Its a wonderful track when it sounds right.

I actually never understood why did this MIDI was always being screwed up!
I remember that I had to edit it as well to restore the bass and sawtooth leads' volumes...

Ragnor said:
I listened to all of Doom 2 just now and some tracks sound like they need some touch-ups. The intermission is full of these weird high-pitched chirps, for example. Getting Too Tense = Holy shit, AMAZING.

EDIT: Doom's music has once again been proven to be badass and far better than the sequel's. I love this version of the soundtrack! [/B]

Thanks for the feedback!
I also noticed that Intermission sounded a little... different from the MIDIs I have here, but... I actually liked that version :)

NightFright said:

For now, I have OGG versions of Chex Quest 3, Hell to Pay and Perdition's Gate. Again powered by the sound or Arachno.

Rapidshare:
Chex Quest 3/Hell to Pay/Perdition's Gate (OGG, 51/74/83 MB)

Speedyshare mirrors:
Chex Quest 3 (OGG, 51 MB)
Hell to Pay (OGG, 74 MB)
Perdition's Gate (OGG, 83 MB)

Wow... how efficient!
I guess I'll have to update my website soon once again... Thanks!

The current OGG packs for PG/H2P have tons of duplicates, but I kept them since it's meant to cover all the tracks ingame. The MP3 versions will be much more compact - I will probably merge them since they are almost identical, anyway.

What you might also look into with the soundfont, but I dunno if it's worth doing so for just this one track - the soldiers marching in D_EVIL (which is accomplished with the gunshot patch). Anyway, only few soundfonts manage to get this right, so if it ruins too many other tracks if you change this, just leave it the way it is.

P.S.: I like Cacos! :P

Sweet, CQ, and the two commercial wads. That was half a joke, but thanks for them too. CQ's music is bloody damn good and half the reason I play through the game often

PG/HTP should indeed be merged for the listening version, the soundtracks are indeed almost identical, a side effect of both being published by the same company

When you have time, I'd like to also request Heretic, Hexen, Strife and HacX to complete the collection of IWADs and commercial wads

EDIT: Fear not Eris, I am planning on changing my avatar to something less "forum standard", but I have trouble getting the image I want in a particular size

EDIT2: There, no longer will I be a caco!

I have added the MP3 packs in my previous post.

The OGG pack for Perdition's Gate had been missing D_RUNNIN. This has been corrected.

Heretic and the other packs will also follow, but no ETA on those. The worst is making the MP3 compilation since tags have to be added manually.

What I forgot with most of the OGG soundtracks btw: I didn't duplicate the tracks, so if you use them the way they are, old MIDIs will kick in eventually. Anyway, doing this would massively bloat the OGG packs, so I am not sure if I should do this.

NightFright said:

What you might also look into with the soundfont, but I dunno if it's worth doing so for just this one track - the soldiers marching in D_EVIL (which is accomplished with the gunshot patch). Anyway, only few soundfonts manage to get this right, so if it ruins too many other tracks if you change this, just leave it the way it is.

I already did that when I designed Arachno SoundFont, actually! :)

I chose and tuned the gunshot patch with this track in mind, as I knew that Bobby Prince specifically chose it to reproduce the footsteps of German soldiers. And I thought that the result was pretty decent compared to other SoundFonts or synths (Sound Canvas included)

But I also had to optimize it so it could be used as an alternate snare drum on some old (not to say crappy) FM/OPL/AdLib-designed MIDI files, and it was a tricky challenge. Just like with any other instrument, actually.

On a sound bank designed for general purposes, like Arachno SoundFont, you're always tied between finding a good-sounding instrument, and finetuning it appropriately so it can still sound decent on most situations, without being overwhelming while played with other instruments in a general MIDI file.

On the other side, I also tried to find and use a realistic gunshot patch, and did not find anything satisfying. So I mainly focused on the two previously-mentioned examples.

I also had to deal with such a situation with DOOM's E1M5 "Suspense" track, and its guitar fret noises. I never found which sound effect was being emulated here! (no info about it on Doomworld's DOOM music page). On some soundcards (e.g. the Creative/Ensoniq AudioPCI ES1371/VIBRA 128/SB Live! SW Synth), this sounded like human (children) screams, but I don't know if it was the expected effect. But as the guitar fret noise was often being used like it was meant to be on many guitar/rock MIDIs (as fret noises), I did not spent much time on this DOOM track, as soon as I found a sample which sounded decent enough on most guitar MIDIs, while not sounding that weird on DOOM's E1M5.

Hell to Pay is missing the first level too, unless you just corrected that alongside Perdition's Gate. Maybe you could use MAPINFO and other such things to set tracks to the levels that duplicate music?

I must say, HTP/PG sounds damn good. Already a great soundtrack, it has so much extra kick to it now. Played a long TNT2 map with nothing but the map 32 theme last night.

Previous H2P packs updated with missing song. Sorry for this mess, it's quite complicated to keep an overview, and the list in DOOM Wiki doesn't help with songs from unknown authors.

Missing D_RUNNIN for H2P (OGG version, 2.9 MB)
Missing track for H2P (MP3 version, 5.2 MB)

The problem with duplicated tracks can be solved with a SNDINFO file I believe, but then it will only work with ZDOOM. Alternatively you can clone the needed tracks at the cost of bloating filesize. After a check, only the DOOM and DOOM2 OGG packs are concerned. I will take care of those shortly.

i'll just chime in here and say that the bass drums in the Arachno soundfont are far too low to be used in most Doom tracks. compare D_RUNNIN with the Roland versus the Arachno, and the difference is night and day. if the bass drums could be punchier in the standard set, it should do a hell of a lot of difference.

DOOM and DOOM2 OGG packs are fixed (duplicated tracks added). DOOM went up from 56.3 to 74.9 MB, DOOM II from 79.8 to 149.7 MB by adding the cloned files. As regrettable as this bloating is, those are ingame versions which may contain duplicates - opposite to the MP3 packs.
At least this way, you won't be restricted to using ZDoom with this.

Here are ALL links for all Arachno packs again, latest versions.

RAPIDSHARE:
OGG ingame soundtracks for Doom/Doom II & addons
MP3 soundtracks for Doom/Doom II & addons

MIRRORS:
DOOM (PK3/OGG, 128 kbps, 75 MB) (Fixed version from Jan 9, 2014: Missing duplicate tracks)
DOOM II (PK3/OGG, 128 kbps, 150 MB) (Fixed version from Jan 9, 2014: Missing duplicate tracks)
TNT Evilution (PK3/OGG, 128 kbps, 34 MB) (Fixed version from Jan 7, 2014: Fixed D_STALKS)
Plutonia (PK3/OGG, 128 kbps, 75 MB)
Plutonia 2 (PK3/OGG, 128 kbps, 76 MB)
Plutonia Revisited (PK3/OGG, 128 kbps, 59 MB)
Chex Quest 3 (PK3/OGG, 128 kbps, 51 MB)
Hell to Pay (PK3/OGG, 128 kbps, 77 MB) (Fixed version from Jan 9, 2014: Missing D_RUNNIN)
Perdition's Gate (PK3/OGG, 128 kbps, 85 MB)

DOOM (ZIP/MP3, 256 kbps, 100 MB)
DOOM II (ZIP/MP3, 256 kbps, 141 MB)
TNT Evilution (ZIP/MP3, 256 kbps, 54 MB) (Fixed version from Jan 7, 2014: Fixed D_STALKS)
Plutonia (ZIP/MP3, 256 kbps, 166 MB)
Plutonia 2 (ZIP/MP3, 256 kbps, 166 MB)
Plutonia Revisited (ZIP/MP3, 256 kbps, 129 MB)
Chex Quest 3 (ZIP/MP3, 256 kbps, 86 MB)
Hell to Pay/Perdition's Gate (ZIP/MP3, 256 kbps, 92 MB) (Fixed version from Jan 9, 2014: Missing D_RUNNIN)

Question: How do I get the Plutonia series content from that site? I get all kinds of warnings and it tries to make me download an exe rather than the intended file.

To download files from BayFiles (such as the Plutonia packs), I can actually click on the Premium download button and I get the file at high speed without having to download an .exe, although I don't have a paid account...

I don't know if this is normal situation, but... shhh! :)
I remember that I couldn't do that last month. Don't know why this has changed!

Holy shit, that actually worked! You are a legend :)

Going slow as hell though, but at least I can get the files.

Some other points for NightFright: Are the bonus unused midis in the plutonia midipack MP3 download? If not, could you do a little minipack for them?

Also, should all this be in its own thread now, now that its grown beyond the scope of Plutonia? (Hoping for Icarus soundtrack down the line btw, love Team TNT's stuff)

EDIT Dammit, it didnt work afterall, they all downloaded corrupted -_-
Screw that site, dumped a thousand popup ads on me too that would NOT close. Filesharing is a goddamn pain.

The Plutonia/Plutonia 2/Plutonia Rev. pack mirrors have Speedyshare links now, maybe those work better for you. Check the links in my post above again.

The Plutonia bonus tracks can be downloaded here, but only as MP3s since they aren't used ingame, anyway:

Plutonia Bonus Tracks (ZIP/MP3, 256 kbps, 24.6 MB)

My favorite of these six tracks is probably Bucket's "Plucked and Hammered" (I removed the long silence after half of the song btw).

A new thread for this is available in the meantime. I am working on the Icarus soundtrack today. Should be available in a few hours. ^^

Eternal Doom is also on my to-do list eventually.

Yeaaah! Thanks!

I loved playing Icarus and really enjoyed the soundtrack, with its recurrent musical theme! Love the way it sounds on Level 2 and Level 7 tracks.

Eternal DOOM sounds great as well. And Rich F. Nagel (the composer) was one of the first to support and promote Arachno SoundFont on VGMusic forums and the BASSMIDI website ;)