Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jazzmaster9

32 Over 32 [RELEASED!] Now on Idgames

jazzmaster9 presents:

32 Over 32 Has Been Released!

Idgames: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?file=levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/32over32.zip
Mediafire: http://www.mediafire.com/download/i4iegzi8bw8rnx1/32over32.zip

What is 32 over 32?

32 over 32 is not your average mapset. 32 over 32 contains 32 standalone levels separated into 32 individual wad files. The levels were made with pistol start in mind and each map will vary in terms of Theme, Difficulty and Gameplay style. It Takes the Master Levels formula of standalone levels but gives each map their own unique concepts.

Here are some Screenshots:

Spoiler

Older versions:Thank you so much for those who participated in the Beta thread, you guys helped out a lot!

Hope you guys enjoy 32 Over 32!

You could make a version that has everything together and still has the seperate map concept. ZDMLMENU for example, has an interface that allows you to play the master levels together without leaving the game, in any order you wish.

jazzmaster9 said:

P.S. please do not comment about the fact that the project is not in a single wad, i.e. "Why don't you just put them in one wad?", I know it's a strange concept, but its a concept that I want to push for.

All right, I won't say that. But how about this: what is it about doing things in this format that you prefer over just packing them all in one wad?

Anyhow your maps look good, I enjoyed your earlier efforts and these look much improved so I will check this out for sure.

Crasger said:

Screenshots look awesome.
Might steal some ideas from the screenshots.

Did I type that out loud?

Yes you did! and Thank you

plums said:

what is it about doing things in this format that you prefer over just packing them all in one wad?

Well its the fact that all of these levels are so different from each other that jumbling them together won't make much sense, and also i just wanted to try something different.

is it a megawad or is it 32 maps?

also, is there an order the maps meant to be played in?

also, with regards to the file, perhaps the author meant each map to be played with a pistol start.

Hey, I'm halfway through this so far. Lots of nice bite-sized levels, they vary in quality and generally feel pretty simple, but I'm enjoying them overall. Using GZDoom, I've got mouselook enabled but am not using jump, even though it's not disabled - you should include a quick list of 'allowed' gameplay options, maybe, or at least say "play however you want" if that's how it is.

Some general purpose feedback:

• I got why you'd want to split these maps up into separate wads, after only playing a few of them. It really is like 32 completely separate levels. You could still pack these into one zdoom wad, with a 32-"episode" selection screen and having each map return to the title screen on exit. But no harm in keeping it how it is I suppose.
  • I like your use of ZDoom features, they enhance the map without falling to the trap of "script everything! new decorate on everything!" that you see in ZDoom maps sometimes, and it generally justifies the port-exclusivity.
  • A lot of your secrets show up on the automap as two-sided lines. Don't know if this is intentional or not, but it makes finding them pretty easy.
  • Many of the maps end up feeling a bit forgettable, because nothing especially exciting or challenging happens. Don't be afraid to be a dick with monsters or traps a bit more often.
  • Several areas feel like they could "pop out" more with some more interesting lighting. You've got lots of light variation, but often it's a matter of "this whole region is darker, this region is lighter", etc.
  • You should put in level names. You've got title screens, new music, etc., but everything is still "Entryway". http://zdoom.org/wiki/MAPINFO/Map_definition has all the info you should need.
Playing A-Z, so far my fave maps are Dark, Fortress in the Sky, Hydra, Infernal Sanctuary. Will post some brief level-by-level notes later if you want.

Hurricyclone said:

What are those things in the fourth screenshot? Looks like red Protozoid Slimers.

They are pustules, and they explode Suicide bomber style.

Pure Hellspawn said:

is it a megawad or is it 32 maps?

also, is there an order the maps meant to be played in?

also, with regards to the file, perhaps the author meant each map to be played with a pistol start.

This is a "mapset" with the quantity and weight of a megawad,
and Yes they we're made with pistol start gameplay in mind, and is not meant to be played in any order, just pick and play :D

plums said:

Some general purpose feedback:

• I got why you'd want to split these maps up into separate wads, after only playing a few of them. It really is like 32 completely separate levels. You could still pack these into one zdoom wad, with a 32-"episode" selection screen and having each map return to the title screen on exit. But no harm in keeping it how it is I suppose.
  • I like your use of ZDoom features, they enhance the map without falling to the trap of "script everything! new decorate on everything!" that you see in ZDoom maps sometimes, and it generally justifies the port-exclusivity.
  • A lot of your secrets show up on the automap as two-sided lines. Don't know if this is intentional or not, but it makes finding them pretty easy.
  • Many of the maps end up feeling a bit forgettable, because nothing especially exciting or challenging happens. Don't be afraid to be a dick with monsters or traps a bit more often.
  • Several areas feel like they could "pop out" more with some more interesting lighting. You've got lots of light variation, but often it's a matter of "this whole region is darker, this region is lighter", etc.
  • You should put in level names. You've got title screens, new music, etc., but everything is still "Entryway". http://zdoom.org/wiki/MAPINFO/Map_definition has all the info you should need.

1. I might look into that, i know someone made something similar for the master levels.
2. Thanks, i really like using zdoom feature to enhance instead of change gameplay.
3. I might set hidden wall secrets to invisible linedefs(though this is not a priority)
4. yeah i kinda notice that as well looking back, i'll make up for it and enhance architecture in some maps.
5. I might consider changing that as well, though I'm not very nit-picky with the auto map.

Some interesting levels here. Got to say that that ROTT level was unique. And so was that dark fortress with the fire sky too.

OK cool, I beat this last night. Overall I liked it, I don't think there were any bad levels, just a few overly simple ones in terms of layout or gameplay. About a third of them I thought were really good, and since they're all pretty short even the less good ones don't drag on or anything.

Some per-level issues:

Afterlife
No blue key needed? I can use the exit lift without it.

Doom of the Dead
I really like this map, it's got a great feel to it and good use of ZDoom stuff, but it's very easy. While easy levels are fine, I think this one would really benefit from being harder. The zombies are very easy to take down. Normal zombie tropes: having massive swarms of them, having them hard to kill, or having very limited ammo, any of which would fit here and enhance the mood.
Sounds are weird - normal zombies use demon bite sfx to attack, boss zombies use scratch sfx for a punch.
The boss zombies are super easy to beat because they don't do damage in their jump-attack until they punch, but when they jump into you it stops their forward motion entirely. So you don't have to dodge them at all, just stay near them and back up a bit once they've collided with you and they whiff completely.

Eternal Punishment
Very E4, complete with orange sky exit :D
The green area w/ blue key really needs some more contrast, either with lighting, or some texture variety, or both. It looks super plain and could be very easily fixed.

Fortress in the Sky
Instant death floor is appropriate, but it looks weird being at regular floor level. The player should fall a little bit at least; likewise if you kill imps and knock them off the edge, their corpse just "floats" there. There's lots of ways to do this without changing the look of the islands, especially with ZDoom, I can show you a few if you want.
The exit sequence is a little weird, why not have the teleporter exit the level? Still one of my favourite maps here overall, it looks great and is a nice challenge.

Mount Fear
I played this one without mouselooking at the boss target, otherwise it's way too easy. You could fix this by having a narrow opening to the pillar, so that only rockets fired from the lift will pass through and damage the boss.

Nuclear Refinery
The chainguner trap at the end is nice, but the player can get stuck if they go into the lifts where the chaingunners were.
Textures are nice here, where are they from?

Sandy's City
I have to say that I don't like the spiderimp things, I think they look and sound quite goofy.
Secrets are very easy to find on the automap.
This looks nothing like a Petersen map, the texturing is too uniform :p It's a good layout though.

Some kind of /|/|onster
Ended up being one of my favourite maps, even though it was a speedmap. A lot of cool ideas in here.

Wolfdome
The white Nazi miniboss (otto?) is the wrong scale, he looks like a chibi enemy. Also when he shot me I got the message "plums rode plums's rocket". Nice subversion of the usual Wolf3D levels though.

Also: I looked through your wads a bit with SLADE, you've got a lot of duplicate markers (PP_START/PP_END, etc.) but ZDoom seems to not care so I guess it's fine!

jazzmaster9 said:

What do you guys think of Eternal Punishment's new blue key room lighting?

That part is good, the part behind it is still a little bland. Honestly I think it would look a lot better if you moved away from green marble for everything; E4M5, which is the closest look to what you're doing here I think, uses a brown ash for the floor texture and step textures on the stairs, and that alone adds a lot of contrast.

Up to you though! If you like it how it is, don't let me tell you different.

plums said:

That part is good, the part behind it is still a little bland. Honestly I think it would look a lot better if you moved away from green marble for everything; E4M5, which is the closest look to what you're doing here I think, uses a brown ash for the floor texture and step textures on the stairs, and that alone adds a lot of contrast.

Up to you though! If you like it how it is, don't let me tell you different.

No problem! i'll experiment with those texture scheme and see what i can come up with.

Minor Updates to be added on v1.2.1

-MAPINFO added to each map, giving them individual map names on the auotmap and Intermission screens.
-fixed some issues with texturing.
-might add more monsters to slaughterhouse to make it more slaughtery

New Version "v1.2.2" released

updates:
- changed and fixed some texturing
- some minor balance change
- added some more cover to Slaughterhouse
- ROTT torches, yay!
- General Darian Taunts!

This looks pretty fascinating. I like the concept quite a bit. Though from the title, I was thinking that this was going to use 3D floors to make a 32-storey-tall building that you had to climb up, which probably wouldn't have been as interesting to play, so this is better. :)

Megamur said:

This looks pretty fascinating. I like the concept quite a bit. Though from the title, I was thinking that this was going to use 3D floors to make a 32-storey-tall building that you had to climb up, which probably wouldn't have been as interesting to play, so this is better. :)

Thank you! I'm glad you liked the concept.

It's like some crazy Doom variety pack. Who knows what you'll get next? :)

This would've been a neat "advent calendar" for Christmas. A strange, new theme level each day for 24 days. Not that you'd have to make them in 24 days, just release them once a day.

I do feel I have to note that there was already a mod called Revenge of the Triad, which acted as a ZDoom-based sequel to Rise of the Triad.

EDIT: Or maybe that was Return of the Triad....

Megamur said:

I do feel I have to note that there was already a mod called Revenge of the Triad, which acted as a ZDoom-based sequel to Rise of the Triad.

EDIT: Or maybe that was Return of the Triad....

Yes It was Return of The Triad by ElZee and it was awesome.