Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MarzoLeon

My First Map (maybe, new 32-level megawad?)

Greetings to all. Here, try to build something in the editor Doom Builder 2. For the first map, I think, not bad.

Download: Link

I had the idea to do alone 32-level megawad for Doom 2 (Evilenius). But it seems that I can not do alone. There is a wish to participate in the development? If the majority will not mind, I'll post the rules in this thread. List of maps drawn up, but over some names still thinking.

Maplist:

Episode I: Beginning Of Madness
---
Map 01 - Outpost (first version ready)
Map 02 - The Warehouse
Map 03 - Chemical Plant
Map 04 - Drainage
Map 05 - Factory Of Weapon
Map 06 - The Barracks
Map 07 - Deadly Lesson
Map 08 - Underground System
Map 09 - Lab Of Tyranny
Map 10 - Command Center
Map 11 - Gates To Space [Dead Exit]
---
Episode II: The Dimensional Adventures
---
Map 12 - Moon Eclipse
Map 13 - Electric Machinery
Map 14 - The Tech Core
Map 15 - The Starport
---
Secret Levels
---
Map 31 - Astray
Map 32 - Demonition
---
Episode II continue
---
Map 16 - Unholy Planet
Map 17 - Nightmarish Forest
Map 18 - The Ghostly Courtyard
Map 19 - The Forgotten Stronghold
Map 20 - Portals Of Chaos [Dead Exit]
---
Episode III: Apocalyptic Discord
---
Map 21 - Into The Furnace
Map 22 - Temple Of Dishonor
Map 23 - Halls Of The Damned
Map 24 - Vulcanic Facility
Map 25 - Demented Bridge
Map 26 - The Savage Suburbs
Map 27 - Citadel Of Crying
Map 28 - Hellish Reincarnation
Map 29 - Sinful Den
Map 30 - Escape From Hell

P.S. I'm from Russia. My English isn't very good. Sorry..

MarzoLeon said:

P.S. I'm from Russia. My English isn't very good. Sorry..

Ha, I always love when somebody says something like this, as they've usually just written a perfectly comprehensible message beforehand that a lot of native speakers rarely match :P You've got nothing to worry about with your English!

As for the map - it's alright. Looks like you need to learn a bit about changing light levels to create shadowed areas and brighter parts. As it is now the map only has one light level through out. Otherwise that's very good for a beginner effort! Would be right at home at the start of a mid or late 90s map set, I think.

I'd say, rather than try to do a megaWAD as your first outing (which is very ambitious and a lot of people don't finish their attempts as it can take years, even with a team), just make your first episode. Make sure to experiment with map features you haven't used (lifts and crushers, for example) and try to experiment with different themes.

MarzoLeon said:

Greetings to all. Here, try to build something in the editor Doom Builder 2. For the first map, I think, not bad.

Download: Link

Not bad. Nothing special either, but the potential is there. It's your first map, anyway, and it was quite pleasant to shoot through. Nothing looked really awful, and the simple gameplay was appropriate for a MAP01. A frequent mapping mistake is adding a lot of detail that 1.) is inconsistently spread over the place and 2.) gets in the way of gameplay (player always bumps into something, doesn't have space to move, can't look around well). Your detailing is quite well done from this point of view, while somewhere between simple and more complicated.

I also recommend you to practise at smaller scale, not a 32-map megawad right away. It'll help you to manage things in a reasonable time and with a quality-over-quantity approach. Perhaps keep making maps and adding them to your mapset, and try each new map to be better than the previous one. Trust me, I know how it is to have ambitious visions and then losing will and interest.

Not bad for a first map. A few minor errors, though:

1) You forgot the "lower unpegged" flag on the door tracks on the first door, which looks awful when the door opens.

2) The textures on the outdoor rock walls aren't aligned. Perfect alignment isn't necessary here, but when you've got several very short wall segments in a row with unaligned textures, the repeating texture segments look ugly.

3) You need to learn about the tutti-frutti effect, which affects your stacks of tiny crates. Textures shorter than 128 units do not tile vertically in vanilla Doom, leaving ugly coloured stripes instead.

4) Lines that make up secret doors should have the "secret" flag, which makes them show up as ordinary walls on the automap, thereby preventing them from being obvious. Note that this flag has no effect on the "secret" score in the game.

Paying attention to minor details like these will go a long way to making your maps seem more professional.

Foxpup said:

4) Lines that make up secret doors should have the "secret" flag

This is debatable. In most cases that would make the secret too hard to find, resulting in rage of many players who like to always achieve 100% secrets. There's a lot of advanced mappers who let the lines "non-secret" (to be noticeable on automap) and as the player I am glad for it.

Right usage of this flag depends on how much do you want to hide your secret. ;)