Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jaws In Space

Switcheroom (coming very soon)

Hello Doomworld,

Switcheroom

E1M1: E3M1 - Phobos Spaceport [Traversd]
E1M2: E4M2 - The Reactor [Traversd]
E1M3: E3M3 - Computer Lab [Jaws in Space] (Secret Exit)
E1M4: E4M4 - Sladwall Inc. [Saliva]
E1M5: E2M5 - Headquarters [Fernito]
E1M6: E4M6 - Against Thee Processing [Traversd]
E1M7: E3M7 - Transport Station [gothic]
E1M8: E2M8 - Gomorrah [Traversd]
E1M9: E2M9 - Abandoned Outpost [Traversd]

E2M1: E4M1 - Excavation [Traversd]
E2M2: E1M2 - Supply Overflow [schwerpunk]
E2M3: E1M3 - Bio Processing [Icytux]
E2M4: E3M4 - Mainframe Grid [Magnusblitz]
E2M5: E4M5 - - [SteveD] (Secret Exit)
E2M6: E3M6 - Bunker [Jaws in Space]
E2M7: E4M7 - Hell Is Coming [scifista42]
E2M8: E3M8 - Eridu [Death Egg]
E2M9: E3M9 - Deimos Spaceport [Traversd]

E3M1: E1M1 - The Baleful Fluids [Death Egg]
E3M2: E2M2 - Echo Of Pain [C30N9]
E3M3: E4M3 - Phlegethon [Magnusblitz]
E3M4: E1M4 - Hysteria [Jaws In Space & Tourniquet}
E3M5: E1M5 - Temple Of Demons [ShadesMaster]
E3M6: E1M6 - Mt. Terror [gothic] (Secret Exit)
E3M7: E1M7 - Bloody Premonition [scifista42]
E3M8: E4M8 - Abomination [Magnusblitz]
E3M9: E4M9 - Dread [Magnusblitz]

E4M1: E2M1 - They That Dwell Within [Megalyth]
E4M2: E3M2 - Their Torment Ascendeth [Magnusblitz] (Secret Exit)
E4M3: E2M3 - Instruments Of Cruelty [scifista42]
E4M4: E2M4 - House Of The Wicked [walter confalonieri]
E4M5: E3M5 - Burn Them Thoroughly [Jaws In Space & Magnusblitz]
E4M6: E2M6 - And Death Shall Flee [Death Egg]
E4M7: E2M7 - Evil Is Before You [gothic]
E4M8: E1M8 - Run To Evil [Memfis]
E4M9: E1M9 - Hate [EvilNed]

Rejected Maps

E1M1: E4M1 [Traversd] -Death Eggs decision to not use this map, which I was and still am very opposed to
E1M1: E3M1 [Doomkid} -rejected due to overabundance of homages to E3M1
E1M1: E3M1 [Megalyth] -Not an official submission
E1M2: E4M2 [Gothic] -Not an official submission
E1M2: E4M2 [Walter Confalonieri] -Rejected due to not resembling E4M2
E1M2: E4M2 [Walter Confalonieri] -A failed attempt at completely redoing his map
E1M6: E4M6 [Death Egg] -Gave up the slot to Traversd when he made a better map
E1M8: E2M8 [Scypek2] -Rejected due to poor quality
E1M9: E2M9 [Death Egg] -Gave up the slot to Traversd when he made a better map
E2M5: E4M5 [Jaws In Space] -Rejected for not being approved for the archive by Ty Halderman
E2M9: E3M9 [Capellan] -Rejected due to not resembling the current E1M1
E2M9: E3M9 [Jaws In Space] -Rejected for not being approved for the archive by Ty Halderman
E3M4: E1M4 [Flamen0d] -Rejected due to poor quality
E3M8: E4M8 [C30N9] -Rejected due to poor quality
E3M9: E4M9 [Jaws In Space] -Rejected for not being approved for the archive by Ty Halderman
E4M2: E3M2 [Magnusblitz] -Rejected due to being nothing like E4 or E3M2
E4M5: E3M5 [Joseph Lord] -Rejected due to poor quality
E4M5: E2M5 [Zinkai] -Accidentally made this instead of the other way around
E4M8: E3M8 [BloodyAcid] -Accidentally made this instead of the other way around

I'll give you a hand. Which maps need testing exactly? I'm assuming mostly the back half of E3 and most of E4.

Edit: Derp, I guessed right without really looking at your post. I'll take a look at some of them and see what I can do.

I started playing episode 4 and this i what i found so far

E4M2 the secret door that is marked with an arrow on the automap breaks the map when opened. Tested with boom and vanilla.
Another odd thing is that the triangular sector with the switch, that reveals after picking up the blue key, can be raised by 24 repeatedly. im not sure if this was intended.

E4M4 has a missing texture right before the exit.

tourniquet said:

I started playing episode 4 and this i what i found so far

E4M2 the secret door that is marked with an arrow on the automap breaks the map when opened. Tested with boom and vanilla.

Dafuq... hmm. Testing it with ChocoRL, it doesn't crash but instead displays a big glowing error that then becomes impassible as if the door isn't going up. It also creates a huge amount of errors in the thumb with the lava (likely due to the invisible ceiling trick used there). Unfortunately I also noticed that one of the sectors supposed to lower when you grab the yellow key no longer works either now. Which is weird because no one else seems to have noticed this (rather large) bug despite it existing in the July version I have.

Fuck... this is gonna take some work. But thanks for noticing those, really important.

Another odd thing is that the triangular sector with the switch, that reveals after picking up the blue key, can be raised by 24 repeatedly. im not sure if this was intended.

This is intended; relates to a secret.

@magnusblitz
If im not wrong then the problem is actually the line that should trigger the secret door to open cause its tagged as 0, change it to any D1 or DR action or give it tag then it should work....

A lot of these maps have empty REJECT tables, which is bad for demo synchronization. It's even worse on ports which don't "handle" REJECT overflows, where you get this:

It's not even consistent from one playthrough to the next, so demos can actually desync in different ways each time you play them.

Hi, just did a quick scan.

The main problems I found were:

As has been mentioned above, the following maps have zero length reject data:
E1M1, E1M2, E1M3, E1M4, E1M5, E1M7, E1M8, E1M9, E2M1, E2M2, E2M3, E2M4, E2M5, E2M6, E2M7, E2M9,
E3M1, E3M2, E3M4, E3M5, E3M6, E3M9, E4M1, E4M2, E4M5, E4M8
An empty / 'all zero' reject lump of the expected size is preferable to a zero length reject.

E3M3 - Side 522 references missing texture '-CKRED1'
E2M2, E2M5, E3M1, E3M7 - Have zero length segs and duplicate seg vertices (nodebuilder issue).
E3M4 - The yellow key is not needed, the yellow door opens without it.
E4M1 - The red key isn't needed, the red door (sector 93) needs the blue key to open it.
E4M2 - Line 1012 (S1 Door Open Stay) has no sector tag.
E4M9 - Sectors 305, 307, 308 have less than 3 lines. Also this map has 2 player 2 starts and no player 3 start.

Other minor problems:

Maps with DB starts (not a problem due to skill flags): E1M4, E1M5, E4M5
E1M1 - Thing 87 has no skill flags set.
E2M1 - Thing 49 DM Start on Cacodemon.
E2M9 - Thing 87 has no skill flags set.
E3M1 - Thing 51 DM Start on Imp.
E3M5 - Thing 180 DM Start on Sergeant, Line 243 has a special and tag but is not linked to a sector.
E4M3 - Thing 336 DM Start on Sergeant.
E4M5 - Thing 394 DM Start on Demon, Lines 1485, 1488 and 1490 have special and tag but are not linked to a sector.
E4M9 - Thing 330 has no skill flags set.

I will try playing through it if I get the time.
Hope this helps.

tourniquet said:

@magnusblitz
If im not wrong then the problem is actually the line that should trigger the secret door to open cause its tagged as 0, change it to any D1 or DR action or give it tag then it should work....

Yeah, I noticed I used a tag 0 switch action for the secret door which is a no-no in Vanilla. Should be an easy fix. I'm more worried about the teleporter not revealing after grabbing the yellow key, not sure what's causing that.

marineController said:

E3M3 - Side 522 references missing texture '-CKRED1'

Hmm, can you be more specific? Looking up sidedef 522 in DB2 points me to the back side of linedef 333, which is in the marble corridor near the plasma gun, which has no textures at all on that side.

EDIT: Nevermind, found it, it was sidedef 529. Thanks.

Played through all of E1, found no real bugs, just some automap flaws. Very good mapset, this is my kind of wad. Was not expecting the levels to be expanded on, just retextures with slight enhancements.

Hell Keep as E1M1 actually managed to be a decent level, HOLY SHIT!
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o181/Ekerezan/Doom/Screenshot_Doom_20140114_122549_zps72add333.png~original
The opening room is oddly missing on the map outside of the armour pool

"Perfect Plant" ahahaha. I suppose its more fitting than Nuclear Hatred. I expected much MUCH worse from this level.

Pandemonium re-textured to a techbase, I bet some one had fun doing that. This was THE chainsaw level, if Doom had this mapset from day one, this would the level to teach players how to use the chainsaw.
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o181/Ekerezan/Doom/Screenshot_Doom_20140114_125631_zpse95f0b48.png~original
All but three enemies are killable with it!
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o181/Ekerezan/Doom/Screenshot_Doom_20140114_125328_zps874210c4.png~original
This is pretty annoying, that pit around the pillar is only exitable form two sides, not all four.
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o181/Ekerezan/Doom/Screenshot_Doom_20140114_125133_zps2399858e.png~original
This barrel is the one barrel stopping the chainsaw run, making it have to be put away TWICE, for SHAME.
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o181/Ekerezan/Doom/Screenshot_Doom_20140114_131831_zps76ad9019.png~original
There is this strange little box on the automap that seems to be nothiung at all. Too small for anything, no item inside..

Oh hey, Fortress of Mystery! Which is now infinitely better. I love how its pure hitscanner hell for two actionpacked rooms, as if Romero just wanted a level to simply mow down a TON of dudes wiithout getting mowed down yourself.

Unruly Evil, in E1, is still a worthless throwaway level, sorry, theres no saving this one :p At least it was MARGINALLY harder, I actually died once! Probably should have been an ExM1, then it would have at least suited the slot.
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o181/Ekerezan/Doom/Screenshot_Doom_20140114_133114_zps638797b4.png~original
This spot is missing from the automap
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o181/Ekerezan/Doom/Screenshot_Doom_20140114_134220_zpsc5e3d965.png~original
As is this monster closet

Ahh, Command Control. Was hoping to see this in E1. One of the better conversions, so much classic E1 in here!
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o181/Ekerezan/Doom/Screenshot_Doom_20140114_140808_zpsdbd80c7e.png~original
This bit is missing from the automap.
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o181/Ekerezan/Doom/Screenshot_Doom_20140114_140647_zps7ef0478b.png~original
Whats this little line doing here?

THE best level ever to be named, AGAINST THEE PROCESSING. I forgot this one was coming, so I unfortunately choked on a drink as this wonderful name graced my screen. Really enjoyable level, would feel at home in the base game in an E1 slot. And of course being based on E4M6:
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o181/Ekerezan/Doom/Screenshot_Doom_20140114_141759_zps03add4a8.png~original

When I got to E1M7, the last thing I expected was Limbo. Wow, its hardly recognisable!
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o181/Ekerezan/Doom/Screenshot_Doom_20140114_143353_zpsa7659e4c.png~original
Start room's lines could use a bit more refinement but otherwise the level is fine.

And finally Babel Anomaly. Ehhhh, not really liking this. So much of the original feel is lost, the only cool thing is the wierd blue pillars that release the barons, but even then, they are too far away; you do not hear that roar that made pretty much everyone go "OH SHIIIT". Secondly, when the last one dies, its not clear at all what to do, there is no big lowering, or level end, instead you hunt down a small elevator that lowered, see a small symbol and step on it, then OH SHIT WHY AM I DIEING. I will give points for giving the rocket launcher an actual use in E1, its always been a novelty weapon for gibbing a bunch of dudes, never really needed at all
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o181/Ekerezan/Doom/Screenshot_Doom_20140114_143757_zpsb0beae1c.png~original
Whats with the chainsaw in the middle of the pillar? Surely thats a bug?
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o181/Ekerezan/Doom/Screenshot_Doom_20140114_144119_zpsec641f3b.png~original
One of the baron pillars is different to the others for seemingly no reason

All in all, I really enjoyed that, aside from the letdown of the boss map, but hey, Doom boss maps are usually letdowns anyway!

marineController said:

E1M1, E1M2, E1M3, E1M4, E1M5, E1M7, E1M8, E1M9, E2M1, E2M2, E2M3, E2M4, E2M5, E2M6, E2M7, E2M9,
E3M1, E3M2, E3M4, E3M5, E3M6, E3M9, E4M1, E4M2, E4M5, E4M8
An empty / 'all zero' reject lump of the expected size is preferable to a zero length reject.

I'm not familiar with this issue, how can I go about fixing this?

Ragnor said:

Hell Keep as E1M1 actually managed to be a decent level, HOLY SHIT!

Honestly I think the original version of this map is superior to this one, it had a lot more references to E1M1 which people seemed to dislike so I edited most of them out except for the secret E1M1 armor room.

Ragnor said:

"Perfect Plant" ahahaha. I expected much MUCH worse from this level.

You should have seen it before I got my hands on it.

Ragnor said:

Pandemonium re-textured to a techbase, I bet some one had fun doing that. This was THE chainsaw level, if Doom had this mapset from day one, this would the level to teach players how to use the chainsaw.
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o181/Ekerezan/Doom/Screenshot_Doom_20140114_125631_zpse95f0b48.png~original
All but three enemies are killable with it!
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o181/Ekerezan/Doom/Screenshot_Doom_20140114_125328_zps874210c4.png~original
This is pretty annoying, that pit around the pillar is only exitable form two sides, not all four.
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o181/Ekerezan/Doom/Screenshot_Doom_20140114_125133_zps2399858e.png~original
This barrel is the one barrel stopping the chainsaw run, making it have to be put away TWICE, for SHAME.
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o181/Ekerezan/Doom/Screenshot_Doom_20140114_131831_zps76ad9019.png~original
There is this strange little box on the automap that seems to be nothiung at all. Too small for anything, no item inside..

Oh yeah this was a very fun to make. From the very beginning I wanted this to be a chainsaw heavy map, I even asked the authors of E1M1 & E1M2 to remove chainsaws form their maps so it would be introduced here. I'll get right on fixing those issues.

Ragnor said:

And finally Babel Anomaly... I will give points for giving the rocket launcher an actual use in E1, its always been a novelty weapon for gibbing a bunch of dudes, never really needed at all

HA! and they wanted me to get rid of the rocket launcher & put the chain gun & shotgun back in. Also if you think this was bad, before I got to it there were only 2 Barons in the map.

marineController said:

E4M1 - The red key isn't needed, the red door (sector 93) needs the blue key to open it.

I can't believe I missed something so stupid. Thanks :)

Real life hasn't been kind to my free time ratio lately. I still haven't played most of this besides e1 yet, but I'll try to play further when I get home from work tonight.

Ragnor said:

"Perfect Plant" ahahaha. I suppose its more fitting than Nuclear Hatred. I expected much MUCH worse from this level.

...why?

Weird door texturing on E4M5:

Also in E4M5, behind the teleport destination in the main room:

This one actually lags the game really bad. The closer you are, the more it lags.

Just hacked through the first episode, really fun figuring out which maps have been switched (without checking the list). Not come across any bugs yet.

Okay, this should fix the problem tourniquet found with the secret door not being tagged properly, as well as the yellow key walls not falling correctly. Not entirely sure what caused the latter, I think it was an item being placed too close to one of the walls though.

http://speedy.sh/Y7Hwb/e4m2-fix.wad

Small update, I've finished with bug testing E3M6 & have now moved onto E3M7.

@Gothic: Sorry to say but there were just far to many slime trails to deal with in E3M6 so I had to pretty much remove all angles from the lava/ground border.

@Magnusblitz: Any update on a fix for E3M8? I should be done bug testing E3M7 & E3M9 fairly quickly so your map will be the only thing holding up E3 by the end of the weekend.

Now that E3 is close to being finished I decided to have a look at E4 for the first time. After a quick play through I've decided to go ahead & open up this project to replacement submissions, while Death Eggs policy of first come first serve did the job of filling map slots, it also allowed for a few maps to be included that are of lower quality compared to the rest.

Guaranteed to be cut:
E4M5 -Going to be cut, this is the worst map in this project.
E4M6 -This map should get the sandbox treatment to differentiate it from E2M6

The 2 maps mentioned above are guaranteed to be replaced, so if no one makes new versions by the time I finish bug testing the rest of E3 & E4 I will do them myself.

Now these are not the only maps that I think should be replaced, but I will leave it to others to remake maps they see not being of a high enough quality compared to the rest. Be aware that if you do decide to make what you think is a better version of a map, there is no guarantee that it will be included in this map set.

Jaws In Space said:

@Magnusblitz: Any update on a fix for E3M8? I should be done bug testing E3M7 & E3M9 fairly quickly so your map will be the only thing holding up E3 by the end of the weekend.[b]

Yeah, here's the e3m8 fix: http://speedy.sh/YhSDb/e3m8-fix.wad

Still pretty seg-heavy in those spots but I ran around a ton and never got over the limit.

Guaranteed to be cut:
E4M5 -Going to be cut, this is the worst map in this project.
E4M6 -This map should get the sandbox treatment to differentiate it from E2M6

The 2 maps mentioned above are guaranteed to be replaced, so if no one makes new versions by the time I finish bug testing the rest of E3 & E4 I will do them myself.

I dunno, elaborate more on why they need to be replaced?

E4M5 is weird in a lot of spots, I agree, and could probably use some overhauling in the thing department (I think the zombie hordes are fine, but the 4 barons stacked in cubes need to go) but I wouldn't say it's the worst map in the project. But if a better one is made, I wouldn't mind it - there's room for improvement.

E4M6? Really? It's probably one of the better maps in the project, not to mention it's one of Death Egg's. I also don't see why it needs a "sandbox treatment" as it does a good job of taking E2M6 and making it feel like E4, which is what the maps should be IMO - sticking closely to the layout and changing the textures/things/difficulty to match the episode. It doesn't need to keep the original E4M6's exploratory feel, the E1M6 replacement off of E4M6's base layout does that already.

The E1M6 I submitted was based on DeathEggs work so I'm more than happy for that map to be considered a collaboration.

E4M6 seems OK to me too (albeit the GSTONE needs vertical alignment to avoid midbrick cuts a bit).

There are parts where you could increase the connectivity/visibility into other map areas (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/56320770/e4m6-midgrate.png), but I'm not sure the original layout lends itself all that well to a much more open sandbox setup.

Just finished a playthrough, a lot of fun, here are some more things I found while testing:

E1M1 - You can get trapped in the exit room if the door closes.
E2M6 - Sector 58 doesn't lower (vanilla compatibility) - blocked by monsters.
E3M4 - Sector 45 doesn't lower (vanilla compatibility) - blocked by monsters.
E3M9 - Thing 377 blocks movement (vanilla compatibility) - perhaps change this to the non-blocking version (type 61).
E4M2 - Sectors 16, 19 & 22 don't lower (vanilla compatibility) - blocked by monsters.
E4M3 - Line 545 - Perhaps change S1 to SR so that the area can be re-entered without getting trapped.
E4M4 - Line 1229 has a missing lower texture.
E4M5 - Sector 37 damages the player.
Sector 203 has tag 9 (linked to a lift?), perhaps it was meant to be special 9.
The player can fall down the gap at 557, -788 and get stuck.
The BFG in the exit room seems to be unreachable.
E4M7 - Lines 1076 and 1078 looks a bit odd when the lift lowers.

@Magnusblitz
To build the reject just set / select appropriate settings for the nodebuilder.

Thanks to all people contributing to this testing (and also apologies that I don't take part on it myself). Just to adress the mentioned points about my maps:

marineController said:

E4M3 - Line 545 - Perhaps change S1 to SR so that the area can be re-entered without getting trapped.

Player doesn't get trapped when he re-enters that area. The S1 switch only opens the way to the secret. There's another SR line operating the actual lift. There should be no problems.

marineController said:

E4M3 - Thing 336 DM Start on Sergeant.

*laughs* I think you are too cautious. This kind of thing can't ever give any problems, as far as I understand. Sergeants aren't in DM, and DM starts mean nothing in SP.
I always simply disregard positions of monsters when placing DM starts. If it's anyhow bad, please explain me why and how.

marineController said:

E3M7 - Have zero length segs and duplicate seg vertices (nodebuilder issue).

I actually looked in SLADE and haven't found zero length segs or duplicate vertices now. The real question is, does it crash vanilla? If not, I wouldn't care even if it was there.

marineController said:

E2M7

That's a fault of Jaws in Space, he apparently edited my map (or I assume it was him). I only discovered it recently. Have to say, not a bad job you did there. To be honest, because I have always viewed E2 (and E2M7) as quite ugly, quirky, cramped and oddly-playing, and that's the reason why I haven't put my biggest effort into the map (yes, it is true).
If you can, please take care of the possible problem. You just need to go to your DoomBuilders Tools->Game Configuration and set the nodebuilder to a type which supports REJECT data. Then move a few vertices in a map, save it and it's done.

And I'm without any work. :p

No really, if you need anything from me, just say.

scifista42 said:
You just need to go to your DoomBuilders Tools->Game Configuration and set the nodebuilder to a type which supports REJECT data. Then move a few vertices in a map, save it and it's done.

Ah ha, thanks, I'll get right on that.

marineController said:

E4M2 - Sectors 16, 19 & 22 don't lower (vanilla compatibility) - blocked by monsters.

Yeah, this was the "walls by yellow key don't lower" issue I discovered incidental to the secret door not opening properly. I think it happened when I started working off a version Traversd detailed up for me, and he added some more detail to the thumb. Should be fixed in the last version I posted, but thanks for confirming the cause. (And let me know if the new one doesn't work! I tried it myself in ChocoDoom and it worked fine, but, the more eyes the better).

@Magnusblitz
To build the reject just set / select appropriate settings for the nodebuilder.

Okay, this is where my newbishness with map making shows. I don't really know much about nodebuilding. Checking DB2, my default for saving is "ZenNode - normal". Is that fine?

Jaws is the one doing the compiling, so does it need to be done on his end or mine? (My fixes were made off maps extracted from his compilation, not my own base versions).

Magnusblitz said:
Okay, this is where my newbishness with map making shows. I don't really know much about nodebuilding. Checking DB2, my default for saving is "ZenNode - normal". Is that fine?

Same here, but if I'm reading the Doomwiki correctly I need to use "BSP - Normal" for vanilla.

Switcharoom Bugfix for Episode 3

Holy crap that was way worse than E1 of E2! Now onto Episode 4, hopefully it will not be as bad as E3 was.

E3M1
-Texture alignment
E3M2
-Texture pegging on stairs that lower
-Texture Pegging on crushers
-Slime trails near exit
-Slime trails in sector 64/65
-Alignment of Red skull key door texture
E3M3
-Fixed Multiple Visplane Overflows
-Fixed Multiple Seg Overflows
-Removed tons of lime trails from red key blood pit
-Removed slime trails on lifts to get out of lava
E3M4
-Nothing
E3M5
-Nothing
E3M6
-Removed Visplane & Seg overflows, by lift that allows access to switch that lowers secret exit walls
-Removed Seg overflows by where you stand just past where the sectet exit switch walls lowered
-Removed Visplane & Seg overflows, by blue key building by doors looking down the path
-Removed all slime trails
E3M7
-Fixed Texture Alignment throughout
-A few minor texture adjustments throughout
-Removed slimetrails from under GSTFONT1 texture
E3M8
-Added Midgrate texture to disguise some slimetrails
-Removed slimetrails from blood river
-Removed slimetrails from lava pit with all powerups, ammo, & armor
-Removed slimetrails from flesh hallways
E3M9
-Nothing

Also went through & addressed all of the Non E4 issues that people have described. I think I fixed the Reject data, but I'm not positive, how can you tell exactly?

Jaws In Space said:
E3M3
-Fixed Multiple Visplane Overflows
-Fixed Multiple Seg Overflows
-Removed tons of lime trails from red key blood pit
-Removed slime trails on lifts to get out of lava

E3M8
-Added Midgrate texture to disguise some slimetrails
-Removed slimetrails from blood river
-Removed slimetrails from lava pit with all powerups, ammo, & armor
-Removed slimetrails from flesh hallways

Dude, WTF?

I appreciate you taking the time and putting in the effort to carry this project onto completion since Death Egg has gotten busy the last couple months, but I don't appreciate you making wholesale changes to my maps without my say-so.

First you point out the problems - fine. I provide a fix... and then you go ahead and make even more changes 1) to problems that I think are fixed and 2) to problems not stated before.

These aren't minor bug fixes or obvious improvements - changing the outside area of E3M3, for example, by removing the double-tier rockwall makes it look shitty (even the base E3M3 itself has the double-tier wall!). Not to mention it looks like you couldn't bother to even auto-align the textures once you were done gutting it.

I know that the problem areas with the seg overflows are still high in segs, but running around through them in ChocoRL, I have yet to see it go over limit on either of the fixed E3M3 or E3M8 which I provided. Also, where the hell are you seeing all these slime trails? I'm not seeing any in the places you mentioned (such as the flesh pits). I suspect it's because of the nodebuilder you're using, and I'm not sure yet that you need to use the Id one for vanilla (though of course if someone with more know-how proves me wrong on this, I'm open).

@scifista42

E4M3 - Line 545. Sorry about that I should've double checked.

DM Starts on Monsters -
It's probably something that few people do but deathmatch with monsters on single player maps can make for an interesting variation.
Being stuck in a monster at the start of a new level is a problem for this playstyle.
However, having said that when this does happen during the game it can be both extremely annoying (for that person) and highly amusing (for the other players).

Zero length segs, duplicate seg vertices -
I was referring to the data inside the SEGS and VERTEXES lumps. I don't think it matters anyway.

marineController said:

DM Starts on Monsters -
It's probably something that few people do but deathmatch with monsters on single player maps can make for an interesting variation.
Being stuck in a monster at the start of a new level is a problem for this playstyle.
However, having said that when this does happen during the game it can be both extremely annoying (for that person) and highly amusing (for the other players).

Getting stuck in a monster? Vanilla, maybe. I believed that at least in non-vanilla ports, a telefrag would happen instead. But I'm not sure if this assumption is correct.

So you say: Deathmatch. With monsters. On singleplayer maps. In vanilla. Few people do it, indeed. I think I'll let it be.

(Unless Jaws in Space already took care. *grinds teeth*)

scifista42 said:

Getting stuck in a monster? Vanilla, maybe. I believed that at least in non-vanilla ports, a telefrag would happen instead. But I'm not sure if this assumption is correct.

I'm pretty sure this assumption is incorrect. While it's true that in many ports players spawned or respawned during the game will telefrag whatever happens to be on that spot (though they can't in vanilla), players spawned at the start of a map cannot telefrag anything in any port I know of. This behaviour may stem from the fact that vanilla Doom doesn't check whether player starts are blocked at the start of the map; the check is only performed when players are respawned during the game, and it appears that most (all?) ports retain this behaviour except for the action taken if the start is indeed blocked (telefragging instead of selecting a different spot).