Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Obsidian

Into The Code - On the archives!

Pic 1.
Pic 2.
Pic 3.
Pic 4.
Pic 5.(I had some problems with screen resolution and now ZDoom takes giant pictures)

Into The Code is a vanilla wad of 6 computer themed maps using only the stock textures. I started making these near the end of November last year and 3 months and one mapper's block later the bloody thing is finally finished. There might be the odd bug, so let me know if you see anything odd. Enjoy!

Download here.

Archives link.

-Obsidian

Just beat map03 - Really enjoying this so far Obsidian! Very fun maps.

I checked how the map would handle the switch that raises up in map01 besing pressed before inteded. Very clever solution man!

I won't lie, I cheated to get the red key on map02. I searched/wall humped around the whole place and couldn't find out how to get it. I pressed both switches in that room too. What am I doing wrong?

The hellish parts in map03 are a lot of fun, great design within vanilla limits. Odamex was struggling a bit in the early room with the invisible bridge effect. The MIDI is pretty short, but that doesn't matter very much.

Overall, im really enjoying this set - I'll leave more feedback when I finish the whole thing. Great work!

Map02 has an issues when it comes to getting 100% kills with prboom. Sector 47 has a Cacodemon and a Revenant stuck together so they can't leave the sector.

Also, is sector 102 supposed to be a secret? It seems impossible to get without cheating and I wasn't able to register the secret with prboom or zdoom.

Doomkid92 said:

I won't lie, I cheated to get the red key on map02. I searched/wall humped around the whole place and couldn't find out how to get it. I pressed both switches in that room too. What am I doing wrong?

There is another switch in the room that you have to shoot.

I took notes while I played until I gave up on map03 with 6 health and seemingly unavoidable chaingunner fire. I'm not good enough at this game for that.

map01
I like this music
Maybe overdid it a little with all the dead marine decorations
Fuck those chaingunners at the end though

map02
Got some misaligned textures in this first room
I rather like the scrolling strobing borders of the first big room
Having a hell of a time trying to work out how I get ahold of the red key. First I saw the post about having to shoot something, then I couldn't find it and had to resort to checking the wad in Doom Builder. Maybe try making the light there brighter or strobing or something?

map03
That revenant teleporting to behind me was really devious
So was making me fight that group of four without any cover
How fight mancubus when no have health ;-;
How fight fucking thousands of chaingunners when have no health ;-;

Larzuk said:

Map02 has an issues when it comes to getting 100% kills with prboom. Sector 47 has a Cacodemon and a Revenant stuck together so they can't leave the sector.

Yikes, thanks for spotting that. Will fix.

meapineapple said:

How fight fucking thousands of chaingunners when have no health ;-;

There's a way to get past that bit while sustaining minimal damage. I need to put a warning sign of some sort there by the sounds of it though, so people have a bit more caution.

Pretty fun little mapset. MAP04 is definitely a bit on the weird side but still fun. I notice you really like making the player fight Arch-Viles with just a shotgun/chaingun...

Not a fan of how you've hardcoded vertical mouselook off, though - I understand why (likely because of the switch to get the red key in MAP02) but I still disagree with the decision.

I originally couldn't find that switch on map 2 either. I was doing an fda so figured I had the wrong complevel or something. That's the main problem with little subtle secret-y things, you never know if its a thing you overlooked or a bug like a complevel or whatever making something not work. So I tried fdas again starting on map 3. Quite interesting puzzly type stuff on those. I only beat a couple, the others I died and quit.
http://filesmelt.com/dl/thecode-fda-ggg.zip

Just played these, fun maps and clever use of theme. IoS fight was very easy but that's much better than a long drawn-out one, so I'm not really complaining.