Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TMD

MAYhem2048! Now on idgames!

I'm guessing you mean the exposed side of the door? Maybe delete the sector? It's hard to tell what's going on in that shot of yours.

cannonball said:

I've just about done my entry, though I must admit to building this map on a rather noob(ish) basis (drew the square out and built the map from there), so it will probably suck :P

LOL! That's exactly what I did. I suck at math. ;D But I figure that high monster stress can solve any problem.

cannonball said:

've just about done my entry, though I must admit to building this map on a rather noob(ish) basis (drew the square out and built the map from there), so it will probably suck :P

That's exactly what I did too—I've just been filling in the space with square rooms.

dobu gabu maru said:

That's exactly what I did too—I've just been filling in the space with square rooms.

Glad it's not me then.
Here is my map. It's called "Unfair and Square"
http://www.mediafire.com/download/cm5bmpmzktb7prm/myhem14cb.wad

Might need some tweaking depending on how strict the size rules are (the playing area is within the limits except for a couple of monster closets and one area you can AV jump to.
Difficulty settings have been added, just missing multiplayer stuff.

walter confalonieri said:
this evening i started a thing:

Looking good, walter, but in the first screenshot, the cast lighting coming through the window should start some distance away from the window itself, and its wall. The way it is now, it looks like light is shining on that wall from inside.

Logistic Base Zeta, remake of a map from my Katamori 1024 WAD, made after months of pause with mapping.

That thing on the right is the startpoint.

when I hopefully get this in a finishable state I might ask someone who's willing to help with balance and detail.

Download Besieged.

"The UAC have occupied a castle in the mountains and used it as a base of operations. After a sneaky booze-up in the castle cellars, you awake to explosions and the snarl of demons: it appears your castle is being besieged! Can you hold off the demonic onslaught?"

I haven't tested the gameplay 100%, so let me know if I need to add more ammo. Difficulties are implemented and I've added co-op and DM starts: if there's any deathmatch players who could give a few tips I'd be quite grateful.

Double post.

Also, has anyone noticed that having no texture seems to count as having a missing texture instead and it shows up as the 'ol checkerboard pattern in ZDoom? Some sort of strangeness in the texture definitions, I'll wager.

joe-ilya said:

Whoops (fixed the blue bars)
Call this 'canyon village'.

I DNFed your map, joe. This was "Doom as rail-shooter" with narrow passages crammed with medium to high-HP enemies and the player burdened with a Plasma Gum that doesn't kill them fast enough and, on top of that, blinds you with a pixel-cloud in close quarters. Further, every time you encounter a new weapon, you lose time as it's auto-selected, which gives the enemies a cheap shot at the player, and thus seems like a cheap move on the mapper's part. I'm guilty of the same thing in one of my maps, and it's done deliberately, but only once, whereas here it happens multiple times. This could be fixed by providing the player with all the guns except the RL at the start. I mean, why not? This is a shooting gallery, after all.

There's other aspects I found annoying, because the player can be attacked from every point of the compass while only being able to move forward or backward. There are high hitscanners sniping you that are too high to see, and sometimes they can snipe you from the other side of the map and you won't have any idea where they are. Then there are crazy angles that prevent you from firing effectively at monsters and this wastes ammo. Tons and tons of monsters rise out of solid floors. There are floor lamps at the RL which serve no purpose other than to make a strafe-jump more awkward. Good enough to make a map hard, but does it have to be irritating as well?

I do like the pace of the map -- very fast! -- and in fact I have something similar in mind for my punk rock map for your megawad project.

I never did find the exit, even on HNTR.

The main things that would make this map playable for me would be a major reduction in the heavy meat on the ground and the more or less complete elimination of high hitscanner snipers.

cannonball said:
Here is my map. It's called "Unfair and Square"

That's quite the pile of rectangles, cannonball. :P I quite enjoyed it when I accidentally played on HNTR. On that setting, it was hectic at the start but tipped in the player's advantage about halfway through.

UV was a different story. I killed the fenced-in Archie at my earliest opportunity, and ultimately DNFed the map owing to a lack of ammo. Sniping Revvies and Mancs presented a severe challenge on UV, and I didn't have enough ammo to eliminate them. This led to a lot of cautious play and running from enemies.

When it was time to cross the bridge guarded by the Arachnotron, this task was made all the more challenging by your use of the dark Imps in deep darkness. I died several times at this spot, often because of Imp fireball while I was circling the spiderbaby. You should have heard my profanity. ;D

I finally quit at the blue door because I had 2 or 4 shells, 2 Mancs on the other side of the door, Archies behind me, an Archie on the red key tower waiting to dust my ass, and very dim prospects for sneaking past the Mancs to grab the RL, which would only unleash some Cacos plus God-knows-what teleporting to the red key platform.

Ideally, I'd like the RL before I get the blue key, so I can have it on hand for the Archies. Then again, this map is titled "Unfair and Square" and I don't have to play it on UV. Still, I'd love another shell box and a Zerk -- a cannonball map without a Zerk? Blasphemy! :D

I'll try it on HMP soon.

The map looks very nice. I have no problem with orthogonal rooms, and this is well-detailed and textured, with excellent dark lighting to boot.

My death count was 16 at the point where I quit. This mapset is shaping-up to be real nasty on UV. ;)

Obsidian said:

I haven't tested the gameplay 100%, so let me know if I need to add more ammo. Difficulties are implemented and I've added co-op and DM starts: if there's any deathmatch players who could give a few tips I'd be quite grateful.

My bad on this playtest -- I played it with GZDoom instead of GLBoom, and as a result -- or at least, I assume so -- the 666 sector at the end didn't work, so I had to clip to the exit after looking at the map in DB2.

I started off feeling a lot of hate for this map thanks to the extremely obtuse progression at the start. You love your puzzles, don't you, Obsidian? ;D The thing that threw me off were the little triangles on the stairs. I had to open the map in DB2 to figure it out. I'll allow others to make their own progress. Players who are better at this sort of thing will figure it out. That, or we'll tar and feather you and ride you out of town on a rail. :D

So, we have an extremely atmospheric map with ominous music. I managed to find the Blue Armor on my own, which was a good thing given the forced punching of Revvies that soon followed. I died there the first time because I backed up, having only the pistol. In this case, running forward was the best bet, since that led to the Zerk. Once I had the Zerk, I defeated the Revvies on the first try -- amazing myself, since I've never fought that many Revvies with my fists before, but it was relatively easy if you camped the corner to take them on one at a time.

There followed a perfunctory battle with Lost Souls where I discovered that strafing left and right at the start, and hiding behind the platform, caused them to bump into each other and infight. A good ammo-saver there. Then there was another Lost Soul battle in the catacombs that I ran away from in order to conserve ammo.

The Blue Key room was pretty cool with some nice, easy fights, including the ring-around-the-rosie to create infighting at the Caco/Manc trap.

Once I finally got outside, I died 2 or 3 times from fighting the Revvies, Cacos and PE at low health. Luckily, I saved a game before jumping into the ground area, where I died twice in a row. And -- once again! -- we have tons of monsters insta-popping from the ground. Is that going to be the theme of this mapset? I know the defense is going to be that, historically, it's supposed to be the equivalent of a teleport, and further, we have limited space in these maps, but still, it looks goofy.

I used my saved game to get the Plasma Gun, since I already had the red key. Knowing what I was going to face, I was annoyed by the PEs that came and wasted my ammo, so I played that fight several times until I achieved a good result. After that, it was several deaths in the ground below, largely thanks to the obnoxious Archies that teleported in distantly, so that it was hard to take them out as they raised meat shields all around them, but however aggravating this was, I can't really bitch since I've done the same thing. ;D

This was the only really tough fight in the map, and went a long way towards bloating my Death Count to 11. I enjoyed the map overall. I would have liked more rockets for the end fight, but that would just make it easier. ;) I ended with 97% kills and had enough ammo to kill more, so I can't really complain. Managed 66% secrets, too. The main thing about the map is the way the architecture, dark lighting and music track created a brooding, menacing atmosphere. So only the opening puzzle, which conjured memories of Epic 2 puzzle-fuckery, really bothered me. Good map.

Sligenous

nonlinear, press six switches to lower the exit in the center. totally not tested in gameplay, SP, coop, or DM, although starts and extra monsters/weapons are there. also has a MOD for the music (is this allowed?).

if anyone is willing to help with the gameplay balance and/or detail i'll open it up to one person, but don't change the layout.

Nice one Paul! Always excited to see new pcorf maps.

One little issue I have with it. I understand that you probably added block monster lines near the bridge to avoid the monsters getting stuck on it. However, I think it really hurts the gameplay that the cacodemons can't chase you there. Perhaps you could remove the block monster flag and add little non-textured holes around the bridge instead? That way the ground monsters still won't get on the bridge (because they can't pass holes deeper than 24 units) but it won't stop the cacodemons from chasing the player. Hope that made sense. :)

SteveD said:

That's quite the pile of rectangles, cannonball. :P I quite enjoyed it when I accidentally played on HNTR. On that setting, it was hectic at the start but tipped in the player's advantage about halfway through.

UV was a different story. I killed the fenced-in Archie at my earliest opportunity, and ultimately DNFed the map owing to a lack of ammo. Sniping Revvies and Mancs presented a severe challenge on UV, and I didn't have enough ammo to eliminate them. This led to a lot of cautious play and running from enemies.

When it was time to cross the bridge guarded by the Arachnotron, this task was made all the more challenging by your use of the dark Imps in deep darkness. I died several times at this spot, often because of Imp fireball while I was circling the spiderbaby. You should have heard my profanity. ;D

I finally quit at the blue door because I had 2 or 4 shells, 2 Mancs on the other side of the door, Archies behind me, an Archie on the red key tower waiting to dust my ass, and very dim prospects for sneaking past the Mancs to grab the RL, which would only unleash some Cacos plus God-knows-what teleporting to the red key platform.

Ideally, I'd like the RL before I get the blue key, so I can have it on hand for the Archies. Then again, this map is titled "Unfair and Square" and I don't have to play it on UV. Still, I'd love another shell box and a Zerk -- a cannonball map without a Zerk? Blasphemy! :D

I'll try it on HMP soon.

The map looks very nice. I have no problem with orthogonal rooms, and this is well-detailed and textured, with excellent dark lighting to boot.

My death count was 16 at the point where I quit. This mapset is shaping-up to be real nasty on UV. ;)

As I'm nice, here is an update version of the map
http://www.mediafire.com/download/m0e55mnpmfmya7m/myhem14cb2.wad

Changes
Rocket launcher moved to blue key platform
Berzerk added
HKs removed from ledges and replaced with easier to kill monsters for better map flow.
maybe a sprinkle more ammo.

^ played your updated map cannonball—jesus you are a cruel mistress. Died about 5 times at the start until I finally cleared out the corner section of the map (the berserk was my saving grace), and got the PG. I really liked how tight and short the map was, pushing you to utilize every piece of ammo since each monster is an enduring threat until they're taken out. Only things I'd advise is somehow having the Lost Souls post-blue key show up a touch sooner as you can cream the AV with the RL before they become a nuisance, and that the tele in the damaging floor near the red key should be brightly lit up so the player knows to jump in it, as I was first looking for a lift down there. Neat stuff.

SteveD said:

Looking good, walter, but in the first screenshot, the cast lighting coming through the window should start some distance away from the window itself, and its wall. The way it is now, it looks like light is shining on that wall from inside.

fixed, worked more today and filled two more "palaces" in the village...

pcorf said:

Death Dungeon is complete.

I played the first version, but it looks like gameplay is unchanged in the revision, so this still applies.

I found this map to be good-looking and a lot of fun. The beginning and the march up to the red key were the tough parts. My total death count was 6, including 3 at the start as I tried to generate infighting, with little success. ;D I have some issues with the bridge, and agree with Memfis that it would be nicer if the Cacos could sustain pursuit. But there is also the issue of Chaingunners sniping my ass from above, firing through the bridge, and being basically invisible because I can't see them through the slats. That generated a little profanity. ;D

I think there can be a little more ammo on the march up to the red key, given that I died mostly from ammo stress in that location. I fought this area a few times to get an acceptable result. Luckily, I found the secret Plasma Gun, otherwise I might not have been able to finish the map. It's up to you, though, because ammo-stress is a valid design technique, though a Zerk would be nice if you want to pursue that course. There's also an unavoidable Medikit in Sector 194 that could be put somewhere more out of the way, since it's a very important power-up in that location, and I needed it after the fight, not before. ;) BTW, I missed the Soulsphere secret.

This map had nice, hectic fights and a good pace. Excellent work.

walter confalonieri said:

fixed, worked more today and filled two more "palaces" in the village...

Sounds good, walter. You're way ahead of me on this. I'm still at the first box. ;D

SteveD said:

I played the first version, but it looks like gameplay is unchanged in the revision, so this still applies.

I found this map to be good-looking and a lot of fun. The beginning and the march up to the red key were the tough parts. My total death count was 6, including 3 at the start as I tried to generate infighting, with little success. ;D I have some issues with the bridge, and agree with Memfis that it would be nicer if the Cacos could sustain pursuit. But there is also the issue of Chaingunners sniping my ass from above, firing through the bridge, and being basically invisible because I can't see them through the slats. That generated a little profanity. ;D

I think there can be a little more ammo on the march up to the red key, given that I died mostly from ammo stress in that location. I fought this area a few times to get an acceptable result. Luckily, I found the secret Plasma Gun, otherwise I might not have been able to finish the map. It's up to you, though, because ammo-stress is a valid design technique, though a Zerk would be nice if you want to pursue that course. There's also an unavoidable Medikit in Sector 194 that could be put somewhere more out of the way, since it's a very important power-up in that location, and I needed it after the fight, not before. ;) BTW, I missed the Soulsphere secret.

This map had nice, hectic fights and a good pace. Excellent work.

Seems like I am a more skilled player than what I think I am.

I will look into your suggestions. Glad you enjoyed it and found it hard because its hard for some people not to accept hard maps these days. Its bloody hard, trust me. What I do is grab the SSG, run past the Revenant and kill the Chaingunners first. And then sort out the others. But you can also fight in that opening room as well.

Memfis said:

Nice one Paul! Always excited to see new pcorf maps.

One little issue I have with it. I understand that you probably added block monster lines near the bridge to avoid the monsters getting stuck on it. However, I think it really hurts the gameplay that the cacodemons can't chase you there. Perhaps you could remove the block monster flag and add little non-textured holes around the bridge instead? That way the ground monsters still won't get on the bridge (because they can't pass holes deeper than 24 units) but it won't stop the cacodemons from chasing the player. Hope that made sense. :)

That is exactly the reason I used blocked monsters.

Well I will have to block any other monsters from crossing the bridge because they could get stuck up there and it would look odd. But since the floating red heads are the only monsters who can cross it may make sense. Only problem is is when they die on the bridge they will go either up or down. Maybe I could remove the bridge altogether and add pillars which are raised by a switch (like in WOS MAP10)

Or I could turn it into a bridge that raises.

SFoZ911 said:

Keep it in the 2048 zone and have it until the end of may?

I can do that.

See that you do!

Also, I plan to make a map for my own project this year. YIPPEE!

Made changes to my map Death Dungeon. Been doing lots of play testing and I am now very happy with it. This will be the final version.

The most noticeable change the main room. The 3D bridge is now gone and is now pillars. The block monster lines are now disabled allowing the Cacodemons to float free throughout the room.

The music was composed by me and is from MAP16 of WOS. Nearly used a Hexen track for the map (the song from Seven Portals) but decided my song would be better suited.

Download it: paulcorfiatis.com/pc_2048.wad

dobu gabu maru said:

^ played your updated map cannonball—jesus you are a cruel mistress. Died about 5 times at the start until I finally cleared out the corner section of the map (the berserk was my saving grace), and got the PG. I really liked how tight and short the map was, pushing you to utilize every piece of ammo since each monster is an enduring threat until they're taken out. Only things I'd advise is somehow having the Lost Souls post-blue key show up a touch sooner as you can cream the AV with the RL before they become a nuisance, and that the tele in the damaging floor near the red key should be brightly lit up so the player knows to jump in it, as I was first looking for a lift down there. Neat stuff.

Thanks for the feedback, I addressed the issues you had, hopefully the map works a little better now. Added a few more windows too
http://www.mediafire.com/download/2zhffwh64ng1g6h/myhem14cb3.wad