Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TMD

MAYhem2048! Now on idgames!

tourniquet said:

Slow progress, currently i've not that much time to work on my map but i'll get this done on time.

that first shot looks very sexy, good stuff :)

pcorf said:

Its bloody hard, trust me.

"Bloody hard," is it? Here's my demo for the newest version; http://www.mediafire.com/download/w06u8b9bl7qfxbd/pcorf2048.lmp

The start is much nastier now that the bridge is gone. I had Hell's own time getting a start worth recording, and after that, some bad playing, plus a few stupid mistakes, like that utterly embarrassing second Hell Knight hit, almost stopped me.

As you watch me stumble and stagger through your map, keep in mind, I'm a terrible player. I'm a one-handed keyboarder, doing all my movement on the numeric keypad. I actually have a second hand -- I'm not an amputee ;D -- but the only thing I do with my left hand is hit the fire key. I really must learn the mouse someday.

My main technique for beating maps is to simply be stubborn. ;D Also, GLBoom is not my normal port. I typically play using Risen3D, which is much faster and smoother. Indeed, Risen3D's Always Run mode is so fast you can do straight jumps that require strafe-jumping in other ports. Heh! GLBoom controls feel very "heavy" to me compared to Risen3D, and I had a little trouble controlling my movement, but I've also learned that punching Pinkies is better in GLBoom than with Risen3D's unforgiving auto-aim, plus the tendency to "slide" in Risen3D when I want to stand and deliver a punch.

Anyway, I kicked your map's ass. ;D But it's a good stiff challenge, kept me turning, and gave me a great workout. Tremendous fun, I say, and now that I've adjusted the gamma, it looks even better than the first time I played. :)

Hurricyclone said:

nonlinear, press six switches to lower the exit in the center. totally not tested in gameplay, SP, coop, or DM, although starts and extra monsters/weapons are there. also has a MOD for the music (is this allowed?).

if anyone is willing to help with the gameplay balance and/or detail i'll open it up to one person, but don't change the layout.

Wow, can this be the same Hurricyclone who bitches and moans any time someone puts more than two hitscanners in a map? Hardy-har-har! ;D

This is like a mashup of the old Amiga FPSes Alien Breed 3D and Nemac IV. Never heard of 'em? Well, here's one of two Amiga Longplays of AB3D, and even on the first map you can see that this game has genuine deep water plus an over-and-under 3D engine. Too bad they aimed it at bone-stock Amiga 1200s, so they did all the graphics in 2x2 pixel mode instead of the sharper 1x1, making the game a bit hideous. You'll also notice a switch texture that looks strangely familiar. ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKxcE5pCgiI

It's really the textures and the layout of your map which reminds me of this game.

And then there's Nemac IV, with an enhanced Wolfenstein-grade engine -- the ceiling height can vary -- and wonky textures; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JtYff1b5xI

Heh, you never know what old SteveD will come up with, do ya? ;D I should start a thread in General about Amiga Doom Clones.

Anyway, you pull some dick moves in this map, like blind leaps that land you in front of Hell Knights. Infinite tallness issues were frequent, and I gave up trying to find the last switch. BTW, I went to God Mode after a bit because you had ammo, health and high monster stress. And you said the gameplay wasn't balanced, though I think a good enough player could handle this pretty well. This map also seemed very big given the limits on design. Kudos for that.

We'll see if someone can jump in on this to help you. I can't because I'm totally buried right now.

Edit: I liked the MOD track, and plan to use one myself. I see no reason why it should not be allowed, but that's up to TheMionicDonut.

Have a (unfinished) map. I am in lazy mood to figure monster placement for today, probably finish it after weekend. But I'll appreciate the feedback.

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ox28196l9rivucp/m2048_bof.wad

Name: Balls On Fire
Build time: 9 days, on and off
Music: Radix: Beyond Void - E1M3
Notes: Yeah, unfinished. And keep moving, okay? Don't let monster count deter you - 100% kills are possible, if you can get those switches.

kermode said:

Will this be the first 2048 wad or are there others?

There is WOS MAP21: 2048 BC

The opening outdoor city area is 2048x2048

pcorf said:

There is WOS MAP21: 2048 BC

The opening outdoor city area is 2048x2048

wow, I never knew about this!

CorSair said:

Have a (unfinished) map. I am in lazy mood to figure monster placement for today, probably finish it after weekend. But I'll appreciate the feedback.

Just a quick note, since I don't have the time quite yet to shred through this many monsters, but it's pretty damned cool. I was also thinking of something along these lines for my map -- but not this many monsters! I'll have to make some alterations to my idea now.

I didn't keep track of my deaths, but it wasn't a huge number. Then again, the farthest I got was to die just as I grabbed the blue key. I'll try to jump back into it soon.

cannonball said:

Thanks for the feedback, I addressed the issues you had, hopefully the map works a little better now. Added a few more windows too
http://www.mediafire.com/download/2zhffwh64ng1g6h/myhem14cb3.wad

Played the revised revision on UV. Still a pulse-pounder for most of its length. Here's my stats;

Kills - 102, Items - 100, Secret - 100. Time - 12:57. End Health - 100, Armor - 59. Shells - 16, Bullets - 17, Rockets - 6, Cells - 20. Death Count - 14.

Yeah, this is still a classic tough-as-nails cannonball map. The RL was nicely placed. On my second grab of the Blue Key, I was able to dust Archie with it before the Lost Souls fucked my world up. Actually, they didn't that time, so I parked and waited for most of them. That was the sloggy bit. I got tired of playing it safe and charged the last 3.

Putting Sergeants in place of that Hell Knight overlooking spiderbaby's platform was good in 2 ways -- they were easier to kill when I finally got at them, but before that, they caused a lot more damage plinking away at me than the HK ever did. Indeed, they were so effective that I was forced to open a save and snipe them from a different location before tackling spiderbaby. Much to my surprise, I also got a wonderful gift in the bargain! ;)

The Zerk was much appreciated. On the run where I actually survived the start, I was just about to die when I grabbed it and KOed a Revvie with one punch. That was so much fun.

On this playthrough, I left that first Archie alive until the end, a risky move with all those windows, and one of the reasons I was sweating through the whole map. Outstanding work, cb.

Can I put a walkover exit line at the very edge of the 2048x2048 square? Or would you say that technically part of the player's body will escape the square at exit?

Uh, and can I place monsters outside of the 2048x2048 square? And I mean not in monster closets but where they will be able to attack the player. It's a big part of my map.

Memfis said:

Can I put a walkover exit line at the very edge of the 2048x2048 square? Or would you say that technically part of the player's body will escape the square at exit?

I recall one of the maps in Congestion 1024(MAP29?) did something like that, so I'm guessing you could probably do that.

Uh, and can I place monsters outside of the 2048x2048 square? And I mean not in monster closets but where they will be able to attack the player. It's a big part of my map.

Yeah, it's just the player that has to stay inside the box. Nothing about monsters.

you are welcome to use area outside the 2048 box for detail or monster closets, but the doomguy cannot leave that square without instantly dying or exiting the map.

I believe the part of the rules I've quoted in bold is the one most important and determining. I'd say you can do both things as they both comply. Joe-ilya already used a walkover line on a boundary as an exit.

Memfis said:

Both of those are fine. The former is explicitly stated as allowed in the rules. But yes, just about anything is allowed outside the 2048 box, just as long as the player cannot access it.

Details, architecture, monsters, shootable switches. As long as the player does not leave that box, it is fair game.

SteveD said:

This is like a mashup of the old Amiga FPSes Alien Breed 3D and Nemac IV. Never heard of 'em? Well, here's one of two Amiga Longplays of AB3D, and even on the first map you can see that this game has genuine deep water plus an over-and-under 3D engine. Too bad they aimed it at bone-stock Amiga 1200s, so they did all the graphics in 2x2 pixel mode instead of the sharper 1x1, making the game a bit hideous. You'll also notice a switch texture that looks strangely familiar. ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKxcE5pCgiI

It's really the textures and the layout of your map which reminds me of this game.

And then there's Nemac IV, with an enhanced Wolfenstein-grade engine -- the ceiling height can vary -- and wonky textures; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JtYff1b5xI

Heh, you never know what old SteveD will come up with, do ya? ;D I should start a thread in General about Amiga Doom Clones.

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. d: thanks for the comments though.

also, here's where the MOD is from:

Getsu Fune said:

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. d:

Eh, don't worry, I might have been drunk! ;D

But, wait . . . you're not one of those young whippersnappers who doesn't know what an Amiga is, are you?

And now you've changed your handle? I'm feeling dizzy . . . :D

Never played Terminal Velocity, but definitely a cool MOD.

Looking nice Breezeep, I was looking forward to seeing yours in action after the screenshot. It's a fun romp and very nice-looking map. However, a few complaints:

- As scifista and SteveD were discussing in the the thread earlier, I think this map suffers from the bilateral symmetery - the quest for the blue key and the quest for the red key are almost exactly the same, with a symmetrical path and symmetrical monster encounters. I don't think you should rework half the map at this stage, but maybe something to think about in the future. I had a lot of fun going through the blue key section, but when I got to the red key section and realized it was going to be exactly the same I was a bit disappointed.

- There's a bunch of spots where the bricks don't align: Example 1, Example 2

- The midtextures here seep into the floor (this might be just a ZDoomism, I'm not sure if it happens in Boom as well). It occurs when the sector on either side of the midtexture shares the exact same light and height and texture - changing any of those (such as changing the light from 128 to 127 for example) will fix the issue.

Magnus just said pretty much what I was about to write. Beautiful looking Scythe 2 style level but it needs some more work with texture alignment and these bleeding textures need to be fixed (they bleed in Boom too BTW).

And yeah, the two key quests feel like replaying the same thing twice. I think you can fix this a little by altering the monster placement in one part.

Oh, and these demon+revenant ambushes are pretty weak to be honest. Killing the demons with SSG is completely trivial and then you have to just camp from behind a corner for about 20 seconds to deal with the revenants. Not very exciting, I think you can do better than that.

Also check out the bleeding sector here: http://i.imgur.com/yZDiIOY.png

Oh, one more thing I forgot to mention - it feels a bit awkward having the switches by the blue/red bars not open the bars, but instead open switches back down below in the water that open the bars. Like an unnecessary step... if there were monsters that teleported in back up top once you hit the switch, it'd make sense.

good idea, but one complaint I have with software prboom is that it could be a pain in the ass to work with.

ok, V2 of Emerald Gardens is up. click me

I decided to add some barons in one of the ambushes.
Let me know if there is anything else wrong with this.

Just for shits 'n giggles, a pic of the map I'm working on;

My original idea for a HellTech arena wasn't working out, so I decided to go in the direction of the GothicHell theme that GRB, Obsidian, cannonball and pcorf did so well, except mine is basically a 2-room arena. Essentially, it's an Amiga Demo Party map, so if it's rejected here, I'll use it there, albeit opened up a bit, like GRB plans to do with his map.

I'm thinking of doing another version of this in a more traditional style with walls and corridors, and submitting that, too. ;D

This version should be ready in a couple days.

Alright, I decided to post my map. I know I could keep working on it, add some more details and stuff but the question is... do I need to or is it good enough already? Tell me what you think. Download.

Heh, they were impassable at some point but I changed that to allow arch-vile jumping through them. I know what I'll do: I'll make one of them impassable and change the other one to broken stained glass, I think there was such texture.