Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
datacore

[PrBoom] Hatred Removed

Hello! e1m3 crashes Prboom+ for me with over 2000 errors! I think the problem is that you inserted DEMO1 after the E1M3 marker. That is bad, you shouldn't insert anything between the MAP marker and BLOCKMAP lump.
Also in the readme you credit some people for music but there is no new music? And the wad name in the readme is wrong too. :P

E1M3 crashed Zandronum and ZDoom too. I've quickly blasted through the remaining maps. Those are fine maps to begin with, but their quality is kind of spoiled by the very same imperfections as in The Bloodshed Began. You're already far above the inexperienced mappers who tend to build square rooms with wonky unbalanced gameplay. You are very able to structure the level well, make a varying environment and some nice little fights. Still, most of your work turns out quite bland, with not enough ideas. We Doom players are after interesting ideas, nice (visual, gameplay) settings and combat situations. Switchhunts and straightforward shooting are already stale, specially when you don't put that much effort into visuals. Player can enjoy to run through such maps, but he had probably already seen so much of similar designs that he'd prefer something more advanced. I've enjoyed a casual run through this mapset. (Didn't understand, are these your older maps, or a new wad, your first for the D1 IWAD?) I can recommend you to start thinking how to prepare a fun experience even for players who had seen a lot in their carriere, and utilize variety of ideas wherever you can in your maps. You can do it, you're already doing well. Good luck!

Once I'd fixed the error memfis mentions, I played all the maps (UV, pistol starts, no saves, Prboom+). Not a bad little episode. Not very challenging, and once you'd got past the start of each map, rather overammoed. But pretty good in terms of design and gameplay flow.

Note: given that there was already a known bug, I played with Boom compat (-complevel 9) and most of the "compatibility with common mapping errors" options turned on. I didn't feel like being a beta tester today.

One irritation: in some maps the berserk pack came not long before the exit, and too late to be of much use. Also, do you realize how easy E1M8 is to exit without firing a shot?

E1M3 had similar problems as the rest and as I had mentioned, but anyway it was probably the best one from the set. Except that parts involving cacodemons got to be unnecessarily tedious, taking a long time to kill them while not being compensated by a sufficient challenge. I did like a certain usage of blue "light spots" on the floor, where it was just the different flat, but looked like if light was casted from the light source on the ceiling above. Unfortunately it was just a small, easy to unnotice part of one room.

I've also noticed that you sometimes tend to take heavy inspiration by certain IWAD maps/parts. Not that it's downright bad, there can definitely be interesting ways how to play with them. But, random tributes usually only seem weird, and don't satisfy people as much as you might think. Players are mainly curious about your original work. Keep that in mind before you place a homage next time.

E1M8 is indeed a no-challenge if you decide to not kill any monster in the final area and just press switches and rush to the end.

Unfortunately I'm unable to play your WAD because I don't have the DOOM.wad IWAD :/ I could imagine the quality of it though since you've submitted 2 excellent maps to my Deathmatch Project.

On another note, I haven't seen you on the forums in such a long time lol. I'm not sure if you have seen the official version to DMR, but you can get it here: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=levels/doom2/deathmatch/Ports/megawads/dmr_2014.zip and you can find it on the Absolute Wrath - Deathmatch Revived ZDaemon server.