Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Z0k

Complexe16 (DooM64 Ex) Looking feedback for map04 and map06!

im planning to make this at least a 9 maps wad
oh forgot to say: this one its for Doom64Ex Sourceport
======================================================================
Anyway:

Complexe16 (Complexe.wad) its my first wad with doom64 style, i would like to do more "tech bases" rather the hellish maps that doom64 have (i like tech bases forgive me!) if you like to wait for the wad, i tell you that im a slow mapper, but im going to focus ONLY on this wad since i want this to be my first complete project (i tend to not finish my projects because i like to map in other style lets say Hexen or Strife or Doom etc) or you can try the maps i complete and give me feedback to improve them while im working on them.
Map List:

Map01: Storage Area (100%) (z0k)
Map02: Abandoned Station (100%)(z0k)
Map03: Waste Disposal Center (100%)(z0k)
Map04: Excavation Site (100%)(z0k)
Map05: Underground Labs (0%)
Map06: Research Central (100%)(DMphobos)
Map07: Communication Complex (0%)
Map08: Retrieval (0%)
Map09: Complexe Invasion (0%) <Secret map>
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/8gukzelx2ilai15/complexe.zip

Screens:

MAP01:
http://i.imgur.com/4P9u6gV.png
http://i.imgur.com/4PYMhdX.png
http://i.imgur.com/AK7yWc3.png

MAP02:
http://i.imgur.com/KYZXzYN.png
http://i.imgur.com/iNE5uh5.png
http://i.imgur.com/ocKkZ3Q.png

Map03:
http://i.imgur.com/eL5jn4i.png

Special Thanks to:

- Id Software For Doom & Quake Series.

- Kaiser for his awesome doom64 sourceport as well the Doom Builder modification to make Doom64 maps.

- Sector666 for all the orientation with some D64ex editing

- Stecki for deConstruct Industrial Textures Wad

- David Gevert for DarkBase Texture Wad

- Nick Baker for MORTRES Texture Wad

- Pawel Zarczynski for NMNCORP 1 & 2 Texture wad

- Jim Flynn, Ty Halderman, Paul Schmitz for The Return Texture Wad

- Daniel "Tormentor667" Gimmer For Too much brown wad

- DrDoctor For Doom64 Texture Variants Wad

- Ceeb For Quake 2 & Quake 3 Texture Wad Conversion

Edited by Z0k

Looks cool z0k!! Yellow lighting was a nice choice.

This does look really cool so far! I'm glad someone is taking the time to make some maps for the Doom64EX port.

I'll be keeping my eye on this. Good luck with the rest of your maps!

Thanks for the comment guys!.

the only thing that worries me its the lack of macros (i described the problem i have here: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-editing/69642-doom64ex-uhmm-a-little-help/)

since with those things i can do like if players take red key a bunch of enemies will appear. or pressing a swicht the ceiling will go down and raise to reveal stairs. that was the kind of stuff i loved most in doom64. unless macros dont work anymore with the macro tab (which dont appear anymore in my editor) then i dont have clue how these works.

for now map01 probably will look that i just played around with different light color. so i will use a bit more yellow for areas with nice amout of light, (and looks nice as 40oz said). the plans i have its as players reach more and more depth into the complex the maps will start to be more and more darker. hope i can achieve that.

my other goal its to work with the space texture to give the feeling of a tech base to the maps since those are just a few i find it a bit hard to work with them. (hope someday doom64 ex get an editor like slumped to add new textures jeje i think its valid to dream).

so for now i think the maps wouldnt have that sweet effect that macros can achieve because in the end i never found a way to bring back macros tab in linedef edit.

well working with map02 now.

Finally after 1 month working on map02 now its finished!:
https://www.mediafire.com/?a2d12f8vbbfqq3i (NOTE: i change the download to MEGA since mediafire still giving always the 502 timeout error even if i restarted my router i will set mediafire again as download as soon this issue solve)

I will need little help with it but in the sense of if someone can find bugs and stuff like that, and mostly: Monster placement, because i want this to be hard without being so tedious. Some Feedback will helpful because i will take them on mind as soon i start map03.

Also will take a bit of time until i start map03 since im going to think how i will make the maps along with "some other" stuff im going to add to the wad.

Everything works.

Good maps, if a little underpopulated and confusing. MAP01 in particular feels empty, also the pink sectors are slightly over the top. MAP02 shows progress compared to MAP01; I especially liked the lighting - very atmospheric. Nice work.

Not sure I understand the logic behing the plasma rifle puzzle. I saw something that looks like a clue, but it wasn't very helpful in picking the combination.

Da Werecat said:

Not sure I understand the logic behing the plasma rifle puzzle. I saw something that looks like a clue, but it wasn't very helpful in picking the combination.

Nice! thats the thing i was expecting from the puzzle! that someone who understand the clue can get earlier the plasmagun.

idk how to add that spoiler tag or make invisible the text but here is the solution:

<<< EDIT: Removed the spoiler >>>

basically players should activate them in order of how they looked in the clue, maybe i was kinda "evil" by adding the same swicht texture in the other panel but i fixed it in the new version im going to upload. Also i didnt noticed the missing swicht that raise the bars on blue key now its fixed again. but probably im going to change the clue for this puzzle once i set some of the things to the wad that im planning to add and probably will be ready once im done with map03

About Map01 yeah pink light was silly by my part but im going to "fix" many thing on that map once im done with the 7 maps i still need to make, can you tell me what it need map01 so it cant feel so empty?. Thanks for the feedback!

Z0k said:

maybe i was kinda "evil" by adding the same swicht texture in the other panel

Yeah, the problem was that one switch was repeated, which added an element of luck to the puzzle.

can you tell me what it need map01 so it cant feel so empty?.

Maybe just a few more monsters here and there?

Good good, like both maps. I agree on the partial emptiness of Map01, more enemies would spice it up cuz right now this seems even for an opener quite underpopulated.

Map02 works a lot better, more enemies traps and ambushes.
Difficulty felt ok, played on "Watch me die" without problems, if your aiming for hard maps i would say theres still room for further gains.

Z0k said:

(hope someday doom64 ex get an editor like slumped to add new textures jeje i think its valid to dream).

Adding textures for Doom64 EX isn't hard. Just create a T_START and T_END marker lumps, and put some PNGs in between them. You'll be able to use these images as textures from now on.

@Da Werecat & Tourniquet

Alrighty then, now that i know how to use pretty well D64Ex builder and the macro system i will edit some parts map01 to be on par with map02 maybe i can do it now before start with map03 instead waiting to finish the whole wad.

@Gez

actually i have a set of textures ready to be added to the wad, Sector666 have helped me a lot with solving most of my doubts with doom64ex as well with the wiki, thanks to him i know how to use macro now (i appreciate that dude!)

probably map03 will feature the new textures, as well i going to use some of the textures i used on compound invasion for the secret map (and frm the reviews i got from DWMC i know what im going to change for the big version of the map)

Not new map. only changes made to map01 if anyone can tell how you find the changes to the sector lighting and some of the mobs added i will appreciate it.

i was planning to add a more "monster spawn" once player enter to the "medical room" but i found kinda quite "harsh" on the chainsaw area to the point that i almost got killed there (so i removed 2 lost souls from there)

so anyway. the new version of map01 can be found here:

https://mega.co.nz/#!YplCjaoL!dlX_-yvMfemtinllYXBNuOPp5Hv8JsiF3sQVNCXJQgg

now working on map03

hey Z0k I just played your maps... especially the second one looked really nice.

In case you want an opinion... I thought the item placement could be enhanced. There was health and ammo basically all over the place throughout the whole level. Providing less ammo and health might improve gameplay

@Doohnibor

Dont worry ;) thats why i post the map to get the proper feedback to improve them once i finish them so when the full 8 map are done players would have a good wad. once i finish a map i post it here and i do some changes here and there to the previous maps :B.

Doohnibor said:

There was health and ammo basically all over the place throughout the whole level.

I'll have to take that back... somehow the skill setting of my launcher was accidentally switched to easy when I played it yesterday ; )
I just noticed it today when I played a map that I know and everything seemed to be different. So I corrected the setting, replayed your map on "i own doom" and it was a totally different experience.
VERY GOOD!!! Really.... I loved it. The very non-linear layout of you map makes it even more challenging and fun... and I liked the way how you "re-populate" the map with enemies in a clever way.
All in all very professional work so far. I hope you will keep it up and I am very much looking forward to the final wad!

Thanks

EDIT:
Just a thought.... maybe you should edit the title of your thread and add something like "for DOOM64". THis way you might get alot more attention. I never would have found this thread if you hadn't posted the link in my thread.

hey z0k, you can put both unpegged flags on door tracks for split doors so they won't slide. it works every time! :)

@impboy4
oh man i forgot to add them on map01, but thanks for the reminder! im going to do it once im finish the map03 since im working on it when i can because the little time i have but i will keep my work only there so i can finish this wad, i want it to be my first wad project that im going to finish.

@doohnibor
thanks im going to add for which port is.

Today i was about to post the third map of the mapset for complexe16 but sadly i got this error:

Error - Ploadblockmap: Bad
Blockmap - Index >= Numlines

if anyone know how to fix it here is the link to the map:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/z5b6al4uh2qc5bo/Complexe.zip

if i get the fix today i probably will upload the map today since it just a small part that need to be done before teh map get 100% of job done.

Thanks!

These maps are actually really good looking, I wish I could play them more extensively but my sound on doom64EX wont work so playing the maps on silent is rather annoying. Hopefully I can get this problem fixed soon so that I can write a proper reply.

Hope you get map03 working, I gave up on doom64EX mapping because there isn't a lot of documentation on it.

i cant manage to fix the problem :/ i honestly need help with this about finding what its the problem that cause the:

Error - Ploadblockmap: Bad
Blockmap - Index >= Numlines

i will give some last try today if not i will ditch the project since i cant continue with my map and honestly dont feel like to redo again 2 months of work

Have you tried posting the error in the Doom Editing subforum, i can't help you with that specific problem but perhaps someone else could.

Jaxxoon R said:

This is the beginning, time to drag D64 Ex modding out the sidelines.

Agreed.

Unfortunately, I tried editing for Doom64 EX, but had stability issues with Doom Builder 64 corrupting my maps.

I'm a big fan of Doom 64 so it's always nice to see something being made for Doom64 Ex. Looking at the screenshots tells me that's there a lot of passion going into this project, so I'll have to try it out.